• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Looks good, just ditch that airsoft optic and get something good.

I'm no stranger to good optics, centerfire builds usually get an EoTech or Aimpoint, but it's rimfire, not betting my life on it. I was going to go with a Romeo5(favorite budget optic), but had this laying around, so stuck it on. For $40 it has run just fine, and I kinda like a small QD reflex with this. I'm not kind to it, and figure when it breaks or if I just feel like an upgrade, will probably swap it out for something better, but so far it's been great for a cheap POS.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Damn

Check this out from PortCity Gunworks

188833037_302602334687727_1731390913544920705_n.jpg

188413292_302602154687745_549243653573401873_n.jpg

Wow beautiful. How much did that work cost?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What are your top 3-5 lpvo ? I know you have lots of experience with those.
    1. S&B 1-8
    2. Nightforce ATACR 1-8
    3. Vortex Razor Gen 3
    4. March 1-10 DFP
    5. Vortex Razor Gen2

How about top 3-5 red dots ?
    1. Aimpoint CompM5b
    2. Aimpoint T2
    3. Sig Romeo4T
    4. Razor UH1 Gen2 (*technically holographic*)
    5. Post-2017 Eotech EXPS3 (*technically holographic*)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    What are your top 3-5 lpvo ? I know you have lots of experience with those.

How about top 3-5 red dots ?

I have a few favorites, depending on what i'm building, mainly due to price point or specific needs. This is from another thread, but same idea. Nothing really fancy and have a couple dealers around here that sell Vortex under MAP pricing.

picking an optic is like picking a rifle in the first place, budget, range, use, weight etc there is a lot to consider. Generally an unmagnified red dot/HWS is good under 200yds and best within 50. A LPVO(1-? scope) is good under a few hundred yards and great from 25-to somewhere around 50yds X top magnification. If you built/bought a precision 20" you might not be happy with an EoTech, if you bought a small SBR/braced pistols a 1-6LPVO might get in the way. I don't run Irons on anything anymore, outside of flip ups I might temporarily stick on a rifle I'm headed to a carbine class with.

For a close range budget build, the Sig Romeo 5s can't be beat for < $150, small, light, rugged, but a small viewing area.

For close range defensive build, Aimpoint Pro with MI QD mount, rugged, proven, leave it on for years, larger viewing area, expensive and only a single dot. I have astigmatism too, and the Aimpoint is noticeably clearer and cleaner than most any other red dot.

Close range all-around build or competition, EoTech, I love the XPS2, huge viewing area, great reticle, rugged, easy to use, but short battery life, can't leave it on like the Aimpoint. The glass is as clean and clear as it gets, but the reticle can look grainy.

budget LPVO, fixed mount and Vortex Strike Eagle, it's 1-6, usably clean and clear, great for the money and backed by an excellent warranty and service. Anything less looks looks quite a bit worse, and the next step up is near double the price. Primary Arms scopes are nice too, just prefer the Vortex.

My preferred LPVO, Vortex PST2 1-6 in a Larue CAN mount. The best for the money, very clean clear and large image, huge step up from the Strike eagle, the clarity helps make hits further than a 6X magnification would seem able to. The mount is bulletproof, well made, comes off and on easily without moving zero. Only downside is the 2lb weight.

There are the main ones I go with. Could also add The Vortex Razor series, probably the best full featured optic for the money if you don't want to compromise on anything, and are budgeting in the $1K-$2K price range. Holosun also makes a great sight, they really make some of the sig and PA sights. The Holosun 510 is great, a rugged "poor man's EoTech", but LED/reflex not actually a HWS. The Trijicon Credo 1-8 is also a great LPVO priced between the PST2 and 1-10 Razor, it has a 1-8X28(34mm tube), it's really bright, clear and rugged. I generally don't go below a 1-6 strike eagle for a LPVO, or Romeo 5 for a dot, but for budget rimfire fun guns, where the alternative is irons, I have had good luck with this particular QD NCStar(sold under a dozen other chinese makes), have a couple and they work well enough. For a rimfire LPVO, the Vortex Crossfire2 1-4 in a combo mount or PA mount is about at inexpensive as you can get, image looks like crap(although about the best available in a $150 scope), but it's useable and has a good warranty.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    NCStar

I have a few favorites, depending on what i'm building, mainly due to price point or specific needs. This is from another thread, but same idea. Nothing really fancy and have a couple dealers around here that sell Vortex under MAP pricing.

There are the main ones I go with. Could also add The Vortex Razor series, probably the best full featured optic for the money if you don't want to compromise on anything, and are budgeting in the $1K-$2K price range. Holosun also makes a great sight, they really make some of the sig and PA sights. The Holosun 510 is great, a rugged "poor man's EoTech", but LED/reflex not actually a HWS. The Trijicon Credo 1-8 is also a great LPVO priced between the PST2 and 1-10 Razor, it has a 1-8X28(34mm tube), it's really bright, clear and rugged. I generally don't go below a 1-6 strike eagle for a LPVO, or Romeo 5 for a dot, but for budget rimfire fun guns, where the alternative is irons, I have had good luck with this particular QD NCStar(sold under a dozen other chinese makes), have a couple and they work well enough. For a rimfire LPVO, the Vortex Crossfire2 1-4 in a combo mount or PA mount is about at inexpensive as you can get, image looks like crap, but it's useable and has a good warranty.

I have an NCStar on my M&P 15/22. works great and since recoil is low, keep zero

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have an NCStar on my M&P 15/22. works great and since recoil is low, keep zero

Same NC star sight I have is sold by Browning, Truglo, bushnell UTG, Leapers, and probably a dozen others. Kinda sucks that everyone got away from the full size open reflex format, it's great for close range and fast shooting with great visibility. There really isn't much between the $50 chinese sight sold under a dozen names and a $300 C-more in this design. Most others are either a tiny micro dot on a really tall stand to be "AR height", in a bulky tube with small viewing area, or much larger like the Holosun 510.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Built last year, but finally got a couple parts I needed to finish it. Wanted a compact really modular AR22. Has ended up becoming my favorite 22 suppressor host for the Oculus. Folds up small enough to fit in my pistol range bag, so I can take it with me everywhere. Can use the blast shield or short Oculus config with 4" guard, or back of 2 screws, swap to the 7" handguard and run it in long config.

View attachment 314215

View attachment 314216

View attachment 314217

What kind of kit did you use for the bolt and mag?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    There was too much crap on this rifle so I swapped out my fixed irons and heavy optics for an Aimpoint T2 and Reptilia 1.93 mount. Really liking how this feels now.

Rifle is a DD M4V7p that has been SBR’d.

bUt WhErE aRe YoUr BuIs?

Attachments

• 1B2C842A-CAC5-47ED-8896-9EE8C3E8DF07.jpg
      1B2C842A-CAC5-47ED-8896-9EE8C3E8DF07.jpg
      76.6 KB · Views: 395

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    There was too much crap on this rifle so I swapped out my fixed irons and heavy optics for an Aimpoint T2 and Reptilia 1.93 mount. Really liking how this feels now.

bUt WhErE aRe YoUr BuIs?

Lookin’ good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia

bUt WhErE aRe YoUr BuIs?

My kind of set up. Love it :party29:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    https://www.righttobear.com/RTB-4-5-inch-22LR-barrel-Bolt-Mags-p/rtb-22ba487-rtb-22afc25-3m25.htm

This. Add a $50 slick side upper, $50 mlok rail and $20 knock off Raptor Charging handle, and you have a complete dedicated 22 upper built for $370 with 3 mags. I got the M4 kit and converted a basic DPMS AR I built 20 years ago to a fun useable 22 also.

Excellent. I'll have to send one to my son in FL. Of course, I would NOT be doing this to side step Maryland mag capacity laws.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

bUt WhErE aRe YoUr BuIs?

Beauty!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Excellent. I'll have to send one to my son in FL. Of course, I would NOT be doing this to side step Maryland mag capacity laws.

The barrel doesn't have lugs in the extension so you can't use a rod or bev block to build it, but no gas port to align, and doesn't need to be torqued all that tight. I have both CMMG and RTB branded parts, both have identical dimensions, can use their parts interchangeably. only thing to be aware of is the edge of the chamber can have a slight edge that can catch the nose of a bullet as it slides up the ramp, if you very lightly chamfer and polish that edge it will solve jamming. I do it on my builds before I even install the barrel and they run 100%. The other thing that can get annoying is brass can get stuck in the charging handle channel above the bolt face. Being it's stuck between the bolt and charging handle you can't clear it by pulling the handle, you need to push the bolt back by hand, and it falls out between the bolt and front lug of the handle. fill the channel about 1/2 way with epoxy or a few companies make a filler piece to prevent that jam.

Couple of my AR22s with 10/22s, all are suppressor hosts.

20210528_090213.jpg

The red circle shows where the edge is that catches the bullet. The slight gap from the top of the feed ramp to the chamber can catch the bullet on the edge around the chamber. Seems this is a problem on some early CMMG barrels, and may have been corrected. It was really sharp and jammed up my early M4-22 build, much better on my recent 4.5" build, but still smoothed it anyway being a PITA to do after the barrel is installed.
    I use a fine ball grinding bit by hand to just break the edge around the chamber, then polish it with a felt bit and compound. It doesn't take much to get perfect feeding, don't want to take much metal off, just break the edge.

20210528_092943.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom