• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I think these price increases are driven by inflation. Everything is going up and doing so faster than wages are. Most expected the supply and demand crisis would end and prices per primer would eventually settle back down close to where they were. Sad to say, but I think the days of primers for under 10 cents each retail may soon be gone forever due to inflation.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Inflation is not at 40%. I seriously doubt materials and transportation costs for primers have increased 40%. IMHO This level of price increases are companies moving on the demand curve to maximize profit. Free enterprise at work. Ouch!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Inflation is not at 40%. I seriously doubt materials and transportation costs for primers have increased 40%. IMHO This level of price increases are companies moving on the demand curve to maximize profit. Free enterprise at work. Ouch!

I'm not saying inflation is 40%, but these increases are likely driven by inflation. Some categories of goods are experiencing higher rates of inflation than the average. Are ammunition precursors and related production/retail costs one such category? I don't know. But those waiting to see 3 or 4 cent per retail for primers may be waiting for something that will never happen.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    surely there's some inflation in play, but i'd say most is just good ol' excessive demand. why should mfg's and dealers sell them for $.04 when folks are buying that and flipping for $.10 or more.

the good news is i think that everyone that wants/needs primers, can get primers. i see multiple drops every day. powder actually seems to be in shorter supply now.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Supply vs demand
    With constant out of stock the prices are not high enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm not saying inflation is 40%, but these increases are likely driven by inflation. Some categories of goods are experiencing higher rates of inflation than the average. Are ammunition precursors and related production/retail costs one such category? I don't know. But those waiting to see 3 or 4 cent per retail for primers may be waiting for something that will never happen.

Inflation has spiked, but it is averaging around 6%. The said, copper compared to 2 years ago is up more than 40%. Lead is up only and little. Same with zinc. A lot of the manufacturers are also paying people a crap ton of overtime to cover the extra demand.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Inflation has spiked, but it is averaging around 6%. The said, copper compared to 2 years ago is up more than 40%. Lead is up only and little. Same with zinc. A lot of the manufacturers are also paying people a crap ton of overtime to cover the extra demand.

Using the method we once did for inflation in 1980, it's running at just over 14%. But that's not important. Neither is the average. Inflationary pressures affect everything and creep into business planning. That's what is happening all over our economy, since the inflation is real and visible. For ammo and components, this is occurring against the backdrop of depleted supply in a market with unsatisfied demand. This together says to me that the days of retail 3-4 cents per primer are gone. What's a good price? If you need 'em, buy 'em now.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Vista Outdoors announced a 15% price increase on primers effective 11/1/21. This would include Federal, CCI and Remington.

It does not look like they're going to get cheaper anytime soon.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    This morning, I seen Brownells lowered the Limit of 2 boxes to 1 box for CCI 500 primers. Other primers seems to have the same 2 box limit

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Have you seen the price of gas?

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Midway has CCI BR4's as well. $135/k vs. Natchez $150. But Midway limits to 1k, so not able to spread hazmat and shipping charges over several bricks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom