• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    Howdy,

Just curious if I'm missing something with the forum. Some of my other favorite forums are on this same version of vBulletin, and under where it says "Welcome, Username" in the top right corner there is a "Your Notifications" drop down, which shows number of post's quoted, unread private messages, friend requests, visitor messages, etc.

That feature is missing here, so I really have no way to tell if anyone replies to anything posted. Is there a way to enable that which I'm missing?

Appreciate any pointers.

Last edited:

kennyd

The "HOOK" guy
    Jul 28, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    Try the "User CP (control panel)" in the menu bar, and/or you can click on your own username.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
      Capture.jpg
      63.1 KB · Views: 349

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    Try the "User CP (control panel)" in the menu bar, and/or you can click on your own username.

That functionality I’m tracking, but there is no option in there to see who replied or quoted your posts. Maybe it will help if I post a screenshot from another forum I use running the same version of the forum software.

Attachments

• C9FB1345-296F-4EFD-A9F7-227BA0E13445.jpg
      C9FB1345-296F-4EFD-A9F7-227BA0E13445.jpg
      103.5 KB · Views: 302

Badger1

MDS Supporter
    Jun 21, 2017
    Looks like you need to respond to a few PM's, LOL.

LOL!

I didn't want to seem like I was complaining, but I have found myself wishing for a feature like this.

Ravitch, besides manually checking your posts, you can subscribe to threads you're interested in and get email notifications when people post in the thread.

CoqtEPM.png

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    Looks like you need to respond to a few PM's, LOL.

Hahaha, for real. I took a year off metal detecting and before that I was 3D printing coil ear supports for people for the cost of shipping and covering the plastic. Everyone of those people were just begging for prints after I closed out that thread and said I wasn’t doing it anymore.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    LOL!

I didn't want to seem like I was complaining, but I have found myself wishing for a feature like this.

Ravitch, besides manually checking your posts, you can subscribe to threads you're interested in and get email notifications when people post in the thread.

CoqtEPM.png

Since there both on the same forum architecture, I wonder if it can be implemented. Sometimes I’m done with a certain thread, but if someone replied to me specifically or quoted it’s nice to have that specific notification.

But not trying to be the new guy complaining about the curtains, I just found it curious that all the vbulletin based forums I visit have those notifications but this one, so thought I was missing something.

kennyd

The "HOOK" guy
    Jul 28, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    When you click thru User CP button it will show you a list of threads that you're subscribed to with unread replies. I'm not understanding what more is needed.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    When you click thru User CP button it will show you a list of threads that you're subscribed to with unread replies. I'm not understanding what more is needed.

Unread replies to a thread in general is a lot different than a direct reply to a post you’ve made. Sometimes you want to check out from a thread unless someone directly replies to you, and I personally find it beneficial to get those notifications.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Unread replies to a thread in general is a lot different than a direct reply to a post you’ve made. Sometimes you want to check out from a thread unless someone directly replies to you, and I personally find it beneficial to get those notifications.

How active were the other forums you use this feature on?

It was turned on here a while back, I think it was a few years ago after a software update. It was universally condemmed. There were so many notifications you literally could not use the forum. Every time you refreshed a page or clicked on a new topic there were popups that you had new notifications, because someone had quoted you or replied to a thread you had replied to. I searched for the angry complaint thread but couldn't find it. I think it was disabled within a day or so.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    How active were the other forums you use this feature on?

It was turned on here a while back, I think it was a few years ago after a software update. It was universally condemmed. There were so many notifications you literally could not use the forum. Every time you refreshed a page or clicked on a new topic there were popups that you had new notifications, because someone had quoted you or replied to a thread you had replied to. I searched for the angry complaint thread but couldn't find it. I think it was disabled within a day or so.

About as equally as active as this forum. You can tailor the notifications, but that is neither here nor there, as your reply provided the answer I was looking for, so thanks for that. I wasn't trying to change the place, more wondering if I was missing a way to enable that functionality. Now that I know it is universally disabled, case closed.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    Guess you'll just have to be more engaged with the community as a whole... :shrug:

While I recognize the snark, I'll take the bait. Engaging with the community and appreciating a way to track direct replies/quotes to posts within threads are not mutually exclusive. To the contrary, it actually increases engagement the more active you get across multiple threads.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    First World Problems. :D

You can do a search for posts (advanced search, posts, not threads) using your user name, and if the quote you, or mention you, you will see all those posts.

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    First World Problems. :D

You can do a search for posts (advanced search, posts, not threads) using your user name, and if the quote you, or mention you, you will see all those posts.

I'll take first world problems over third world problems any day of the week, I like being able to wipe my arse with toilet paper vice my hand :party29:

I hadn't thought about skinning the cat that way, so appreciate the tip.

kennyd

The "HOOK" guy
    Jul 28, 2012
    Westminster, MD

I want to read ALL the replies to a thread I'm interested in, not just replies directed at me via quoting.

Can we talk guns now? :lol:

Ravitch

Feb 28, 2021
    Cape St. Claire
    I want to read ALL the replies to a thread I'm interested in, not just replies directed at me via quoting.

Can we talk guns now? :lol:

That's great, aren't you glad that variety is the spice of life?

If you want to talk guns, what are you doing in the comments and suggestions sub-forum? I'm talking guns in the other sub-forums, maybe I'll see you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom