• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    That’s awesome! I love that you value your time with him. That’s the way parenting should be. You’d know a lot more than me in the daddy area as I’m only 4 1/2 years into this game but that being said maybe the cost benefit ain’t worth it for the shop owner.

My buddy owns a business and oddly enough people come in all the freaking time and try to barter with him for the time/product instead of just giving him cash. So let’s say his product is $150 and they trade him an item he doesn’t really need for $200, he then has to use his time to get rid of the item for $200.

I was expecting to pay close to 400.00 for a Marlin Model 60 Glenfield era 1976 .I am sure he was making money on the deal and i would have scanned and emailed all my information to him days before my arrival so he could get all the more detailed stuff out of the way and then do whatever on the day of pick up

I will be honest i don't care much about the money side , or if it makes sense . As far as his business making money i am confident he is doing well enough . I would have given him the FFL fees

I also own a business with my brothers and i have to price jobs , look at jobs and compete with other welding companies . I win some and lose some . I waste my time on many things to find the customer has 5.00 to spend . I do free or discounted work for military or folks i feel that are disadvantaged , poor , homeless . Money is not everything let me tell you .

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    One LGS in Maryland told me and others standing around that 80% lowers were illegal to build, back in 2013, but I feel that was an anomaly compared with most shops in the state. Also, I still remember MD shops refusing to release firearms after 7 days, arguably out of an abundance of caution. I don't blame them for protecting their hard won businesses, but I'll still move on to other shops that are willing to release.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    You know there is no gray area , i am able to buy and it is lawful to buy .

If they just don't want to sell to me , then why all the BS about lawful & unlawful sales and trying to convince me that Md. will not allow it .

If they don't like my first or last name then why not say that . All of it is ******** and you know it . Do you work at that store or you like infringements ?

It has nothing (as far as I know) to do with you. It is all about the out of state dealer not caring to know or willing to learn the laws. If he believes it is unlawful, for what ever reason, than he wont sell it to you fearing it may jeopardize his license. Hell, he may even think you are ATF. Look how many on here jump on a new poster insinuating they are MSP, ATF, MGA, LGBQxxxx....

That said, I agree with you, they should sell to us. I have run into this as well.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    One LGS in Maryland told me and others standing around that 80% lowers were illegal to build, back in 2013, but I feel that was an anomaly compared with most shops in the state. Also, I still remember MD shops refusing to release firearms after 7 days, arguably out of an abundance of caution. I don't blame them for protecting their hard won businesses, but I'll still move on to other shops who are willing to release.

That is the purpose of my thread , to vent and to say i am moving on and any gun store that don't honor the law i will be done with .

Let me be clear if this PA gun store wanted to give me this gun i would not accept it .

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    This is PA seller and me being a MD buyer . I would think they should or could have some safe information for walk in buyers from neighboring states . This store is roughly 2 1/2 hours away

I can see if i was buying a gun in Florida or out West .

2 1/2 hrs. is another country then Maryland , They hear how bad the gun laws and regulations are but probably not a lot of Maryland customers running 2 1/2 hrs. to shop in his store for him to stay up to speed , On the other side of the river in Virginia they know that they get a lot of Maryland customers so they are on it , So if you go to Roanoke Virginia you'll get the same as you did in Pennsylvania they don't want to get involved . It's the price you pay for living in the Kingdom of Maryland .

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    One LGS in Maryland told me and others standing around that 80% lowers were illegal to build, back in 2013, but I feel that was an anomaly compared with most shops in the state. Also, I still remember MD shops refusing to release firearms after 7 days, arguably out of an abundance of caution. I don't blame them for protecting their hard won businesses, but I'll still move on to other shops that are willing to release.

I remember being in Atlantic Guns back in 2013 and hearing the same thing but what they were saying that is was illegal for them to build , They had a FFL but not a manufacturers FFL so yes they couldn't , but you as a individual no problem .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    2 1/2 hrs. is another country then Maryland , They hear how bad the gun laws and regulations are but probably not a lot of Maryland customers running 2 1/2 hrs. to shop in his store for him to stay up to speed , On the other side of the river in Virginia they know that they get a lot of Maryland customers so they are on it , So if you go to Roanoke Virginia you'll get the same as you did in Pennsylvania they don't want to get involved . It's the price you pay for living in the Kingdom of Maryland .

Problem is i won't buy , I have guns . Just wanted more :D . I don't need that gun , i wanted it . If the Zombies come running don't worry about me i will handle a few here .
    I can't leave Maryland , i a month or two my son will be in a group home here in Maryland . Other then extended vacations the wife and I want to be near him . Sometimes life circumstances have different paths for us all .
    My Kingdom will be after i leave this world . :thumbsup:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    so if a place sees a black guy come in, the can "feel uncomfortable" because they think all blacks are hoodrats so they can make a sale to another, less ominous person? If that is racism or against the law if that person meets all criteria then for an enumerated right, should be the same. Like most businesses, personable down home traits are long in the past and they have "gone corporate dude". Schmoney....so they feel they can pick and choose due to the sellers' market.. eff them. Hence, why I give the big FU to Fox in Columbia or wherever they exist now.

Choosing to sell to in-state residents only is not the same as racial discrimination- that’s Title 7 of the 1964 Civil Rights Act where choosing on the basis of state of residency is not discriminatory.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Has anyone noticed that some gun stores are expanding already tight laws on Maryland residents ?

Back i believe in 2013 we had waiting periods of 30 days or more and guns stores had no legal reason to follow that crazy unlawful act . We found out good dealers did not play that game .

Now i try to bid on a rifle at GB and the dealer in PA says i would not be able to pick it up in person because of Md. laws . I can buy rifles in PA with proper paperwork .

Why do gun stores continue to make shit up . Why do they expand things and create Gun Store Laws ?? I say i don't really need anymore guns . I won't add to my collection . F them worthless stores IMHO and we need to out the worthless stores as well .

Sorry for the rant :mad54:

Also probably matters what rifle specifically- or is it their blanket policy to only transfer directly in-state?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Choosing to sell to in-state residents only is not the same as racial discrimination- that’s Title 7 of the 1964 Civil Rights Act where choosing on the basis of state of residency is not discriminatory.

You are right about that , but it should be a real problem to us gun owners .

Why not just have the state of PA disallow selling to anyone outside the state of PA .
    Or maybe Md. government tell Marylanders we are not allowed to buy out of state . Is that what we want . The gun stores are doing that very thing . And some here think its cool .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You are right about that , but it should be a real problem to us gun owners .

Why not just have the state of PA disallow selling to anyone outside the state of PA .
    Or maybe Md. government tell Marylanders we are not allowed to buy out of state . Is that what we want . The gun stores are doing that very thing . And some here think its cool .

It’s definitely not cool, it’s a mindless maze of complexity we walk sometimes in this pursuit. I’ve bought a bunch in PA before between shows and shops as well. And I have experienced the Out of State issue before at shows, I just take my money somewhere it’s appreciated at that point.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Sales spread over 10,000% new manufactures, every kid with a 3D printer would be selling a metal can with disposable printed baffles for 9.95,,
    Imagine the 40' sea containers coming from China :)

Nope, the current manufactures want no part of the suppressors becoming "unregulated". would you rather make 10 wigets a week and sell them for $400 or 1000 wigets a week and sell them for $25

So the question is whether I want to make $4k or $25k a week? That is easy to answer.

The problem is that each wiget cost $24 to make. So your cash flow is higher but your profits actually decrease. $1000 vs $3760. Low cost ups the competition as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It’s funny i actually have placed a monetary value on my time and do base a lot of decisions off on it

I've based most my life on this theorem. I know what an hour of my life is worth, monetarily speaking. If things don't add up, I take the smaller loss and move on.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    My son loves taking drives with me , i was going to make a day out of it with him with lunch .
    I don't care about the money side of it (within reason) i care about my time with him .
    That is the truth of it . We have drove to OC for lunch with stops for coffee and donuts . Life is about memories

Previous post

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Allowing sub-jurisdiction to be Less restrictive than State Law sounds good , but then you wake up . Nevah Evah happen , only making things More restrictive absent specific Preemption .

It sucks for us . But flip it around . If we were in Free America , we would be very hesitant to deal with Maryland . Particularly the non- binding frequently changing MSP White List and Black List for EBR- ish rifles .

Added - Shooters in other parts of the world where suppressors are otc for less than $100 US , shake their heads at what we pay .

The U.S. marketplace is built around the concept of " If you are going to go to the expense , hassle and wait to purchase one , buy once, cry once , get the absolute Most-ist Best-ist that money can buy ." So by manufacturing standards most are small scale boutiques .

If supressors suddenly became either unregulated , or no more regulated than non- scary rifles , we would quickly be flooded by mass produced clones of the Finish Reflex for $79 .

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    drives

I have explained that in a previous post about going for a drive with my son and getting out with him .

that is awesome. That is why our cars have high mileage. We would always take our girls on decent couple hour drives from Germantown through Westminster, or VA like Leesburg, or through Gettysburg and try to get lost to explore and find our way home. It was a great way to relax, be with family, talk about things, reflect, etc. Never regretted and never will. Aweseome memories I will take to my grave, my friend. Glad you do the drives, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom