• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    There were TWO other bills that were passed around 2002 - 2006...

Bill #1. Required all Gun Manufacturers to have BUILT IN Internal LOCKS in order to sell their products in Merry-Land...

For Example, you could not buy a GLOCK for several years because it didn't have a built in lock...

Smith & Wesson redesigned their guns to have a built in locks...

That was the case for years until a 3rd party invented the Omega CHAMBER LOCK...

That change (once approved) req'd all FFL's to sell you a chamber lock with all handguns...

I believe you still have to buy a chamber lock with each hand gun purchase even today...

Bill #2. Required Gun Manufacturers to supply Factory a Fired Brass Bullet Casing with the gun...

Manufactures that didn't provide that service couldn't sell guns in Merry-Land...

Collectively both of those Bills totally solved all the Homicides in Baltimore Murder-Land...

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    This is a topic that comes up from time to time, so I thought I would start a thread that lists the dates when Maryland firearms restrictions/infringements went into effect. I would like this to be a handy place to reference when something became law. I don't think that this needs a lot of nuanced description about what the particulars of the regulation are (just a one sentence summary of the general nature). Also, let's limit the side conversations and keep this thread clean... this is for reference only. Also, let's not add pending or probable legislation, only things that have actually passed. I think it may help people narrow down their search for additional details in the future.

I'll start off with what I know. I'm pretty sure about all of the dates with the exception of the original MD Assault Pistol Ban. If I'm wrong about anything, please feel free to correct.

There are a lot of large and small infringements that we can add to this list, so I'm reaching out to the MDS brain trust and legal beagles. If we have the official act names, that would be a good thing to include too.

I will pop in from time to time and update this initial first page list based on feedback in the thread, so that people looking things up don't need to scroll through multiple pages to get the comprehensive list.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this project.
    Dr.M.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

End of private long gun sales except between immediate family members. 3/13/2021

Rapid fire trigger device ban 10/1/2018

Red Flag / ERPO confiscations 10/1/2018

Mandatory registration of regulated arms 90 days of moving to MD 10/1/2013

10 round magazine limit 10/1/2013

HQL for handgun purchase 10/1/2013

Assault weapons /copy cat weapons ban (regulated rifles) 10/1/2013

5lb Limit on storage of smokeless powder / 5lb limit on black powder 10/1/2003

Mandated safety course for regulated firearms purchase 10/1/2000

Mandated trigger locks 10/1/2000

Ballistic records / shell casings retained for new purchases (rescinded 2015) 10/1/2000

Firearms seizures in domestic violence cases 10/1/1996

One regulated purchase per month 10/1/1996

End of private handgun sales 10/1/1996

Straw purchases banned 10/1/1996

Assault pistol ban 10/1/1996

20 round magazine limit 1994

Firearms secured from children under 16 1992

"Assault Rifles" added to handguns as "regulated firearms" 1989

Handgun Roster Board Established / Ban on "Saturday Night Specials" 1988

Wear and Carry Permit established 1972

Good and Substantial reason for carry permits 1972

Handguns prohibited from vehicles (excluding a few exceptions for transport) 1972

7-day wait for regulated firearms 1966

Pistol registration for new purchases 1966

Denial of handguns purchase for those who spent >30 consecutive days in a mental institution 1966

Annual State machine gun registration 1934

Good and Substantial reason to carry (open or concealed without a permit) 1886

Prohibition of free blacks from carrying arms following Nate Turner Slave Rebellion (later rescinded) 12/1831

Updated with the latest egregious infringement from the Crown. Goodbye to private transfers, hello to government databases.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Excellent post T. This should be stickied and updated as more onerous prohibitions appear. :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When did the law pass limiting us to 5lbs of powder?
    Sucks not being able to order 8lb jugs.

It is a Fire Code.

You can order them. You just can't buy them in the state. Technically.

Shops are supposed to keep a powder sales log for the Fire Marshal.

Only place I know of that is doing it is Bass Pro.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    It is a Fire Code.

You can order them. You just can't buy them in the state. Technically.

Shops are supposed to keep a powder sales log for the Fire Marshal.

Only place I know of that is doing it is Bass Pro.

It is not really a fire code. It is a MD law (Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 11-115) The international fire code currently exempts 1 lb of black, 20 lb smokeless and 10,000 primers.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Apparently I’ve been living under a rock lately, when can I get the cliff notes on the new transfer law effective 13-March? Thank you

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is not really a fire code. It is a MD law (Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 11-115) The international fire code currently exempts 1 lb of black, 20 lb smokeless and 10,000 primers.

OK, thanks.

It is enforced by the Fire Marshals.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Apparently I’ve been living under a rock lately, when can I get the cliff notes on the new transfer law effective 13-March? Thank you

Long guns can only be face to face transfered between relatives; other transfers require FFL to do a NICS check before the transfer. COMAR details haven't been announced that I know of.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I can no longer edit the first post in this thread, so will have to settle for periodic updates within the body. I really hope to never have to update this list again.... but I'm not holding my breath (two newest are still future dates, but they are set to become law).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ban on possession of unsterilized firearm/frames (exception for pre 10/22/68) 3/1/2023

Ban on purchase/transfer of unfinished firearm frames/kits 6/1/2022

End of private long gun sales (exception for close family members) 3/12/2021

Rapid fire trigger device ban 10/1/2018

Red Flag / ERPO confiscations 10/1/2018

Mandatory registration of regulated arms 90 days of moving to MD 10/1/2013

10 round magazine limit 10/1/2013

HQL for handgun purchase 10/1/2013

Assault weapons /copy cat weapons ban (regulated rifles) 10/1/2013

5lb Limit on storage of smokeless powder / 5lb limit on black powder 10/1/2003

Mandated safety course for regulated firearms purchase 10/1/2000

Mandated trigger locks 10/1/2000

Ballistic records / shell casings retained for new purchases (rescinded 2015) 10/1/2000

Firearms seizures in domestic violence cases 10/1/1996

One regulated purchase per month 10/1/1996

End of private handgun sales 10/1/1996

Straw purchases banned 10/1/1996

Assault pistol ban 10/1/1996

20 round magazine limit 1994

Firearms secured from children under 16 1992

"Assault Rifles" added to handguns as "regulated firearms" 1989

Handgun Roster Board Established / Ban on "Saturday Night Specials" 1988

Wear and Carry Permit established 1972

Good and Substantial reason for carry permits 1972

Handguns prohibited from vehicles (excluding a few exceptions for transport) 1972

7-day wait for regulated firearms 1966

Pistol registration for new purchases 1966

Denial of handguns purchase for those who spent >30 consecutive days in a mental institution 1966

Annual State machine gun registration 1934

Good and Substantial reason to carry (open or concealed without a permit) 1886

Prohibition of free blacks from carrying arms following Nate Turner Slave Rebellion (later rescinded) 12/1831

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom