• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I just got a call from my FFL that when they asked MSP if an AR-10 lower requires a 77r, the MSP responded with this (attached). This can't be right; anyone have input on fighting this?
    1b700e152a4e9d57e6222b27b2a1ef86.jpg

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Not really surprising. You could make a pistol from an AR-10 lower.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I just got a call from my FFL that when they asked MSP if an AR-10 lower requires a 77r, the MSP responded with this (attached). This can't be right; anyone have input on fighting this?
    1b700e152a4e9d57e6222b27b2a1ef86.jpg
    IANAL, but it seems to me that unless some legislation has been passed, they can't simply decide to change the rules.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? This is part of the reason I do 80% builds now.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What FFL? Could be that S/T Bradley doesn’t know what he’s talking about, it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve gotten something wrong.
    Could also be that they’re making stuff up, wouldn’t be the first time they’ve done that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    IANAL, but it seems to me that unless some legislation has been passed, they can't simply decide to change the rules.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? This is part of the reason I do 80% builds now.

MSP LD changes the rules frequently without legislation......

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland

Oh, but they can! The MSP frequently legislates by memo on a variety of issues in our lives. I have been subject to this outside of the firearms world.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Yes but more likely a rifle. I thought the whole argument for AR-15 lowers was that they could be built into banned weapons? AR-10s have been cash and carry for years I thought.

Pretty sure it's not in the law, it's an MSP interpretation.

And while personally I think a short barrel .308 is a bit nuts, some guys are building them.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    What FFL? Could be that S/T Bradley doesn’t know what he’s talking about, it wouldn’t be the first time they’ve gotten something wrong.
    Could also be that they’re making stuff up, wouldn’t be the first time they’ve done that either.

"Geared Up Firearm Training Courses and Accessories, Inc."

They weren't sure about AR-10s so they had to ask.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I'm still trying to figure out how the MSP can make the ATF change their rules on the < 29" SBR for MD Only? Yeah.

They didn’t make the ATF do anything. The 29” rule is a MD law, the ATF uses that in determining whether or not to approve your SBR since you need to follow federal and state law.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    Pretty sure it's not in the law, it's an MSP interpretation.

And while personally I think a short barrel .308 is a bit nuts, some guys are building them.
    True but like the other guy said, pistols have nothing to do with their silly 77r requirement on AR-15 lowers. It has to do with their capability of being built into a banned weapon.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019

Do you or anyone else have advice on where to go for an 80% DPMS compatible AR-10 lower? It looks like I might need one now that they're forcing me to register it.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I have formal correspondence from the State Licensing Division from about a year ago that AR-10's are not included in the 77r process.

ETA - email from 3 Jan. 2020

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.25.18 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 10.25.18 AM.jpg
      101.6 KB · Views: 774

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    I have formal correspondence from the State Licensing Division from about a year ago that AR-10's are not included in the 77r process.

ETA - email from 3 Jan. 2020
    Thank you. Forwarded it to my FFL. What would you do in my situation? Bite the bullet, fight the interpretation, or tell them to send the lower to my other, less green FFL (not sure they would let me do that)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom