• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I picked up a savage mark 2 yesterday. It had a crappy scope on it so I put a Nikon 3x9x40 I had on it. I think this is the only rifle I don't need to do anything to and just shoot it and clean it.

I like it a lot, its slick as snot.

40 grain cci did pretty good at 50 yards.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Sounds like you got a winner. I like the woodgrain pattern. Can't help but think that it's new growth, so it's probably a bit softer and has fewer growth rings. The stock appears a bit thicker than some of the classic (older) rifles I'm more familiar with. Don't blame you for not going with a poly stock, even though they are more durable and usually lighter, something about the wood that really makes the rifle. Bravo. :)

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I just picked up a Savage Mark 2 as well. I got the thumbhole version. The only scope I had laying around was an old Tasco 3x9. At least it's a Japanese model. Unfortunately, the only ammo I have is Federal bulk. My groups are pretty erratic with some looking like yours and (most) others bigger than that. It could be the scope, the ammo or me.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    SWEET rifle. Looks like it has the AccuTrigger, which is a very good trigger system for stock equipment.

I have a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 rimfire scope on a Savage Mk II BTV 22 and an identical scope on a Ruger 10-22. It is one of the best-bang-for-the-buck rimfire scopes available.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Bringing my old thread back up from the dead. I'm going to be sending the barrel off to class 3 machine to get threaded. While that's out I'm going to do some tweaking on the trigger.
    I may repurpose the nikon onto a deer rifle. Since it's now 2021 and newer stuff is out there, what higher magnification rimfire optic is the ticket nowadays? I like my meuler apv on my 17, but I'm ears to something getting me to 16,18,or 24x that's 300 bucks or so and under.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Bringing my old thread back up from the dead. I'm going to be sending the barrel off to class 3 machine to get threaded. While that's out I'm going to do some tweaking on the trigger.
    I may repurpose the nikon onto a deer rifle. Since it's now 2021 and newer stuff is out there, what higher magnification rimfire optic is the ticket nowadays? I like my meuler apv on my 17, but I'm ears to something getting me to 16,18,or 24x that's 300 bucks or so and under.
    I used an Apachee trigger upgrade kit for my Mk2 years back, it really allows for a light trigger pull and maintains the Accutrigger functionality. You should be able to find them on ebay, but you do need to know if you have an 'E' receiver or not.

Last edited:

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Apachee is ordered, I put one in another savage a week ago. I thought clipping a coil and polishing could get it, but whatever spring rate he has figured out is spot on.

I'm going to inlet the stock for the DIP trigger guard and mag plate. It should be a nasty rig then.

Splurged and bought a basix trigger for a marlin 783 22wrm that will be my next rimfire tune up.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Apachee is ordered, I put one in another savage a week ago. I thought clipping a coil and polishing could get it, but whatever spring rate he has figured out is spot on.

I'm going to inlet the stock for the DIP trigger guard and mag plate. It should be a nasty rig then.

Splurged and bought a basix trigger for a marlin 783 22wrm that will be my next rimfire tune up.
    I used the DIP bottom metal for mine as well, works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom