Tax stamp at dealer 8/11/21

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Form 4
    Check cashed 12/28/20
    Tax stamp at dealer 8/11/21
    My form 4 individual, check cashed 12/25/20, and still pending. I called ATF yesterday, Rebecca said “pending, we’re running about 7 months”. I told her I’m almost at 8 months and counting (we’re in the 8th month but not completed yet until September), she didn’t speak a word after that. I was planning on at least 3 more cans and buying them all at the same time very soon, until this process has stalled. Hopefully I don’t ultimately get rejected for some reason unbeknownst to me, I’m not spending more money and going thru this painfully stupid process again until I get the first one thru successfully.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My form 4 individual, check cashed 12/25/20, and still pending. I called ATF yesterday, Rebecca said “pending, we’re running about 7 months”. I told her I’m almost at 8 months and counting (we’re in the 8th month but not completed yet until September), she didn’t speak a word after that. I was planning on at least 3 more cans and buying them all at the same time very soon, until this process has stalled. Hopefully I don’t ultimately get rejected for some reason unbeknownst to me, I’m not spending more money and going thru this painfully stupid process again until I get the first one thru successfully.

Relax, there was a time when stamps were taking a year+. You will get it when you get it. There is nothing you can do but wait and put more in the system. Buy those 3 one a month so you will have stamps showing up for a while. Its like a long Christmas season.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Relax, there was a time when stamps were taking a year+. You will get it when you get it. There is nothing you can do but wait and put more in the system. Buy those 3 one a month so you will have stamps showing up for a while. Its like a long Christmas season.
    Good idea, I’ll spread the next 3 out a few months, then sometime approximately next Spring I’ll get new toys unexpectedly every so often. No hurry on those future ones, this first one is going on my SR-25 to hunt with this season, I need to mount it and get dialed in ahead of time and I’m usually terrible with dragging my feet frequently on things like this, so the sooner the better.

I’m much better with impulse purchases, waiting isn’t my strong suit on expensive purchases that I don’t truly need.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good idea, I’ll spread the next 3 out a few months, then sometime approximately next Spring I’ll get new toys unexpectedly every so often. No hurry on those future ones, this first one is going on my SR-25 to hunt with this season, I need to mount it and get dialed in ahead of time and I’m usually terrible with dragging my feet frequently on things like this, so the sooner the better.

I’m much better with impulse purchases, waiting isn’t my strong suit on expensive purchases that I don’t truly need.

That’s what my Omega 300 was for. I also grabbed an Obsidian 45 for SWC hunting. Doubt I’ll get the 45 can in time. Though I don’t have a lever gun and I am leaning towards a Marlin CST 357. I’d rather get a new one. Which means waiting for Ruger to start production and at least early reports of how the Ruglins are.

But if I am moderately lucky around Christmas or thanksgiving my Obsidian should break out of jail.

The rate I am going is about 1 new can a year. Though I put in for the Obsidian about 2 weeks before I could pickup the Omega 300. I also have an Element 2.

Odds are decent I’ll wait a couple of years before I get anything else. I really need to use all my cans on my various hosts to get a feel for if there is something I need or am missing out on. I am thinking something like the YHM R9 might be a good can to get for what I want. But maybe not. Dunno.

Another 22 can might be the way to go also. So one can live on my 10/22 host and one could be swapped between 22s. Though I’d need other 22s for that. Oddly I only have a 10/22. I need to remedy that also soon. So as you can see, no hurry on extra rimfire cans.

My Element 2 took about 9 1/2 months when everything was still taking around 11 months on average. My Omega 300 took 7 1/2 months with the average according to the ATF as 7 at the time, but ATF tracker was saying more like 6.5.

The thing is, look at what people are saying on Reddit and some other places. It’s once you are clearly past the month your check was cashed in you can start feeling frustrated.

For example if your check was cashed in late January and plenty of folks are still turning up with getting their stamps approved from January…it sucks but take breaths. If EVERYONE is getting their’s back from February and some from March…that’s also time to relax.

But obviously you’ll just be feeling understandably really annoyed then.

My element 2 got approved when I was only seeing a couple people from my month getting approved (everyone was a month or so before me). My Omega 300 I was seeing a lot of people from late in my month (I was mid month) and a handful of people early the next month.

I had also called NFA Branch about my Omega 300 and was told still in process and 2 weeks later my FFL called to say my paperwork and stamp came in. Not that one had anything to do with the other. Just that probably I got approved within a day or two of my call.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Got a rugged 45 and a Bowers 50 in jail. I plan to use the bowers on my Beowulf for white tail but it'll probably be next year...

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    251 days later, I was finally able to bring the hybrid home. Had to go to the shop it was at to transfer a rifle to a friend, only to discover my paperwork had been delivered the same day. :D

Now to get ball rolling on the salvo k sitting at my buds shop

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Now to get ball rolling on the salvo k sitting at my buds shop
    Owner of a full size salvo 12 here. Unless you just can’t afford the extra cost, are getting a screaming deal, or have experience with the salvo, I would recommend you purchase the full size and buy the rods to run it in K configuration while you’re waiting. Reason being that it’s not really that much more expensive, and it gives you more versatility down the road. Plus it’s not like you can buy the baffle modules to make it longer if you change your mind and decide you wanted the full size model.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Owner of a full size salvo 12 here. Unless you just can’t afford the extra cost, are getting a screaming deal, or have experience with the salvo, I would recommend you purchase the full size and buy the rods to run it in K configuration while you’re waiting. Reason being that it’s not really that much more expensive, and it gives you more versatility down the road. Plus it’s not like you can buy the baffle modules to make it longer if you change your mind and decide you wanted the full size model.

Buddy got it for me through rsr a while ago, the K was all they had in stock at the time, and wasn’t terribly priced, it should work just fine for me :) I got to handle a mossy 590 with a salvo 12 the night I picked up the hybrid, it’s a bit too front heavy for my liking

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    FINALLY!
    Form 4 Individual, thru SilencerShop kiosk
    Check cashed 12/25/20
    Approved 8/17/21
    LGS called 9/2/21
    Took possession 9/3/21
    * ATF tracker said less than 200 days, ATF phone line said 7 months - mine took 8 months and 2 days (236 days to approval & it took a while to get to my FFL, 249 days in total to possession.

The part that miffs me (other than the lack of instant purchase gratification) is that I called after 8/17 and they told me it was pending, when apparently it had in fact already been approved on 8/17.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    FINALLY!
    Check cashed 12/25/20
    Approved 8/17/21
    LGS called 9/2/21
    Took possession 9/3/21
    * ATF tracker said less than 200 days, ATF phone line said 7 months - mine took 8 months and 2 days (236 days to approval & it took a while to get to my FFL, 249 days in total to possession.

The part that miffs me (other than the lack of instant purchase gratification) is that I called after 8/17 and they told me it was pending, when apparently it had in fact already been approved on 8/17.
    Calling to check status rarely does any good beyond making you feel like you’re doing something. That said, I’ve had two instances where USPS has lost my tax stamps, and either me or my dealer calling allowed us to facilitate getting a certified copy and eventual transfer. But I have a lot of tax stamps, so that’s only about 10% of my form 4s.

FINALLY!
    Check cashed 12/25/20
    Approved 8/17/21
    LGS called 9/2/21
    Took possession 9/3/21

On my last purchase (2019) I called in at 5 months and was told that my application has only been received in June (purchased in Feb). I called my FFL and he confirmed the paperwork had been shipped in Feb. I got my Approval first week of Sept. IMO calling is a waste of time.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Calling to check status rarely does any good beyond making you feel like you’re doing something. That said, I’ve had two instances where USPS has lost my tax stamps, and either me or my dealer calling allowed us to facilitate getting a certified copy and eventual transfer. But I have a lot of tax stamps, so that’s only about 10% of my form 4s.
    I only called because SilencerShop recommended I call. SilencerShop sent me a strangely worded email saying “Great news, your suppressor has been released from ATF jail”, and also that “now that you have your suppressor, here are some items you may need...”. I called my FFL & told him about this email and he said the paperwork wasn’t backnyet. I emailed SilencerShop and they told me that was a generic email, badically a sales tactic in case my stamp was approved at that point. They recommended I check the NFA tracker and call the ATF office. I did both, both said pending, 7 months (but it was already one month longer). SilencerShop apologized in that 2nd email for the misleading wording. I was ok waiting for all that time, up until SilencerShop led me to believe I was held up longer for some reason. I figured calling any government agency was pointless, especially that one. I was following instructions from SilencerShop though I’m not sure what I was expecting to find out?

The part that I don’t like about the call was that I was actually approved at that point (approved 8/17, called on 19th IIRC) when I spoke to the lady that told me I was still “pending”.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I only called because SilencerShop recommended I call. SilencerShop sent me a strangely worded email saying “Great news, your suppressor has been released from ATF jail”, and also that “now that you have your suppressor, here are some items you may need...”. I called my FFL & told him about this email and he said the paperwork wasn’t backnyet. I emailed SilencerShop and they told me that was a generic email, badically a sales tactic in case my stamp was approved at that point. They recommended I check the NFA tracker and call the ATF office. I did both, both said pending, 7 months (but it was already one month longer). SilencerShop apologized in that 2nd email for the misleading wording. I was ok waiting for all that time, up until SilencerShop led me to believe I was held up longer for some reason. I figured calling any government agency was pointless, especially that one. I was following instructions from SilencerShop though I’m not sure what I was expecting to find out?

The part that I don’t like about the call was that I was actually approved at that point (approved 8/17, called on 19th IIRC) when I spoke to the lady that told me I was still “pending”.
    It is unusual for them to give out bad info on the present status of the approval. I’m sure it happens occasionally, but I have to admit that your case is the first I’ve heard of in recent memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom