• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I am a new knifeowner having just bought a Kershaw Cryo II last year.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kershaw-BlackWash-4-Position-Deep-Carry-Pocketclip/dp/B00I04OHQ6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=kershaw+cryo+2&qid=1613922058&sr=8-3

I have tried to do some research on this knife as far as legally carrying it in my pocket when I go to work, grocery, walk in the park, as my EDC. I also have seen various conflicting, cryptic writeups about it. Is it legal or not legal to carry this knife in my pocket when I do my daily chores? If not, do I need to get a knife with a shorter blade? I am in my 60s.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    No good in Baltimore City or Ocean City. No assisted openers allowed

I think the regs are concerned with spring-assisted openers.

The knife the OP linked just has a manual assist tab.

I doubt that carrying a 3.25" blade pocket knife is going to get a 60 yr old guy in trouble unless he threatens someone with it, realistically speaking.

Last edited:

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I've got 2 Kershaw knives, both x-outs - "seconds", and I've found them to be very good knives. Gotta' say, my Spyderco Delica 4 is lighter in the pocket.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010

https://smile.amazon.com/Kershaw-BlackWash-4-Position-Deep-Carry-Pocketclip/dp/B00I04OHQ6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=kershaw+cryo+2&qid=1613922058&sr=8-3

I have tried to do some research on this knife as far as legally carrying it in my pocket when I go to work, grocery, walk in the park, as my EDC. I also have seen various conflicting, cryptic writeups about it. Is it legal or not legal to carry this knife in my pocket when I do my daily chores? If not, do I need to get a knife with a shorter blade? I am in my 60s.

You're fine to carry pretty much anywhere apart from the usual places like court houses, airports, etc. Spring-loaded knives like the Cryo II are not legal in Baltimore City or Ocean City, but legal everywhere else in the state. There is no length limit on knives for carry purposes, never has been, and don't let anyone tell you different. I've spent more than decade researching the laws on knives here. Here's my full write-up with citations for everything: http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/maryland-knife-laws

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    You're fine to carry pretty much anywhere apart from the usual places like court houses, airports, etc. Spring-loaded knives like the Cryo II are not legal in Baltimore City or Ocean City, but legal everywhere else in the state. There is no length limit on knives for carry purposes, never has been, and don't let anyone tell you different. I've spent more than decade researching the laws on knives here. Here's my full write-up with citations for everything: http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/maryland-knife-laws

I looked at the ad in the OP's link; while I'm not familiar with the knife in question, it looked to me that the only "assistance" was from a thumb stud or flipper. I didn't see any mention of spring assist.

Am I mistaken?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

I think the regs are concerned with spring-assisted openers.

The knife the OP linked just has a manual assist tab.

I doubt that carrying a 3.25" blade pocket knife is going to get a 60 yr old guy in trouble unless he threatens someone with it, realistically speaking.

I looked at the ad in the OP's link; while I'm not familiar with the knife in question, it looked to me that the only "assistance" was from a thumb stud or flipper. I didn't see any mention of spring assist.

Am I mistaken?

in MD law, "switchblade"= "dangerous weapon" per MD CRIMINAL LAW Code Ann. § 4-101 and has state level restrictions. It is defined as a knife that deploys the blade with a switch or button, NOT a knife where it is deployed by a stud or flipper attached to the blade. IMO officers are usually not knife experts, so carrying a spring assist where banned might be trouble, might not,but as usualy best bet is to follow the law.

At the state level, a folding knife that lacks the switch or button of a switchblade/auto is a pen knife, doesn't matter if it has a spring or not to "assist" a thumb stud or flipper, doesn't matter what size it is. Some jurisdictions have additional laws for these non-auto "spring assist" knives, as Dontpanic pointed out, Ocean city and Baltimore city are 2 of these jurisdictions. Your Kershaw has "speed safe", this is a spring assist, but not a switchblade, so it falls in that category.

You can usually take out the spring, and it wouldn't be an assisted knife at that point, some models are fine without it, some are stiff and have a poor detent without it. Decent bearings or bushings and a well-tuned detent can allow a knife to fly out every bit as fast as a spring assist. In some cases the spring is just there to make a knife less expensive by avoiding the cost of a well tuned action with good parts and using the spring to overpower the friction.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co

Am I mistaken?

I'm kinda intimately familiar with that knife... it has a leaf spring that keeps the blade moving once you thumb it to get it started. It also keeps a pretty good edge and the only time I've had any trouble with it is when sand got in the mechanism and it became "crunchy" and refused to open smoothly. Once cleaned out it functioned again.

Once change I made almost immediately was to reverse the belt clip so that when it comes out of my pocket it's the correct orientation for my index finger to land on the back of the knife right by the opener nub.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    I have a similar benchmade axis assist. Flick of a thumb and that shyte is open. As said above, illegal in charm city and oc. I edc mine when i worked downtown. No issues never had to use it either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have a similar benchmade axis assist. Flick of a thumb and that shyte is open. As said above, illegal in charm city and oc. I edc mine when i worked downtown. No issues never had to use it either.

Not familiar with "axis assist" but I have several Benchmades with the axis lock. The Contego and 940/942 "reverse Tanto" blades deploy with a flick of the wrist; spring assist would be gilding the lily. They've been my EDC for years.

Boatbod: Thanks for the information.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Not familiar with "axis assist" but I have several Benchmades with the axis lock. The Contego and 940/942 "reverse Tanto" blades deploy with a flick of the wrist; spring assist would be gilding the lily. They've been my EDC for years.

Boatbod: Thanks for the information.

https://www.benchmade.com/barrage-family.html

I think i paid $110 at oaks many moons ago.

JB01

Nov 11, 2017
    I owned a Kershaw Link; however, I did not like the assisted opening.
    I favor the AXIS / ABLE / "sliding bar" lock with thumb stud combination.
    At present I like the Doug Ritter / Hogue RSK® Mk1-G2 knife over the similar size Benchmade 560 "super freak."
    Since Benchmade quality remains rather variable, I would suggest handling a Benchmade before buying. But considering Benchmade's politics, I would suggest another brand.
    I do not think Spyderco has demonstrated the politics of Benchmade.
    JB

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I bought two Spyderco Enduras, identical, black coated for $65. I thought they were $65/each, but looking closer they were "2fers" as advertised.

Next I thought they might have some flaws, but when I got them the only things wrong with them were the boxes. Both a bit dog-eared. I put one in my Ruger 10/22 break-apart as a bugout knife, and I began carrying the other. And datgum it, I've been wearing it day and night. That's right. I carry it even clipped to my underpants. I've used it constantly off and on and sharpen it occasionally. I even sleep with it. The thing's still tight and sharp. The finish is holding up just fine and I'm wondering if I'll even ever use the other one!

Knives these days -- good knives -- tend to last forever, and that's good for us. When Cold Steel (no relation) phased out its CTS-XHP knives (CTS didn't want to sell such small amounts of steel to a knife company), I bought three Recon-1 5-inch knives as well as some Hold-Out knives, all with XHP steel, I got good prices, and the XHP steel is fantabulous! And when I got these outstanding knives, y'know what I did? I put most in my safe and the rest in a box! They're great knives, but I've turned into a collector.

When I need to cut, I use my Spyderco, which is smaller and lighter and its with me all the time.

And steel is steel. It cuts all the time and I'm still waiting for it to wear out!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    https://www.benchmade.com/barrage-family.html

I think i paid $110 at oaks many moons ago.

I went ahead and got a Barrage Axis Assist, just because. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on, between the "safety" on the spine and the somewhat odd feeling of the axis mechanism.

Nice knife, but I think I still prefer the plain-Jane axis lock; deploys nice and fast, and I'm used to it. I'll carry the Barrage for a while, to give it a fair trial.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Who gives a shit. I carry one of those everywhere I go. If I'm feeling particularly vulnerable, I grab a stiletto too.

Attachments

• 20210409_190331.jpg
      20210409_190331.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads