• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    So...I sent out my package to purchase an M1 yesterday.

How bad are the processing delays that are COVID related? I provided them with my credit card number. When should I expect to be billed?

I figured I was looking at 8 weeks but now I think it might be 12 or longer.

Thoughts?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So...I sent out my package to purchase an M1 yesterday.

How bad are the processing delays that are COVID related? I provided them with my credit card number. When should I expect to be billed?

I figured I was looking at 8 weeks but now I think it might be 12 or longer.

Thoughts?

A buddy of mine is currently at 2 months and still waiting. He submitted on Nov 5th and already had a CMP account. Mine took about 2 months exactly from the time I got my "Don't Bother Us" email confirming my order and when it shipped (May 5th to July 7th) but my understanding is that orders have only ramped up since then.

Your CC will get billed when they fulfill the order and get ready to ship (usually 24-48 hours before your shipping notification max).

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Your CC will get billed when they fulfill the order and get ready to ship (usually 24-48 hours before your shipping notification max).

This is helpful to my financial planning. Thanks.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Current timelines detailing the steps are here

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=28081&page=1184

I wouldn’t worry about it. Eight to twelve weeks during a pandemic and panic is not bad at all. My first M1 during normal times in early 2012 was already over two months and another one during the 2013 panic was six months.

I want to know how the guys on that forum got their packages delivered so fast. I mailed mine from Huntingtown, MD on 28 December 2020, 2-Day Priority/Certified Mail and according to the tracking, it just got delivered to CMP yesterday (12 Jan 21)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I want to know how the guys on that forum got their packages delivered so fast. I mailed mine from Huntingtown, MD on 28 December 2020, 2-Day Priority/Certified Mail and according to the tracking, it just got delivered to CMP yesterday (12 Jan 21)

USPS has been absolutely messed up by the holiday rush. It seems some installations and areas are worse than others. Some of my stuff makes it halfway across the country in two days and some stuff takes three weeks just to go two states over. A check I was expecting finally showed up 1.5 months later, while the replacement showed up in just two weeks right in the middle of that time

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I sent in an M1 order the week before Thanksgiving, still waiting. They’re currently processing orders from mid-October. I’d expect the full 12 weeks they’ve recently estimated.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

I sent mine first-class right when they re-opened and got my DBU faster than most guys who sent priority 2-day for the tracking.

FWIW, if you really want things to get there fast, you have to use an actual guaranteed delivery service with the USPS. Guaranteed Overnight and Express are the only two options I recall off the top of my head that guarantee a delivery date

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I sent mine first-class right when they re-opened and got my DBU faster than most guys who sent priority 2-day for the tracking.

FWIW, if you really want things to get there fast, you have to use an actual guaranteed delivery service with the USPS. Guaranteed Overnight and Express are the only two options I recall off the top of my head that guarantee a delivery date

Agreed. The $7.50 I spent on 2-Day Priority Mail was just wasted :mad54:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    You guys seem to be aware of exactly when the CMP receives your package or at least begins processing it. How do you know this?

Also, for my affiliation to comply with CMP requirements, I joined the Garand Collector's Association. I ticked the box that allows them to release my membership info to the CMP. As yet, I have not received a package from the GCA and I don't know what my member number is. Does anyone have any experience with the GCA? What should I be looking for?

Thanks.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    You guys seem to be aware of exactly when the CMP receives your package or at least begins processing it. How do you know this?

Also, for my affiliation to comply with CMP requirements, I joined the Garand Collector's Association. I ticked the box that allows them to release my membership info to the CMP. As yet, I have not received a package from the GCA and I don't know what my member number is. Does anyone have any experience with the GCA? What should I be looking for?

Thanks.

I went the same route and joined the GCA. They will send the number to the CMP for you. I just put in the space provided that I had joined the GCA and was waiting on my membership number to arrive. If anything is missing from your application/order or in need of clarification, the CMP will contact you.

When your order is processed, they send you what is colloquially referred to as the DBU email. DBU meaning "Don't Bother Us!" It will come from a @thecmp.org email address and goes something like this:

We have received and verified your recent order. There is nothing that we will be able to tell you about the order until we have input all orders received ahead of yours into the system. Your order will now advance to our sales area and from there to our shipping area. Please note, that unless otherwise listed, our order to ship time is at least (XX-XX) days. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

The next paragraph will contain your customer number assigned to you by them and your temporary password. You can use your email and the temp password to access the store and see if there are any updates to your order.

If your order is backordered (as mine was) and there is a way to fulfill it faster (in my case it was them pulling Garands from the showroom racks that would have been more expensive) they will email you with that option as your application comes up. You can refuse and stick with the original choice if you don't want to do that (this situation is RARE).

Otherwise, you'll not hear anything until they get ready to ship it. You usually see the charge hit your card approximately 24 hours prior to the shipping notification. If you are going on vacation at all while waiting for your order or will be out of town for more than a day or two while waiting for your order, put a hold in for your address at Fed Ex. This will have them hold it for your at the local distro center and either re-deliver when the hold expires, or allow you to pick it up directly. My Garand was slated to come while I was on vacation this summer, so the hold meant I could pick it up the day I got back.

Patience is the best thing you can have when it comes to the CMP. They're absolutely slammed right now.

You can get an idea from the forums as to when to expect things like the DBU email and shipping based on posts from those who have applied on a similar time-frame. https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=28081&page=1184

Currently, it looks like it's between 1 month and 6 weeks from the time your mailed order arrives at the CMP and when you get the DBU email with another 4 weeks for fulfillment and shipping.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Great, that's all very helpful. Thanks for telling me about the DBU email because it could end up in my spam folder, so I'll look out for it.

I'm not especially impatient or in a big hurry, I just wanted to know what to expect and how much COVID has slowed them down. I intentionally picked a rifle that appeared to be in stock...but of course there's no way of knowing if their website is up to date on that. I didn't buy the thing because of all the political tension and now I'm in a rush to have it, it was just bad timing that my new interest coincided with everything going on.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Great, that's all very helpful. Thanks for telling me about the DBU email because it could end up in my spam folder, so I'll look out for it.

I'm not especially impatient or in a big hurry, I just wanted to know what to expect and how much COVID has slowed them down. I intentionally picked a rifle that appeared to be in stock...but of course there's no way of knowing if their website is up to date on that. I didn't buy the thing because of all the political tension and now I'm in a rush to have it, it was just bad timing that my new interest coincided with everything going on.

Covid itself slowed them down for the end of March and all of April as they were closed. They caught up some May-through July, but then got slammed again because of people worried about the presidential election outcomes and (unfortunately) a lot of Fudds looking to flip CMP rifles for a quick buck at gun shows that had people lining up around the block just to get in.

They actually stopped taking orders at one point, listing literally everything on the rifle side of the site as "out of stock" but people just kept sending in orders regardless, causing even longer delays.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I registered with the CMP forum. I never received an email where could activate my account. How long does that normally take? I thought it would be an automatically generated email.
    I did check my spam folder, no joy there either.

Tactikool

Jun 30, 2020
    Reading this is a bit of a relief that I’m not the only one in this boat. I mailed off my Garand order around the middle of October and have not received any sort of order confirmation. I’ve waited this long, so I guess waiting some more won’t hurt. The

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Reading this is a bit of a relief that I’m not the only one in this boat. I mailed off my Garand order around the middle of October and have not received any sort of order confirmation. I’ve waited this long, so I guess waiting some more won’t hurt. The

If you haven't even received the "Don't Bother Us" email, you might want to call them. I'm probably going to call at the end of the week just to confirm receipt of my order paperwork.

After that, I won't bother them.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    28 December 2020 - I mailed my purchase package for a a Special-Rack Grade. Sent 2-Day Priority/Certified Mail.

11 January 2021 - Purchase Package received in Anniston, AL at 2:08pm. Thanks USPS!!!

17 January 2021 - Noticed CMP website now listed Special-Racks as "SOLD OUT. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE ORDERS ALREADY RECEIVED"

17 January 2021 - Emailed CMP asking if my order made it in before the cut off.

18 January 2021 - Awaiting response from CMP before I decide what I'm going to do next. I don't want to place another order and end up with two. If I missed out on this, I may just suck it up, pay the money and buy a really nice one off CMP's auction.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 4.10.12 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 4.10.12 PM.jpg
      18.4 KB · Views: 324

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads