• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I have 3 of these plates and hammers, not sure what they are off of. If anyone could chime in it would be much appreciated.

I don’t think these are that old, because of the coil springs. I’m just guessing, that they came off of a TC or Italian made muzzleloader.
    I know for sure they didn’t come off a CW are musket

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    That’s a Zouave lock. Not sure if it’s original or not?
    Some of the early REPRODUCTION’s used the same markings as the originals. Remington threaten to sue them.after that the changed the markings, to avoid issues.

Thanks, I updated the original post.

Damn, you weren't kidding when you said 'parts'.

Yup and I have even more, a bag full of leaf springs, cams, bolts, etc.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Springfield 1835 complete

This lock is for a 69 caliber musket. The lock was originally a flintlock, and was converted to precussion. The hammer should be offset, it’s hard to see in the picture. That piece of brass was used to infill where the pan and touchhole were originally. The brass infill looks different on your lock than most I have seen. I’ll try to post pictures later of a few examples I have

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    Thanks, the 1838 that is already attached to a musket was also a flintlock conversion, it doesn't have a separate housing for the nipple. The nipple is drilled straight into the barrel and the hammer/nipple is closer to the center of the barrel than the ones made specifically for percs.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Thanks, the 1838 that is already attached to a musket was also a flintlock conversion, it doesn't have a separate housing for the nipple. The nipple is drilled straight into the barrel and the hammer/nipple is closer to the center of the barrel than the ones made specifically for percs.

Correct, that’s how the conversion were made.
    If you were ever inclined to shoot one of these converted muskets please make sure that the threads allow the nipple to thread completely.
    This is the week area, of these conversion muskets.
    Sometimes more material is needed to built up this area around the touch hole, so the nipple can get threaded completely. If not when shot the pressure could blow the nipple completely out of the threads.

I have a few 1816 Harper’s Ferry models that were converted. I enjoy shooting them often.

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    Correct, that’s how the conversion were made.
    If you were ever inclined to shoot one of these converted muskets please make sure that the threads allow the nipple to thread completely.
    This is the week area, of these conversion muskets.
    Sometimes more material is needed to built up this area around the touch hole, so the nipple can get threaded completely. If not when shot the pressure could blow the nipple completely out of the threads.

I have a few 1816 Harper’s Ferry models that were converted. I enjoy shooting them often.

I'd be iffy about firing any of them. If I did fire any of these I wouldn't put a round in there, only half charge of powder and some patches. The stocks on most of them have cracks, some were repaired. Also don't know how strong the metal is in the area of the nipple because I can see it dips down some on the 1838 and the nipple has 2 threads sticking out on the right side of the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom