• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I keep reading articles about pfas in the tidal waters all around here. I get that water and soil contamination is a concern but I hope this doesn't lead to base or facility closures. Our local economy is very dependent on military facilities.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    This.

In addition to the chemical pollution, take a look at a marine chart of the Bay - dozens of unexploded ordnance, dumped waste, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the early 70s the Coast Guard use to dump batteries from the automated light houses in to the waters around them. They were cleaned up back in the late 80s by a super fund project. I was a PM for a sea wall project back in the mid 80s. It was on an army base the the USCG took over in 1966. We found live howitzer shells and WWII torpedoes buried. EOD came and blew them up out in the harbor. Many of our military bases have buried ordnance long forgotten.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    You can browse these sites easily. They seem well documented.

A superfund site that is terribly fascinating is Pitcher, OK. They mined the land there and stirred up a lot of dust. The following rates of mental disabilities came next with the heavy metal poisoning.

Not surprised. I heard Russett community at 198/295, or better yet, across from Total Wine, was a range receiving many rounds of practice from Camp Meade.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    You can browse these sites easily. They seem well documented.

A superfund site that is terribly fascinating is Pitcher, OK. They mined the land there and stirred up a lot of dust. The following rates of mental disabilities came next with the heavy metal poisoning.

Not surprised. I heard Russett community at 198/295, or better yet, across from Total Wine, was a range receiving many rounds of practice from Camp Meade.
    In the area roughly bounded by MD 295/32/MARC RR tracks/Patuxent River you should be very careful sticking a shovel in the ground!!! That area was armor training ranges for many years and UXO is plentiful. The rest of Fort Meade is suspect for UXO and has/had multiple Superfund sites for other contamination.

....and yes, some was found behind the old 7-11 along 198, but that was before you get to the parkway. Never heard of any in Russett. Ranges never extended much past the Parkway.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    This is the prelude to when NAWC PaxRiver moves the radar work elsewhere due to the wind farm they can say they are better off wo the base there

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    In the area roughly bounded by MD 295/32/MARC RR tracks/Patuxent River you should be very careful sticking a shovel in the ground!!! That area was armor training ranges for many years and UXO is plentiful. The rest of Fort Meade is suspect for UXO and has/had multiple Superfund sites for other contamination.

....and yes, some was found behind the old 7-11 along 198, but that was before you get to the parkway. Never heard of any in Russett. Ranges never extended much past the Parkway.

Tipton air field. One UXO was found. Brought in crew to assess. There was a front page photo, maybe even shared on MDS where the whole lot was just marker flags.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Tipton air field. One UXO was found. Brought in crew to assess. There was a front page photo, maybe even shared on MDS where the whole lot was just marker flags.
    The ballfields on MD198 on the other side of the Little Pax from Tipton took over two years to complete........turn over ground, clunk, UXO survey, remediate, turn over ground, clunk, rinse, repeat, and repeat, and repeat......

......while playing Softball, everytime someone hit a ball into the woods, I expected to hear a boom!!!

The Refuge had the same result when the were building a maintenance building behind those fields......entire area was covered in white wire flags.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    And if it ain't .mil waste.. try signing up for water health alerts.

Those emails come in often with warnings to not swim at this beach or avoid a marina, due to a few thousand gallons of raw sewage accidentally/mistakenly being released.

I am shamed for spreading some fertilizer... But a tractor trailer tanker load of raw sewage seems rather common to misplace in the local waters. Like Al Gore stepping of his jet to browbeat me how I'm melting glaciers.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I keep reading articles about pfas in the tidal waters all around here. I get that water and soil contamination is a concern but I hope this doesn't lead to base or facility closures. Our local economy is very dependent on military facilities.
    Oddly enough, many local economies depend on unpolluted water.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    The site of the Navy campground in Solomon's was used during WWII to manufacture mines and torpedoes. I have wondered why the Navy has kept the base open and not sold the valuable land. They have a small support equipment rework facility there besides the campground, for justification? Could ordnance be buried there, too?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The site of the Navy campground in Solomon's was used during WWII to manufacture mines and torpedoes. I have wondered why the Navy has kept the base open and not sold the valuable land. They have a small support equipment rework facility there besides the campground, for justification? Could ordnance be buried there, too?
    To answer this question, I'll refer you back to Fort Meade.....

The first BRAC plan had great plans for this "highly desirable waterfront property with great development potential located mid way between D.C. and Baltimore." The second BRAC plan transferred it to the Department of Interior "to conserve this last large tract of undeveloped Patuxent river watershed"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom