• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The text of bill HB0175 is pretty specific, though:
    5–703.
    (A)BEFORE THE SALE OR TRANSFER OF AMMUNITION,AN AMMUNITION VENDOR SHALL:
    (1)CONFIRM IDENTIFICATION OF THE PURCHASER OR TRANSFEREE THROUGH THE PRESENTATION OF A DRIVER’S LICENSE OR OTHER GOVERNMENT–ISSUED IDENTIFICATION;AND
    (2)CONDUCT A BACKGROUND CHECK ON THE PURCHASER OR TRANSFEREE THROUGH THE NICS INDEX.​

"Ammunition Vendor" is defined here:
    5–701.
    (A)IN THIS SUBTITLE THE FOLLOWING WORDS HAVE THE MEANINGS INDICATED.
    (B)“AMMUNITION”HAS THE MEANING STATED IN §5–133.1 OF THIS TITLE.(C)“AMMUNITION VENDOR”MEANS A PERSON ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING AMMUNITION.​

It makes no mention of MSP using NICS, acting as an authorized agent. And even with the expanded list of other specific purposes a GOV entity can use NICS for in the Federal regulation, there's no mention of ammunition transfers as an allowed purpose.

I was explaining why there are more NICS checks than firearms sold because this thread is about firearm sales not the background check bill.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I was explaining why there are more NICS checks than firearms sold because this thread is about firearm sales not the background check bill.

If threads weren't get derailed off-topic, it wouldn't be MDS, now would it? :lol2:

And back on topic, don't guns being retrieved from consignment or pawn have to go through a NICS check? One or both of those could be driving significant increases in NICS checks.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The numbers are in for February 2021..........3,442,777 additional NICS checks.

Not as high as January but still a new all time record for the month of February and this brings the running total for 2021 to 7,760,581 NICS checks preformed.

If you want more information about NICS here is a link to the page of available reports and statistics:
    https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics#Reports- Statistics

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    And we thought Obama was the world's greatest gun salesman...piker compared to Joe and Kamala. :rolleyes:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If threads weren't get derailed off-topic, it wouldn't be MDS, now would it? :lol2:

And back on topic, don't guns being retrieved from consignment or pawn have to go through a NICS check? One or both of those could be driving significant increases in NICS checks.

Yes. And when you retrieve a gun from a gunsmith.

Also NICS may be used for carry permits IIRC.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Here is a fairly informative article from NPR.ORG. I went in looking for a lot of political anti gun rhetoric.

Summary is that gun sales in 2020 were way up. Shootings were up. However the article does not tie those two stats tightly together. I fact they actually leave the question open and do not conclude that a rise in sales correlated with a rise in violence using a firearm. Cam Edwards the former host of the NRA podcast was cited in the story without any negative qualifiers.

Judge for yourself.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/03/9718...-in-gun-crime-researchers-say-its-complicated

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    I was shocked Friday when I stopped by my favorite shop in my area. For over a year, I’ve been trying to find a Hellcat to handle. My shop always had the same answer, he said he randomly gets one or two, and they are gone. After a couple months I quit stopping, and then into the fall I gave up. I figured their shelves would be empty, but Friday I stopped in to see if they had a FN509c. I was very surprised they had a lot of stock, including 6 Hellcats. So I bough one. Kid said the checks are taking one to two hours to come back. One guy there was still waiting 1.5 hours. Kid put in my info, and 1 minute later he turns and said, you’re good to go. They limit ammo sales to 2 boxes, but he let me have 5 boxes fmj at a decent price, and threw in a box of Hornady CD and a DeSantis IWB slim tuck holster.

I’m glad I stopped in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Handled the FN509c and didn't like it, worse than the SIG P365 for me. The Hellcat w/13 RD mag feels better than 11 with extender.

Not all hands are created equal.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A New Record!

The March numbers are in and it is a new monthly record of 4,691,738 and a cumulative total for the first three months of 2021 of 12,452,319.

To put the numbers in perspective in 1999, the first full year for NICS, the month of March saw 753,083 checks and the total for the year, all twelve months, was only 9,138,123.

No wonder guns and ammo are scarce.

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    The March numbers are in and it is a new monthly record of 4,691,738 and a cumulative total for the first three months of 2021 of 12,452,319.

To put the numbers in perspective in 1999, the first full year for NICS, the month of March saw 753,083 checks and the total for the year, all twelve months, was only 9,138,123.

No wonder guns and ammo are scarce.

Wow, that's going up faster than Charm City's body count!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Wow, that's going up faster than Charm City's body count!

If you take the average of the first three months and project that for twelve months you get 49,809,276 so if everyone spends their stimulus checks for firearms we could possibly top 50 million NICS checks this year. That would make some liberal heads explode.

The best Obama, the best firearms salesman ever, could do was 3,314,594 NICS checks in December of 2015 and Bidet has topped that number every month since he was "elected". Like the thread title says "A Lot Of Guns being Bought".

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You know what those numbers don’t show? They don’t show the number of used guns purchased in unregulated sales. They also don’t show the number of builds done with 80% kits and parts.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Let's keep it that way
    We don't have to try to keep it that way. It's that way by default.

I would venture to guess that over the years there have been a lot of first-time gun owners who purchased a gun in a face-to-face sale in a state where secondary gun sales are unregulated, which IMO is how it should continue to be. This doesn't change the number of guns in the US, but it does change the number of gun owners.

There has to be a certain level of good faith when it comes to those things, and most states have something similar to Maryland's Judiciary Case Search - keeping guns out of the hands of prohibited people isn't that hard, and my Mom's generalized advice works well here: when in doubt, don't.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I would operate on the assumption that all of these new gun owners are people like us. I believe that lines are being drawn and people on both sides of our current issues are equipping themselves in preparation for a coming conflagration.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I would operate on the assumption that all of these new gun owners are people like us. I believe that lines are being drawn and people on both sides of our current issues are equipping themselves in preparation for a coming conflagration.

I don't like addressing large, complex issues with anecdotal evidence. But: anecdotal evidence suggests that while, indeed, us gun nuts continue to add to our collections, there are a LOT of noobs from across the spectrum, and a lot of women now buying and getting training of one flavor or another. Those big numbers definitely NOT all "us."

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I don't like addressing large, complex issues with anecdotal evidence. But: anecdotal evidence suggests that while, indeed, us gun nuts continue to add to our collections, there are a LOT of noobs from across the spectrum, and a lot of women now buying and getting training of one flavor or another. Those big numbers definitely NOT all "us."

I agree, but if the nation is hurting so bad financially because of COVID layoffs and cutbacks, where is the money coming from. Guns ain’t cheap, especially in today’s environment.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I agree, but if the nation is hurting so bad financially because of COVID layoffs and cutbacks, where is the money coming from. Guns ain’t cheap, especially in today’s environment.

Well, the nation "hurting so bad" is a Progressive lie. Remember, "crisis" is the rallying cry of the tyrant.

The "service sector" is the main sector that was hit hard. Hospitality, food service, janitorial services, etc. Hell, the grocery stores still operated at full tilt because people couldn't eat out anymore. The service sector is about 1/3 of the work force but not all of those people were laid off.

How many laid off Starbucks baristas and waitresses do you think used their stimulus check to buy a handgun for self protection?

No, the guns are being bought by people who are still employed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom