• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    How would a post 1970 clone of a FN/Browning Hi Power be classified? The Hi Power was first released in 1935, and carried 13+1 upon release.
    Clarifier- It is period correct to 1935, but was manufactured post 1970.

If your pistol is a clone of the 1935 version but just made post 1970 then you would be considered “period correct” and can load to full capacity.

The post 1970 requirement is really just meant to keep the more modern wonder nine type guns from taking over and having a huge advantage over the guys shooting revolvers and ww2 era pistols that mostly have 7-8 or so round mags

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I think much depends on the course of fire. The Carbine will be challenged at 200 yards, but should shine up close. And I have a bunch of Carbine ammo...

I think an M1 carbine will do very well on the courses we are planning, I know mine with the Korean surplus ammo will easily hit the size of targets we’ll be using on the 200 yard stage at that distance.

I’ve been saying for a while that the “gamer” setup will be an m1 carbine and a browning high power lol

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    How would a post 1970 clone of a FN/Browning Hi Power be classified? The Hi Power was first released in 1935, and carried 13+1 upon release.
    If this goes well, I actually have a ruleset written for a 50-70s cold war match...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

If your pistol is a clone of the 1935 version but just made post 1970 then you would be considered “period correct” and can load to full capacity.

The post 1970 requirement is really just meant to keep the more modern wonder nine type guns from taking over and having a huge advantage over the guys shooting revolvers and ww2 era pistols that mostly have 7-8 or so round mags

Thanks for the info. The P-35/Hi Power was the original "Wonder Nine".
    I'm not trying to become a rule maker, but to be true to spirit, I will only load to the original 1935 specs of 13+1 capacity. (I own multiple, flush fitting, 15rd mags that are not period correct)

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    One more question and personal background info...
    How much "action moving" will be involved? I am healing from a hip replacement. If the match involves three gun type mobility, I will need to pass on this match, but am very interested in a future match of this type.

There will be movement, however we have increased the par time by 60 seconds for a full 180 seconds per stage instead of the normal 120 as well as the number of shots to finish the stage has been greatly reduced from our normal matches.

That said, for the first match of this type at AGC, we are trying to balance the amount of intensity so that everyone can have a good time. Pending your mobility issues, you might be okay?

We are thinking about a practice event of some sort a week or two before the match. You can always sign up, come out that night and see how it goes and withdraw if needed. If this takes off like we hope, we would like to make this a re-occurring event at some periodicity.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    If this goes well, I actually have a ruleset written for a 50-70s cold war match...

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

If you have something, send it out to us. We are talking about some sort of "Red October" that might lend well to your ideas.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    One more question and personal background info...
    How much "action moving" will be involved? I am healing from a hip replacement. If the match involves three gun type mobility, I will need to pass on this match, but am very interested in a future match of this type.

Great question, this match will be in the style of our normal 3 gun matches so there will be moving on the bays at least back and forth between positions and likely forward down field, as well as some movement up the 200 yard range.

If this one turns out to be popular (which so far it seems like it will be) and goes well we definitely would like to do more of these in the future

Edit: JJones beat me to it but exactly what he said

There will be movement, however we have increased the par time by 60 seconds for a full 180 seconds per stage instead of the normal 120 as well as the number of shots to finish the stage has been greatly reduced from our normal matches.

That said, for the first match of this type at AGC, we are trying to balance the amount of intensity so that everyone can have a good time. Pending your mobility issues, you might be okay?

We are thinking about a practice event of some sort a week or two before the match. You can always sign up, come out that night and see how it goes and withdraw if needed. If this takes off like we hope, we would like to make this a re-occurring event at some periodicity.

Great question, this match will be in the style of our normal 3 gun matches so there will be moving on the bays at least back and forth between positions and likely forward down field, as well as some movement up the 200 yard range.

If this one turns out to be popular (which so far it seems like it will be) and goes well we definitely would like to do more of these in the future

Edit: JJones beat me to it but exactly what he said

I am going to pass on the inaugural match. The side to side movement will not be a good idea with my coordination and healing bones. This sounds like a lot of fun and I will be entering a future match.
    Thank you both for the quick follow-ups.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am going to pass on the inaugural match. The side to side movement will not be a good idea with my coordination and healing bones. This sounds like a lot of fun and I will be entering a future match.
    Thank you both for the quick follow-ups.

I am going to have to pass too. My back will not be healed enough for that much movement.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Just found this thread today so sorry if I ask something already covered.

Do you shoot steel targets? Paper? Both?

To shoot do you have to be there at 8 and expect to be there until 4 or later?

Did you open registration already?

Really does sound fun. Even if it's already closed I might just come and watch .

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Just found this thread today so sorry if I ask something already covered.

Do you shoot steel targets? Paper? Both?

To shoot do you have to be there at 8 and expect to be there until 4 or later?

Did you open registration already?

Really does sound fun. Even if it's already closed I might just come and watch .

We shoot both paper and steel, but mostly steel.

It would be good to get there around 8 if you can to check in but you MUST be present at the safety brief which starts around 8:30 to participate. These types of matches usually wrap up around 1 pm, and then we just ask that if you can stay to help clean up that you do, it really helps us out and doesn't take very long.

Registration will be on Practiscore and will open next week, I'll make sure I post a link here as soon as it opens.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Four stages similar to our 3 gun matches, approximately 10-15 rounds for pistol and rifle per stage, depending on the layout. Figure conservatively 50 rifle rounds and 50 pistol rounds if you don’t miss for the entire match. Par times will be 180 seconds per stage.

Stages will involve some movement between barriers/shooting positions, but nothing extreme

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom