• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Is there a "plain English" version??

The MGA does not speak "plain english". I just read through the bill in it's entirety and my head is spinning right now. There is more to it than this but for simplicity sake...

If you currently own a a certain type of untraceable firearm (not C&R) then you need to comply by getting an FFL to engrave a unique serial number, caliber along with your full name and address on the receiver. If you don't comply by January 1, 2022 then you are a criminal.

If you want to build an 80 percent AFTER the magic date then you have to basically do the same thing or else you are a criminal with extras.

I am being extremely vague here. I just read the bill and there are a lot of inconsistencies in the 18 pages. I am not pointing them out here. I will save that for testimony. It looks like sign up dates and hearing dates have not been assigned yet.

I know that Lopez is the author but whoever actually crafted this bill knows enough about firearm laws to be dangerous and they are far from knowledgeable. It's another attempt to legislate something that the person who crafted the bill knows nothing about. I will give them a "F" on their homework assignment. This bill is nothing to sneeze at. Push back is needed. There is enough language here to confuse the non-gun owning senator or representative to just vote YES because it is anti gun.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The MGA does not speak "plain english". I just read through the bill in it's entirety and my head is spinning right now. There is more to it than this but for simplicity sake...

If you currently own a a certain type of untraceable firearm (not C&R) then you need to comply by getting an FFL to engrave a unique serial number, caliber along with your full name and address on the receiver. If you don't comply by January 1, 2022 then you are a criminal.

So, it has the same compliance problem as the bill last year: a type 7 FFL (i.e. manufacturer) cannot legally issue a serial # for a firearm they did not produce themselves. To do so would be a violation of GCA '68, i.e. Federal law.

Of course, incompatibility with Federal law doesn't seem to be an issue for the MGA antis this year, ex. HB175 requiring a NICS check for ammo sales, which is also not an allowable use of NICS under Federal law.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    So, it has the same compliance problem as the bill last year: a type 7 FFL (i.e. manufacturer) cannot legally issue a serial # for a firearm they did not produce themselves. To do so would be a violation of GCA '68, i.e. Federal law.

Of course, incompatibility with Federal law doesn't seem to be an issue for the MGA antis this year, ex. HB175 requiring a NICS check for ammo sales, which is also not an allowable use of NICS under Federal law.

Yup.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Cite please

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville

That might work on a cannon,,, but how much room do they think is on an 80% pistol? I dont own any so I can't say how much room there is, but that would seem to need a lot of area?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Cite please

On the ammo transfer issue, see 28 CFR § 25.6:

§ 25.6 Accessing records in the system.

(a) FFLs may initiate a NICS background check only in connection with a proposed firearm transfer as required by the Brady Act. FFLs are strictly prohibited from initiating a NICS background check for any other purpose.

Whoever drafted all the bills that expect NICS and FFLs to be magic fairy dust for anything remotely firearms related, doesn't appear to have actually read the law and regulations establishing and defining NICS.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    That might work on a cannon,,, but how much room do they think is on an 80% pistol? I dont own any so I can't say how much room there is, but that would seem to need a lot of area?

Federal regs for markings state that the print size must be no smaller than 1/16", and engraving depth no less than 0.003". See 27 CFR § 478.

Those regs don't require full address, just city and state. If MD makes for stricter requirements for firearms such as full manufacturer address, large numbers of commercial firearms that are marked to ATF requirements would potentially become illegal in MD, if the bill becomes law. The bill, as currently worded, doesn't seem to cause this problem, but bill text might get modified in committee.

Last edited:

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    OK, got it,, so something I have no intention of following

If you want to build an 80 percent AFTER the magic date then you have to basically do the same thing or else you are a criminal with extras.

I am being extremely vague here. I just read the bill and there are a lot of inconsistencies in the 18 pages. I am not pointing them out here. I will save that for testimony. It looks like sign up dates and hearing dates have not been assigned yet.

I know that Lopez is the author but whoever actually crafted this bill knows enough about firearm laws to be dangerous and they are far from knowledgeable. It's another attempt to legislate something that the person who crafted the bill knows nothing about. I will give them a "F" on their homework assignment. This bill is nothing to sneeze at. Push back is needed. There is enough language here to confuse the non-gun owning senator or representative to just vote YES because it is anti gun.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I am being extremely vague here. I just read the bill and there are a lot of inconsistencies in the 18 pages. I am not pointing them out here. I will save that for testimony.

What do you expect will happen if they fix all of those inconsistencies identified in your testimony and say, "We fixed them. How's this?"

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Here's the biggest flaw I see with any bill coming out of Annapolis. If I own 100 pistols that I bought legally, and I built 1 "ghost" gun and get caught, how does that make any sense? I have the stupid HQL and passed 100 background checks, how the hell did this bill protect the public by punishing me???

I WILL NOT COMPLY.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Why don't we avoid going to Annapolis and voicing our opinion. Simply tell them to do what they want because.it doesn't affect us. And keep doing what we do. Let them get no resistance when making their law. When we participate with them they feel that we are going along and will accept the outcome because we are playing the game.

Why not stop playing the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom