• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russ498

Feb 8, 2021
    Pasadena, MD 21122
    Does anyone make their own black powder? I was doing a bit of online research. I saw one formulation that was very complex that involved boiling the product and having hot alcohol and then drying the finished product. I saw another that basically just powdered the components into a very fine dust and then stirred them together and sifted them. Does the end product actually work? What is the "F" equivalency? How do you measure it?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Russ498 will henceforth be known in MDS legend as The Guy Who's Post Count Mysteriously Never Went Beyond 10.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I thought making it even for yourself w/o a license was forbidden?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    You can make it using charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter. You just have to hurry, before the Gorn gets a weapon. I saw it done once.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If you want black powder for shooting, just make an appointment at Back Creek Gun Shop in Winchester, VA. It’s as cheap as online before shipping. They have a lot of it because they usually supply the NSSA shoots when those are happening.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If you want black powder for shooting, just make an appointment at Back Creek Gun Shop in Winchester, VA. It’s as cheap as online before shipping. They have a lot of it because they usually supply the NSSA shoots when those are happening.

Clyde's Sport Shop in Halethorpe sells Goex real black powder. I just wish I could find somewhere in easy driving distance that sold Swiss or Old Eynesford because Goex doesn't come in the 1.5F that's optimal for Martini-Henry BP cartridge loads.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Clyde's Sport Shop in Halethorpe sells Goex real black powder. I just wish I could find somewhere in easy driving distance that sold Swiss or Old Eynesford because Goex doesn't come in the 1.5F that's optimal for Martini-Henry BP cartridge loads.

Define driving distance...As stated above

http://blackpowderva.com/

is a great place to get Swiss. They don't carry the Cavier Swiss but have plenty of the regular. They are cheaper than many online dealers I've seen and if you go the pick it up no HAZMAT fees. CAll first.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You can make it using charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter. You just have to hurry, before the Gorn gets a weapon. I saw it done once.

da ta da da da da da da dat daaaah daaaa, blweeeeee blweeeee

Gorn died that day, and later Bill and Ted died there too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom