• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Fortunately, I anticipated this 'unfortunate' event, so late last year I sold several of my long guns to some very nice mdshooters members.
    :thumbsup:

Selling guns.... ok, I know what "selling" is and I know what "guns" is, but I'm having trouble with "selling guns"...

Now we can be assured all the crime will magically disappear (yea, I know its not actually about crime).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Murder rate going down so fast, the dead are rising from their graves!

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Crazy women herself said Larry's legislation he wanted last year (to actually go after the actual trigger pullers...) was racist because only POC would be affected by it :rolleyes:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Crud just as I got into liquidation mode. Oh well I guess there is always United consignment, given their record of sales Id probably do better anyways even after fee.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Veto overriden in the House as well. 30 day clock starting tomorrow if things proceed ...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politi...0210211-qafvs4kwmfh3jibcuvl7k4axfe-story.html

Maryland will require background checks for all sales and transfers of rifles and shotguns, after lawmakers voted on Thursday to override Gov. Larry Hogan’s veto of the measure.

Previously all sales of handguns, and sales of long guns by licensed firearms dealers, were subject to background checks. Private sales and transfers of long guns were exempt from the checks, which gun control advocates considered to be a loophole.

Proponents of the new law say it will ensure that people who are prohibited from owning guns, such as those with protective orders against them or violent criminal histories, cannot get their hands on long guns by buying them in private transactions.

They’ll now need to go to a licensed dealer, who can charge up to $30 to complete an instant federal background check. The law will go into effect in 30 days.

Opponents argue that this creates a cumbersome requirement for otherwise law-abiding citizens who have a tradition of selling and trading guns among family and friends. They raised concerns that people would not know about the new law and unwittingly violate it — potentially leading to them losing their rights to own guns.

During 40 minutes of debate in the House of Delegates, Del. Vanessa Atterbeary, the bill’s sponsor, noted “common-sense, tailored exceptions” to the background check requirement, including transfers between close relatives, temporary loans and antique guns.

Atterbeary, a Howard County Democrat, argued that “law-abiding, responsible gun owners do not have any undue burdens” under the law.

Several Republicans countered that the background check requirement would, in fact, be a burden. Some invoked what they believe is a “war on rural Maryland.”

“Maryland rural residents are outnumbered and our traditions and ways of life are being criminalized,” said Del. Jeff Ghrist, an Eastern Shore Republican.

Others argued that it is rare for gun violence to be committed by someone with a long gun obtained through a private sale even though they were prohibited from owning a gun.

The House voted 88-46 to overturn Hogan’s vetoes of both the House and Senate version of the bill that were passed last year. That comes after a 31-16 vote in the Senate on Wednesday to overturn the veto on the Senate version. One final procedural vote — on the House version of the bill in the Senate — is scheduled for Friday.

The veto override votes were celebrated by Moms Demand Action, a gun violence prevention group that had pushed for the law for multiple years.

“Because of the General Assembly’s action, Marylanders across the state, from our rural areas to our suburbs and cities, will be safer and we will reduce gun violence,” said Danielle Veith, the Moms Demand Action chapter president for Maryland.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    how will they know if a future private sale happened 2 years ago or today?

example.
    How will they know that a sale that happens in june of 2021 did not take place in june of 2018 when it was legal?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    “Because of the General Assembly’s action, Marylanders across the state, from our rural areas to our suburbs and cities, will be safer and we will reduce gun violence,” said Danielle Veith, the Moms Demand Action chapter president for Maryland.

What will be the excuse when criminal violence with firearms does not abate?

Can we laugh in the "good" delegate's face (if she ever found her panties) and in the face of Danielle?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    how will they know if a future private sale happened 2 years ago or today?

example.
    How will they know that a sale that happens in june of 2021 did not take place in june of 2018 when it was legal?

They dont

It cannot be enforced

I will not comply and I hope many others follow me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom