• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmichael99

Nov 9, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I want something with me if shit ever hit the fan. I thought about a keltec sub 2000 since it's nice and compact. What legal issues would I run into? Ammo would be separate and I could even lock up the gun in a case too.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Lately it seems like every new guy joining asks about the legality of carrying a gun in some unlicensed manner. Hopefully it is just a coincidence. I suggest you search long gun open carry in Maryland on Google and search the opinions of the Maryland Attorney General's office for your answer. You will find the answers you seek by conducting those searches.

Welcome to the forum.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    With so many gunsmith and firing ranges in md, I find you're almost always heading towards one when traveling in any direction. In something unrelated, can you believe some people always travel with a set of sights that need to be installed, or a set of hearing protection and shooting glasses?

Just be sure to transport handguns according to COMAR 4-203...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170704-080944.jpg
      Screenshot_20170704-080944.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 2,402

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Lately it seems like every new guy joining asks about the legality of carrying a gun in some unlicensed manner. Hopefully it is just a coincidence. I suggest you search long gun open carry in Maryland on Google and search the opinions of the Maryland Attorney General's office for your answer. You will find the answers you seek by conducting those searches.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like he has been a member longer than you?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    With so many gunsmith and firing ranges in md, I find you're almost always heading towards one when traveling in any direction. In something unrelated, can you believe some people always travel with a set of sights that need to be installed, or a set of hearing protection and shooting glasses?

Just be sure to transport handguns according to COMAR 4-203...

Seems to me that the "to formal or informal target practice" clause gives a lot of leeway

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

:lol: :lol2:
    It' s an interesting observation though, I'm thinking it's a sign of the times we live in and people are waking up to all the .....protests.... going on around them and are wondering what if?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    missed that. With 11 posts, wow. In any event we seem to have a rash of this lately. Hopefully it is just due to heightened awareness surrounding terrorism and not left wingers attempting to infiltrate. Not speaking of the OP just the recent flood of new folks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The short answer, a long gun may be carried UNLOADED in your vehicle. But expect LE interaction if it is noticed.

No need to be cased and loaded magazines are ok if not in the gun.

plenty of threads on this on the forum.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Seems like he is asking about a rifle and the cited law does not apply.

Yes, you're technically correct. What I was thinking, but didn't articulate, was that if you're legal with a handgun, then even though not written to address rifles, you'd also be legal with a rifle.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yes, you're technically correct. What I was thinking, but didn't articulate, was that if you're legal with a handgun, then even though not written to address rifles, you'd also be legal with a rifle.

Rifle carry has odd hunting statutes that some people cite, especially in relation to loaded magazines.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only statute in MD addressing long gun carry is SS 10-410c. The only prohibition is loaded IN or ON a vehicle.No other prohibitions exists, except those that some LE will quote when they detain you. Loaded magazines are not prohibited either.

The statute makes no statement that it only applies when hunting, so it applies all the time.

guess I am some people.

Good luck

IANAL

Attachments

• DNR 410c.jpg
      DNR 410c.jpg
      17.1 KB · Views: 1,460

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Not really. If you have a loaded rifle or shotty in your car you are still effed under the DNR statute. You can be on the way to the shop or range and it makes no difference.

I have a hard time coming up with a scenario where a rifle in the car would be of great use, but if I was going to have something in the car it wouldn't be a scary black gun but a wood furniture shotgun. If you have to shoot someone beyond shotgun effective range, he wasn't a threat to start with. And wood furniture for purely psychological reasons.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Not really. If you have a loaded rifle or shotty in your car you are still effed under the DNR statute. You can be on the way to the shop or range and it makes no difference.

I have a hard time coming up with a scenario where a rifle in the car would be of great use, but if I was going to have something in the car it wouldn't be a scary black gun but a wood furniture shotgun. If you have to shoot someone beyond shotgun effective range, he wasn't a threat to start with. And wood furniture for purely psychological reasons.
    True for the most part, but I have thought of one scenario in particular where a truck long gun would be excellent and where you are indeed threatened even at 100 yards. Armed terrorists shut down a tunnel and walk the line of vehicles shooting. As long as you weren't one of the first few in line to be executed an AR would be invaluable.

This could happen at the Harbor Tunnel. With the complete blockage of traffic that would result you will be fending for yourself for a long while before a substantial number of police officers could arrive.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Laws are written to prohibit things, not allow them, and are specific in nature.

Thinking a statute on handguns applies also to rifles without specifically mentioning them. is folly.

The transport statute 4-203 applies to handguns.

The DNR statute 10-410c specifically mentions both.

As an example, 4-203 requires a handgun to be in an enclosed case or holster. No such requirement exists for a long gun.

IANAL.

Attachments

• 410c.jpg
      410c.jpg
      19.3 KB · Views: 1,387

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    True for the most part, but I have thought of one scenario in particular where a truck long gun would be excellent and where you are indeed threatened even at 100 yards. Armed terrorists shut down a tunnel and walk the line of vehicles shooting. As long as you weren't one of the first few in line to be executed an AR would be invaluable.

This could happen at the Harbor Tunnel. With the complete blockage of traffic that would result you will be fending for yourself for a long while before a substantial number of police officers could arrive.

Tunnels are the only things that concern me regarding terrorism. Bridges are a close second. I think about it every time I cross the Susquehanna on 95 North.

Two cars and some basic math could wreak havoc on tunnels and bridges. Especially if the terrorists have no desire to live through it.

I avoid tunnels entirely. Bridges are impossible to avoid. A .30-30 has always been my choice for a truck/trunk gun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Laws are written to prohibit things, not allow them, and are specific in nature.

Thinking a statute on handguns applies also to rifles without specifically mentioning them. is folly.

The transport statute 4-203 applies to handguns.

The DNR statute 10-410c specifically mentions both.

As an example, 4-203 requires a handgun to be in an enclosed case or holster. No such requirement exists for a long gun.

IANAL.

I guess the sticky wicket is the "magazine or chamber" portion. Does that mean integral magazine or detached magazine? The statute is a bit foggy there.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IMO and IANAL, if the law doesn't specify, it applies to both. It also depends if the statute contains definitions. Sine SS 10-410 does not appear to, so to be safe, I would assume both.

As an example the Garand has an internal magazine used to store cartridges. Still a magazine.

But IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom