best way to heat a home when power goes out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I thought about Kerosene but I have a 500gal propane tank for backup heat for the heat pump that could be connected to the propane heater if the power outage is longer than 30lb propane tanks can support. I'm calculating 1.3 lbs / hour when run continuously which isn't likely to be the case since it does have a thermostat and produces a lot of heat. Probably cycles about 25% on in the garage. Kerosene also requires rotation since it has a 2-5 year "shelf life." It's probably not an issue if you are using it regularly anyway though.

Ahhh...having a 500 gallon propane tank changes the situation. When we did a house renovation a few years ago, I had a single 100 gal tank installed to fuel 2 fireplaces and the range cooktop. I've considered adding a second one beside the first to provide more on-site storage if it were ever needed, but that idea's been residing on the 'round to it' list for a while. My other thought was to wait until the current HVAC air handler with electric resistance heat fails. Then, at that time, install a new gas furnace and upgrade the tank capacity.

JoeR

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Ahhh...having a 500 gallon propane tank changes the situation. When we did a house renovation a few years ago, I had a single 100 gal tank installed to fuel 2 fireplaces and the range cooktop. I've considered adding a second one beside the first to provide more on-site storage if it were ever needed, but that idea's been residing on the 'round to it' list for a while. My other thought was to wait until the current HVAC air handler with electric resistance heat fails. Then, at that time, install a new gas furnace and upgrade the tank capacity.

JoeR

Only issue is to get a reliable supplier. We’ve had Amerigas for 20 years. Have not had any problems getting filled until this month. Have been on the “delivery pending” list since 2 February. Last Friday they told me I was scheduled for the next day...no show. Called this morning and was told I was on for today...no show again. Called again and said I’m at approximately 25% full and was told “we’ll send another message escalating your delivery”. Nothing like the only game in town!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Or get tanks small enough to haul. Sucks though if you rely on it for a lot. I’ve been considering a couple of 100# tanks for my dual fuel generator. With a dolly I can move them around. PITA when full to load them in and out of a vehicle though. Perfectly doable, just PITA.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    As a last resort, local library or school and burn books to stay warm. Make sure you go for the commie media first.

Learned that from The Day After Tomorrow.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Or get tanks small enough to haul. Sucks though if you rely on it for a lot. I’ve been considering a couple of 100# tanks for my dual fuel generator. With a dolly I can move them around. PITA when full to load them in and out of a vehicle though. Perfectly doable, just PITA.

Use multiple containers.

One or two to transport and however many for storage.

You go to station with say two 55 gallon in the back. Fill.

Go home, transfer (pump or siphoning) from the full ones on the truck, the storage ones on dollies.

When ones on truck are empty, repeat until storage units are full.

Gilo

Jan 20, 2019
    shopping.jpg

This can be used indoors and you can get a hose for the larger tanks.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I've got several of these. They are normally $59 at Amazon Prime but are inflated probably due to the Texas power outages.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UHVVV2

BTW - if you don't know, the 20lb exchange tanks that you get (Rhino) are only filled to 15lbs. If you get the 30lb tanks, and get them filled, you get twice as much as the exchange 20lb tanks and it's MUCH cheaper.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've got several of these. They are normally $59 at Amazon Prime but are inflated probably due to the Texas power outages.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UHVVV2

BTW - if you don't know, the 20lb exchange tanks that you get (Rhino) are only filled to 15lbs. If you get the 30lb tanks, and get them filled, you get twice as much as the exchange 20lb tanks and it's MUCH cheaper.

Bj's sells 20# tanks for about $20 when they go on sale. And they'll fill them for $11. Much, much cheaper than the exchange bins outside stores.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Bj's sells 20# tanks for about $20 when they go on sale. And they'll fill them for $11. Much, much cheaper than the exchange bins outside stores.

When they are expired, it is a good way to get a recertified tank.

Though my last tank I got from Rhino has a leak.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I paid $70ish three years ago in the winter for that Mr. Buddy show. The hose to connect with external tanks was another $25ish.

And I've seen good prices on the larger tanks at Tractor Supply. BJs and Sams I have seen the 20# tanks for about $30. They seem GTG.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I paid $70ish three years ago in the winter for that Mr. Buddy show. The hose to connect with external tanks was another $25ish.

And I've seen good prices on the larger tanks at Tractor Supply. BJs and Sams I have seen the 20# tanks for about $30. They seem GTG.
    Thanks. See it online at Walmart for $74. Will order and then look for hose options. Usually have a spare tank or two in the garage for the grill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom