• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sub2000

Dec 19, 2016
    Is there any places in maryland that you recommend for wilderness backpacking (not car camping)? The only decent place I know of is Green Ridge State Forest.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    We used to camp out near blue lick mountain and always hiked some trails there. But we did park at our camp, walk in and out in the same trip.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm guessing you mean * Dispersed. Backcountry Camping * , " Wilderness " has its own specific meaning .

And to be on the same page , do you mean strictly Backpack in , or away from established campground/ official campsite , but accessible by 4 x 4 or high clearance vehicle ?

If the former how long of a hike in are you thinking ?

Do you mean for right now , or doing research for later on ?

The AT is what it is , to whit well known to general public , popular, and frequently crowded .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Savage River and Greenridge are about it. Otherwise, you have to head on over to WV. Cranberry Backcountry and Dolly Sods are two great areas over there. Advice on both of those, do not go in the winter months. You'll wake up with 3+ feet of snow on top of you without warning.

sub2000

Dec 19, 2016
    Savage River and Greenridge are about it. Otherwise, you have to head on over to WV. Cranberry Backcountry and Dolly Sods are two great areas over there. Advice on both of those, do not go in the winter months. You'll wake up with 3+ feet of snow on top of you without warning.
    I was just in the Dolly Sods a couple weeks ago and it was snowing then too. Luckily, the 2nd day was sunny and had a successfully proposal by the waterfall.

I love the Cranberry backcountry and Dolly sods (especially when there is lots of snow (less people, no bears/snakes, no bugs, no sweat, all fun minus being cold)
    Hoping to summit mount washington for new years!

sub2000

Dec 19, 2016
    Savage River State Forest. There's a couple of other ones out there as well. But Savage River is great

I've done all of the maryland AT so I think I'll try Savage River state forest since that has been mentioned several times. Thanks!

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Our Boy Scout Troop just did the C&O Canal in WV, ~15 mile hike through the Tunnel?

I know it's not in MD, but within ~3 hrs of Annapolis.

Q

sub2000

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm guessing you mean * Dispersed. Backcountry Camping * , " Wilderness " has its own specific meaning .

And to be on the same page , do you mean strictly Backpack in , or away from established campground/ official campsite , but accessible by 4 x 4 or high clearance vehicle ?

If the former how long of a hike in are you thinking ?

Do you mean for right now , or doing research for later on ?

The AT is what it is , to whit well known to general public , popular, and frequently crowded .
    That's correct, dispersed backcountry camping. I prefer a less official campsite, but one that has access to water and a campfire ring. To me I prefer something not accessible by 4x4 or other high clearance vehicles (mostly because i dont want to be able to hear any vehicles when im trying to get away from it all)

I dont mind doing a 30 mile 3-4day hike. And all of this is for research later on. I mostly go to Spruce knob, Dolly Sods, the AT, greenridge SF, and the cranberry wilderness, so I am looking for something closer in Maryland instead of always going to WV.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015

Dolly sods is a must see! Just beautiful

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That's correct, dispersed backcountry camping. I prefer a less official campsite, but one that has access to water and a campfire ring. To me I prefer something not accessible by 4x4 or other high clearance vehicles (mostly because i dont want to be able to hear any vehicles when im trying to get away from it all)

I dont mind doing a 30 mile 3-4day hike. And all of this is for research later on. I mostly go to Spruce knob, Dolly Sods, the AT, greenridge SF, and the cranberry wilderness, so I am looking for something closer in Maryland instead of always going to WV.

There is a 24 mile 'Backpacker Loop' trail through Savage SF. That sounds like it may be what you are looking for. Primitive campsites. Bring water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom