• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kennyd

The "HOOK" guy
    Jul 28, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    Yes, I've tried searching...

Background:
    We (daughter and I) went to Annapolis for many of the rallies and just about all of the MSI 2A Tuesdays, sat through some hearings, she even testified one night. I got so discouraged after all that and how everything played out when they passed the HQL requirements anyway I refused to get one-I already had a few SIG's and was content on not buying anymore for awhile.

Now fast forward to now, I am an eligible business owner and now that the reg's have been every-so-slightly relaxed my interest in getting a CCW has peaked and I'd like to get it before Hogan leaves office.

So, the question is: Do you need the HQL to get the CCW? If not, once the CCW is granted do you still need the HQL to purchase a new weapon?

Here was my daughter back on 3/15/2013 testifying, poor quality video but it was the best I could get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXbv4_D-In8&t=1s&ab_channel=KenDeckelman

Thanks to all for the info!

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    No, you don't need the hql first. Yes, you'll need for purchases, but you can request it for free after you get the w&c permit.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    Yes, I've tried searching...

So, the question is: Do you need the HQL to get the CCW? If not, once the CCW is granted do you still need the HQL to purchase a new weapon?

Thanks to all for the info!

Not sure if it has changed. I was given my HQL, free of charge because I had my CCW. You don't need an HQL to use handguns that you already owned before the HQL law. So if you already legally own a handgun, you are good. Once you have your permit, then simply apply online for your HQL. You shouldn't need to do anything. They will send you your new HQL automatically.

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    I did this earlier this year, similar situation. Refused to get HQL for years as I was happy with what I had.

Received CCW and then applied for HQL. Didn't need to get new prints etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    HQL Not required for W&C . Whole buncha W&C holders don't have HQL, simply because they carry the gun issued by their employers .

IF you wish an HQL and have a W&C , one will be given for free .

Or you could use a gun you already owned pre '13 , or any number of entirely suitable C&R eligible guns : S&W 10, 19, 36, etc , Colt Detective Spl, Cobra, Python, 1911, Commander, Browning Hi Power, PPK/s , CZ 82 , P64 , and hundreds of etceteras .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom