• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So Distributed Defense was happily carrying on their business in Texas, when the NJ AG sent them a cease & desist order from NJ. DD's business is 3d printed gun files, distributed for free or nominal cost, to anyone who wants one. NJ declared in the C&D that distributing such files could cause someone to violate a NJ law.

DD immediately ran to federal court in Texas, crying that the NJ AG was a meanie and violating their 1A and 2A rights and should be told to stick his C&D where the sun doesn't shine. They beat NJ AG to court, who filed in the 3rd Circuit days later.

NJ AG complains that he shouldn't face a court in gun-friendly 5th Circuit and should be able to force DD to litigate the C&D in the anti-gun 3rd Circuit.

The 5th Circuit said NJ AG intruded into Texas to harass a Texas entity, so he made his bed and he can lay in it.

NJ AG's cert petition, response due 24 February

SCOTUSBlog commentary

Fifth Circuit opinion

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is going to be a tough one for NJ. I bet if the AG read the 1971 version of The Anarchists Cookbook he’d crap his pants.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    This is going to be a tough one for NJ. I bet if the AG read the 1971 version of The Anarchists Cookbook he’d crap his pants.

I think so as well.
    The precedent seems to be much more about people trying to drag the government into places more convenient for the individual. Gerwal is pushing for government overreach about prospective third-party conduct and having a chilling effect on both First and Second Amendment conduct. In that situation, the government should be the one paying every single travel bill.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

I'm glad to see the NJ AG get slapped down in this case...huge overreach.

BTW, the Anarchist's Cookbook was our go-to manual when I was 12 or 13. We dreamed of doing some of the recipes, like making nitroglycerin. We would have tried if we had access to the chemical intermediates. And somehow I survived with all my fingers intact.

JoeR

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm glad to see the NJ AG get slapped down in this case...huge overreach.

BTW, the Anarchist's Cookbook was our go-to manual when I was 12 or 13. We dreamed of doing some of the recipes, like making nitroglycerin. We would have tried if we had access to the chemical intermediates. And somehow I survived with all my fingers intact.

JoeR

Same on the nitroglycerin. Still tempted. I have a copy somewhere around here.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

Do you remember the old Gilbert Chemistry sets? We used to keep buying out the inventory of sulphur and potassium nitrate (saltpeter) at our local hobby shop. And we all knew where to get charcoal. My father worked as a pipefitter, so there was always pipe and fittings around the workshop. Hmmmm....now what could a couple 12 or 13 year olds possibly do with that combination of stuff??? :innocent0

JoeR

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ahhhhh

Do you remember the old Gilbert Chemistry sets? We used to keep buying out the inventory of sulphur and potassium nitrate (saltpeter) at our local hobby shop. And we all knew where to get charcoal. My father worked as a pipefitter, so there was always pipe and fittings around the workshop. Hmmmm....now what could a couple 12 or 13 year olds possibly do with that combination of stuff??? :innocent0

JoeR

sigh of joy in remembrance. Brings a huge smile to my face. Thank you guys. :party29:

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This will be really sweet if SCOTUS does agree with the 5th circuit appeals court. The stupid son of a gun went on tv and said he would shut them down and screw all the people of the us who wanted the files. Total overreach and total abuse of authority as well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Had a science teaching 8th grade, former Army demo guy, make nitrocellulose in the classroom.

And demoed it (in BOTH senses of the word). :D

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Good thing the internet is forever. Even if he won the case the files are there forever. People should be paying attention though since this also effects 1A. If they get shutdown that says the government can basically shut anyone up saying stuff they dont like.

Yes I know this is a CAD file but my understanding is since its on the interwebs that its protected.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Yes I know this is a CAD file but my understanding is since its on the interwebs that its protected.

9th Circuit decided that source code is free speech in Bernstein vs US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernstein_v._United_States

But the concept hasn't been decided at SCOTUS yet. The Government backed down in that case rather than appeal to SCOTUS, and until now GOV hasn't tried to do any other prior restraint of dissemination of code domestically.

And the Bernstein decision was for source code, not executables such as G-code for CNC, so maybe there's a separate issue that might result in a different decision?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    No, not separate issue.

Just because a machine can execute the code, doesn't affect free speech.

The court ruled that the exchange of ideas may be better facilitated using source code than written prose, IIRC. Hence, protected speech.

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    9th Circuit decided that source code is free speech in Bernstein vs US: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernstein_v._United_States

But the concept hasn't been decided at SCOTUS yet. The Government backed down in that case rather than appeal to SCOTUS, and until now GOV hasn't tried to do any other prior restraint of dissemination of code domestically.

And the Bernstein decision was for source code, not executables such as G-code for CNC, so maybe there's a separate issue that might result in a different decision?

It makes no difference on the syntax of code. There are interpreted languages that look like plain text and also those that use specific non-human readable instructions. Both can be equivalent in terms of expressing speech.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

Gcode is really bad to distribute as it is customized for your individual printer, filament, preferences, good practices, etc.

The STEP or STL files are much more practical and significantly smaller.

Plus, those files can easily be someone's artistic expression in a digital form. Such as when Josh Shapiro, PA AG, didn't like 3d printed guns, and someone named the Joshie Washie design named after Shapiro, bearing his likeness, and commentary on him.

Attachments

• og.jpg
      og.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 401

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Gcode is really bad to distribute as it is customized for your individual printer, filament, preferences, good practices, etc.

The STEP or STL files are much more practical and significantly smaller.

Plus, those files can easily be someone's artistic expression in a digital form. Such as when Josh Shapiro, PA AG, didn't like 3d printed guns, and someone named the Joshie Washie design named after Shapiro, bearing his likeness, and commentary on him.

I don't disagree. I was just stating that the Bernstein decision hinged on source code having been found to be a means of expression, therefore protected under 1A. I would assume that other expressive file formats, like 3D model files, would probably have the same protection. Actual executable code might be protected, but I'm not aware of any case law on that specifically.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    A who's-who of left-leaning states chimes in to say they should be able to tell anyone to kiss the ring from afar and force citizens to travel to the sender's courts to defend their actions.

NEW YORK,CALIFORNIA,COLORADO,CONNECTICUT,DELAWARE,HAWAI‘I,ILLINOIS,MAINE,MARYLAND,MASSACHUSETTS,MICHIGAN,MINNESOTA,NEVADA,NEW MEXICO,OREGON,PENNSYLVANIA,RHODE ISLAND,VERMONT,VIRGINIA, AND WASHINGTON, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA amicus

They know that playing games with venues and jurisdiction is the only way they can avoid a devastating loss in court. The fact they feel the need to take this legal technicality approach rather than put out substantive arguments on the matter in question is a good sign for our side.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    A who's-who of left-leaning states chimes in to say they should be able to tell anyone to kiss the ring from afar and force citizens to travel to the sender's courts to defend their actions.

NEW YORK,CALIFORNIA,COLORADO,CONNECTICUT,DELAWARE,HAWAI‘I,ILLINOIS,MAINE,MARYLAND,MASSACHUSETTS,MICHIGAN,MINNESOTA,NEVADA,NEW MEXICO,OREGON,PENNSYLVANIA,RHODE ISLAND,VERMONT,VIRGINIA, AND WASHINGTON, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA amicus

This is madness. Sure, the usual suspects are in this list but Virginia? Nevada?

I think Maryland and Vermont need to remove the words "Freedom" from their state motto.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This is why every time I write a contract with a client, we end up playing ping pong over which state will be the venue for any civil court gladiator sports should things go sideways. Everybody always wants the home court advantage. I can see how that argument is a thing when it's actually negotiated (like in a sales contract), but can an outside entity really just wave their magic wand and insist that you appear wherever they demand, on a whim, to face their local laws when you're not established in that state, don't deliver any goods into that state, and are effectively just making information available? The state should be focused on ruining the lives of their own residents for prosecution of illegally reading and whatnot, if that's how they want their residents to live (and those residents vote for the self-inflicted wound of having such a government running their local lives). This whole topic is toxic at ever level.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    This is why every time I write a contract with a client, we end up playing ping pong over which state will be the venue for any civil court gladiator sports should things go sideways. Everybody always wants the home court advantage. I can see how that argument is a thing when it's actually negotiated (like in a sales contract), but can an outside entity really just wave their magic wand and insist that you appear wherever they demand, on a whim, to face their local laws when you're not established in that state, don't deliver any goods into that state, and are effectively just making information available? The state should be focused on ruining the lives of their own residents for prosecution of illegally reading and whatnot, if that's how they want their residents to live (and those residents vote for the self-inflicted wound of having such a government running their local lives). This whole topic is toxic at ever level.

I certainly agree the government should have the burden of traveling to the venue where the conduct occurred.

DD did business in TX, NJ alleges they could induce someone to commit crime in NJ and must thus cease their activities in Texas, by contacting them in Texas? NJ should go to Texas to explain how they're justified in chilling DD's First Amendment rights.

The government should always be the one at the disadvantage.

And the states whining about limited resources to pursue cases was a hoot, because defendants have so many resources to go after over zealous prosecutors in faraway courts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom