Looking for a Colt 14.5" Barrel For Your Next SBR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Not perfect world but any reason why using this barrel with a non M4 cut receiver would be a big no no ?

Something like this. Not ideal but it will work. I think it just has more to do with the feeding geometry. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 484D9525-4410-47E7-882C-BE3CAD44DD65.jpeg
      484D9525-4410-47E7-882C-BE3CAD44DD65.jpeg
      48 KB · Views: 197

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Where could I find a genuine, NIB, all correct, complete Colt SOCOM p/w upper? I’m ready immediately..... thanks

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Where could I find a genuine, NIB, all correct, complete Colt SOCOM p/w upper? I’m ready immediately..... thanks

I’m not sure there’s any to be found unless you stumble upon someone selling second hand. The closest I’ve seen were the ones Shark Arms was selling a couple of months back (that I got screwed over on due to someone’s stupidity). It might just be easier to build one as barrels always seem to be available lately. Plus you could put a better muzzle device on it instead of that piece of garbage Colt used. Not sure what they were thinking there but there many better options. Just something to consider.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have seen online companies offering P&W SOCOMs. You have to comb the web for them. They aren't going to drop into your lap though...

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Check on Gunbroker. Often there are dealers who part out SOCOM completes.

That will get you a genuine NIB Colt SOCOM, but if you’re looking for a “correct” clone, be aware that Colt ships theirs with an odd muzzle device. Longer than an A2, but at the shaft, not the cage.

Attachments

• 7B7E94E6-72A2-4881-9409-5D75B26CF11B.jpg
      7B7E94E6-72A2-4881-9409-5D75B26CF11B.jpg
      13.9 KB · Views: 148

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    ^^ thanks guys, still looking for a new SOCOM upper, been combing the web. LOL

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Something like this. Not ideal but it will work. I think it just has more to do with the feeding geometry. Hope it helps.

I did find that before when researching the idea. Having second thoughts on doing a pin and weld myself I will be sourcing that out and depending upon where I go. Having the receiver cut and matched to the barrel so everything is right.

Socom barrel with a three prong flash hider, mounted to a Brownells Proto upper, slick sided '601' lower and A2 stock. Should be a real Frankenstein :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Check on Gunbroker. Often there are dealers who part out SOCOM completes.

CRAZY prices.

I can buy a new Colt upper from Brownells and a SOCOM barrel from them, and have Chad swap the barrels for less money that they are asking.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Credit to Fedex for Easter sunday delivery.

Now I got an issue... So I got the 14.5 socom barrel and a A1 style F-H. Put a crush washer on and screw the F-H on. Check with the dowel rod and measuring tape.. Need almost another 1/4 inch to be in the clear without any question. If I put two crush washers onto the barrel and thread the F-H on and check again it is just at 16"... I'd like to err a little more on the side of 16.1-16.13 inches so there is no question of length.

It has to be pinned/welded anyways so making a spacer out of stainless bar stock would be a simple solution and still leave plenty of thread engadgement ?

Looks like the colt pinned/welded flash hider is a little longer than the standard A1 or A2 unit ?

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Credit to Fedex for Easter sunday delivery.

Now I got an issue... So I got the 14.5 socom barrel and a A1 style F-H. Put a crush washer on and screw the F-H on. Check with the dowel rod and measuring tape.. Need almost another 1/4 inch to be in the clear without any question. If I put two crush washers onto the barrel and thread the F-H on and check again it is just at 16"... I'd like to err a little more on the side of 16.1-16.13 inches so there is no question of length.

It has to be pinned/welded anyways so making a spacer out of stainless bar stock would be a simple solution and still leave plenty of thread engadgement ?

Looks like the colt pinned/welded flash hider is a little longer than the standard A1 or A2 unit ?

Are you married to the A1 flash hider? I doubt they are in stock at the moment and would need to check, but BCM sells an A2X extended flash hider. I wish Colt would have used that on their M4A1 factory rifles instead of that abortion they decided on. There’s also plenty of other flash hiders to get the OAL of the barrel to 16”+. I used a Surefire SFCT. The 3 prong should work too. I wouldn’t use more than one crush washer personally.

And I second credit to Fedex for a Sunday delivery. And Easter Sunday no less. I ordered my second stripped barrel last week from Brownells and wasn’t expecting it until tomorrow.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Brownells shows the extended BCM flash hider in stock and it comes with the pin and washer so I'll just order that, thank you for the suggestion.

It is preference but I like the early style prong flash hiders vs the bird cage.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    :lol2: It is awful...

SFCT is now my favorite muzzle device I think. :thumbsup:

It truly is awful. I don’t know what they were thinking. Lol

I regret not buying another one or two SFCT the last time I saw them in stock. It has quickly become one of my favorites as well.

Here's what I went with:

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-a2x-extended-a2-flash-suppressor/

I'm waiting for the pin & weld from Duffy's.

That’s the one! Aesthetically, I like it better than the regular A2. It looks good on my BCM M4 upper with the P/W 14.5” on it.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Brownells shows the extended BCM flash hider in stock and it comes with the pin and washer so I'll just order that, thank you for the suggestion.

It is preference but I like the early style prong flash hiders vs the bird cage.

I think you have a good idea of the options available for the A1 fh. I’m not familiar with anyone who could rig up a spacer that would look correct although I’m sure someone out there could. Glad you found an A2X as most stuff still seems sold out everywhere.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Got a chance to disassemble my SOCOM upper today and good thing I did. As mentioned, the FSB was canted but it looks like the taper pins were a little bent when I tapped them out.

Went ahead and removed the barrel nut, cleaned the threads, added AS and torqued to 40ft/lbs. Only needed a bit more to get to the next notch so all was good. Tapped in new FN taper pins and it is perfect now. Looks like that is the "married" FSB.

Just have to get a rear sight and optic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom