• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Hey guys

In a few weeks in going to be messing around on the bench to load for a m48 yugo 8mm mauser I just picked up. That being said I will be looking for FL dies, projectiles, and brass. Anyone got stuff to trade or sell?
    So far it looks like I may have to prep 50 or so of my 30-06 cases amd cut and resize since I have it all minus dies.

Anyone have experience loading for this old warhorse? Just looking for plinking stuff at the moment, maybe projectiles to deer hunt with later on. Pet loads, general info, its all welcome so I can get some direction.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Under General Info

Most of the "new" or "current" surplus ammo is either second rate, of dubious origin or improperly stored. Hangfires, low pressure and inconsistent performance. So most people are avoiding it. I would think a reloader could make use of virgin brass and projectiles no one wants and just pop new primers and powder to get some use out of the base components.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    I have played around a lot with the 8x57. At one time I had 28 8mm mausers.
    The best load I ever used was 175 Sierra Pro Hunter with 48.0g IMR 4064.
    200g Nosler CC with 24.0g IMR SR 4759 was also very accurate. Shame they discontinued that powder.

NW3iXzc.jpg

Then about 12 years ago I started shooting CMP matches. I bought a 1903-A3.
    That's when I realized the best shooting 8mm Mauser I had could not compete with an average 1903 Springfield.
    I sold all those Mausers.

Last edited:

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    The Yugo ammo made in the 1950s have many duds or hand fires. This was linked for machine guns. The primers appear to be the dome type and the primers are too hard to ignite in a K98.
    What I have left (and that's a lot) I pull the bullets and place the powder and bullet in a boxer primed case.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I purchased PPU ammo from shows back when prices were reasonable. Reloaded them. Used H4895 powder 196gr bullet and POI was pretty close to the POA with existing sites.
    picked up Iranian surplus and although putting in a heavier spring allowed it to fire 95% of the time, did still have a few delay fires but no more duds.
    I ended up pulling all 600 remaining rounds and then reloaded the components inspecting the powder on each pull. Reloaded into PPU cases and CCI large rifle primers its pretty decent at least for banging steel.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    200g Nosler CC with 24.0g IMR SR 4759 was also very accurate. Shame they discontinued that powder.

NW3iXzc.jpg

That's when I realized the best shooting 8mm Mauser I had could not compete with an average 1903 Springfield.

Very nice collection!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

NW3iXzc.jpg

:shocked: Awesome collection!!!!!!!

I now only have two K98k rifles (byf 43 and bnz 41) and one '03 Springfield (built in '21).

The K98k kicks like a stubborn, pissed off mule, compared to the '03, IMNSHO.
    (That's comparing Yugo '70s ammo to LC '69 M2 Ball.)

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey guys

In a few weeks in going to be messing around on the bench to load for a m48 yugo 8mm mauser I just picked up. That being said I will be looking for FL dies, projectiles, and brass. Anyone got stuff to trade or sell?
    So far it looks like I may have to prep 50 or so of my 30-06 cases amd cut and resize since I have it all minus dies.

Anyone have experience loading for this old warhorse? Just looking for plinking stuff at the moment, maybe projectiles to deer hunt with later on. Pet loads, general info, its all welcome so I can get some direction.

PPU 196gr projectile seated to cannelure and a crimp just to close the brass over a near book max (Horny 10th) of varget or IMR 4064. Work up to this, but it's about 1.5 MOA in my Yugo M48BO. As others have stated, buying surplus ammo in today's market is a fools errand. Crappy ammo that's way over priced. Should be sold as scrap.

Edit: As others have pointed out, the best mauser in my opinion is the 03 springfield. Especially considering the near infinite type of projectiles in .308.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Everyone fear not, a Smith corona 1903 and a sporterized 1903a3 are in the inventory. I just looks like im going to overpay for some dog shit 8mm surplus just to load for it. I just want a plinking load for now. Now to find components and tools for 8mm.

Last edited:

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I shoot 38.0 grains H4895 and 200 grain Speer soft point. Shoots point of aim for me and not too punishing.

Try Trail Boss powder. No recoil at all but hits 20 inches low at 100 yards.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I have some old Greek ammo and some other stuff that should be pulled down for components, the projectiles are definitely good though. If you’re interested let me know. I loaded some Sierra 150 grain bullets for my Gew98 they were pleasant to shoot compared to 200 grain ppu

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Let me look. I think I’ve got somewhere between 40 and 80 pieces of PPU brass you can have.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    A pleasant load is 44 grains of IMR 4064, any 4895, or VV N135 under 150 grain bullets.
    The K43 shoots PRVI 175 grain HPBT at 2650 fps right on the sights out to 300. I mimic the 178 grain iron core the Germans used after '42 because of lead shortages. The Germans' lead shortages, not mine.
    I pretty much stick to the light 150 grain loads except for in my 1950's FN Commercial hunting rifle where I push it near max.
    I never tried to to mimic the 198 grain military rounds, so can't help if you're trying to go there.

Just FYI the best by far commercial ammunition in 8x57 and 8x57R is Sellier and Bellot. It is loaded to full European pressure specs. For plinking you cant beat PPU. I load and shoot a lot of 8x57 and it is one of my three most favorite rounds to shoot. I still believe it is one of the best developed and best rounded cartridges in the world. IMHO it is a much better round than the 30-06 or 308.

I only own 7 military grade Mausers of the M-98 variety and those are all but one the Czech Vz-24 versions. But have built 4 hunting rifles from old actions and new barrels and retaining the 8x57 chambering. The 8x57 will drop with ease anything in the western hemisphere. But full European pressure standards for the 8x57S must be used for heavier game hunting. For military rifle shooting the PPU ammo is fantastic. It is so inexpensive that it sometimes makes no sense to reload the 8x57. It is clean burning, consistent, moderate and accurate. When I buy it I normally by about 25 boxes at a time. The reloading components from PPU are also excellent.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Thanks for the info guns, im just looking to plink, maybe load some stuff for deer. I will probably pick yalls brains as im working up some pet loads and cleaning the trigger up. The 2nd stage needs sone smoothing and lightening up for my taste.

Than for your purposes you would LOVE the PPU ammo. In either the 175, 196, or 198gr. But because this ammo is loaded a bit lighter than the S&B ammo than I would sight your rifle in one and stay with it. Myself my favorite is the 185gr Grom (Thunder) but it is hard to find. It is loaded a bit hotter and has a bit more punch. But the 196Sp and the 198FMJ are pretty much interchangeable. One for hunting and the other for plinking. The PPU ammo is the least expensive and the best for the price. That is the only stuff I soot in my Yugo Mauser. The only thing I did to my Yugo is to pull off the rear sight and replace it with a peep sight. It is much more accurate for me that way.

Also, PPU sells realoding bullets which you can do the realodes if you wish. That way you can match your loads to their commercial ammunition and not worry about Kentucky windage between ammo.

Gunny

StoneyWV

Sep 11, 2013
    Loading rounds at mid pressure for hunting with ballistic tips for my fathers custom 98 that my grandfather brought back from Germany and custom stocked. It’s an MOA gun with the barrel floated. Going to load up some lead free this fall for him. Hit me up if you want some data?

Is this with a OE military barrel or a new stile button rifled barrel? If it is an OE barrel I wouldn't use solid bullets in it. They are much harder than lead core bullets and I just wouldn't risk shooting them through deep rifled(cut) rifling. But that is just me. If it is a button rifled barrel than there is no problem with solids.

StoneyWV

Sep 11, 2013
    OE barrel Gunny, I'll take the chance to try them out just based on frequency of usage I'm not really worried about rifling. This gun gets about 5 rounds a year shot through it and I checked measurements and the E-Tips are .323 and the with the ballistic tips actually measuring .324 so I feel like they gave a little wiggle room. I'll make sure they show no signs of pressure at all when I load up the first few. Appreciate the comments though as this does seem to be an issue on some occasions. If he was a range shooter I would lean away from them for sure.

If you have your mind set on using solids in a barrel which is cut riffling, than I would do two things. #1 call the bullet manufacturer and ask their expert opinion. #2 Seat the bullet a bit deeper than normal to give yourself a tad more freebore. This will reduce the pressures in the barrel and give the bullet time to conform to the riffling. Please remember that these homogeneous metal bullets came long after cut rifling was done and gone and well into the button riffling was the trend. I doubt that the bullet manufacturers ever expected anyone using them in mil. surplus barrels. Especially ones that are 85+ years old.

Gunny

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom