• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    After getting burglarized, wife #1 got interested in home defense and after the first few purchases, shooting as a sport. The collection grew and procurement of reloading equipment ensued. Wife #2 couldn't believe she married a guy with a NRA sticker in the back of his pickup.

Living near DC and the Metro, over the past few years #2 has become more concern about civil unrest and expressed an interest in getting comfortable with a firearm. Several YouTube videos, hours of personal instruction from you's truly, a full size FN509 with 2 x 24 rnd magazines and several hours at the MSAR range, purdy much has her ready to rock and roll.

She made a few comments during Wynonna regarding women shooting those big guns and I started my investigation. As a revolver fan and engineer, I settled on the New Vaquero. She has yet to shoot it, the grip isn't as substantial as that on the FN so she is worried about hanging onto it. I'm not pushing it as I want her muscle memory to be keyed on the FN.
    My wife has shot my 10/22 once and then lead to the biggest fight of our marriage when she spied my Colt Official Police which I have bought without her knowledge. She doesn't know much about guns, but knows enough I had never mentioned buying a revolver. We worked it out in the end, but she is still very negative towards guns. She is warming, but it has been a slow process over the ~8 years I've owned firearms. What I really need is the ideal setup where we go somewhere where other women are shooting. That would likely get her in to it. She enjoyed shooting my 10/22, and basically loathes herself for liking it.

She was raised by VERY deep liberals for Rockville (okay, her Dad was Bush Republican, but he has since turned staunch liberal).

Our close friends moved out towards Taneytown and own a farm out there. I have an invite for us to all come out and shoot some 22s and stuff into the berm behind their barn. His wife isn't big into guns, but she does the action riding or whatever it is called with blank firing SAAs and she has also shoot guns a few times and enjoys it (as in the, I won't seek it out, but its fine and I like it).

So my hope is we can do that one of these months soon. All our kids have been shooting at least once. His step son/her daughter shoots and hunts. The rest of their kids are a bit too young to be shooting yet (their oldest together is turning 6 I think). So anyway, throw out some cans and clays to shoot on the berm with 22s and fun for both families is what I am hoping for. I don't think it'll make my wife a convert, but shooting socially I think would help my wife relax about it that much more.

We have had several life events that have made her more willing to accept guns "as a necessary evil" is the way she puts it.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Maybe get some steel targets. The audible confirmation of a hit might tickle her. Also look into Women on Target. AGC hosts the events throughout the year. My wife attended on many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    "Primer Notifications" ???
    Here's a crumb to try to get this trainwreck back on track.

The SportsmanWarehouse in MorganTown WV lists MLPP in stock with low limits. Take a few friends on a road trip..

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    a couple of vendors at the chantilly gun show (ends today) had fed spp and srp for $110/k. otd price if paying cash.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Here's a crumb to try to get this train wreck back on track.

The SportsmanWarehouse in MorganTown WV lists MLPP in stock with low limits. Take a few friends on a road trip..
    Sorry about the detour. Thanks for the tip, but driving 5-6 hrs for 2 or 400 primers,... wouldn't hesitate if it was 2-4K...

Had to chuckle, saw this ad and thought about the primer shortage:

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    I just placed an order for 1K WLP primers, we'll see what happens. Their site said an expected date or something was supposed to be displayed on the product details (really it was on the checkout page) but what I saw said "Over Due" so I'm fully expecting the order to get cancelled or arrive after I'm dead. I'd rather show support for Midway than pay the scalpers at Gunbroker. I have 1.5K on hand and am not shooting all that much but,... you know,... am panicking. As a handloader, everyone knows having 1.5K is like having 100 left.
    I put in an order too. Hopefully they really get them in.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    A co-worker was on the lookout for primers for themselves and sent me a link to primersusa.com, since they "have W209s". Hmmm, suspicious, only one way to pay and they have something no one else has.... I passed.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    A co-worker was on the lookout for primers for themselves and sent me a link to primersusa.com, since they "have W209s". Hmmm, suspicious, only one way to pay and they have something no one else has.... I passed.

More sites have popped up than I have ever seen before. Some with primers priced at 7 cents, which they claim to have in stock, and which nobody known to be reputable is selling primers for. Then the only options for payment at checkout are Venmo, Paypal, Bitcoin, Google Pay and the like.

Uh, no.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    More sites have popped up than I have ever seen before. Some with primers priced at 7 cents, which they claim to have in stock, and which nobody known to be reputable is selling primers for. Then the only options for payment at checkout are Venmo, Paypal, Bitcoin, Google Pay and the like.

Uh, no.
    I saw a Remington Arms website that had the same payment requirements. They had Ohio National Guard shotguns listed on their site as "in stock" as well.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Federal Small Pistol Primers in stock at Midway: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953733657?pid=733657

Order limit of 1 box (10 sleeves) per customer. $117.03 after taxes, HazMat, and shipping.

EDIT: Now out of stock
    I placed an order for LPP prior to it showing out of stock, but never got an order confirmation email or anything. Guess I should check to see if they charged my credit card.

I don't really think we will see primer prices below $70 per K anytime in the next few years, so buying 5K at $500 is basically scalping $150. I'm thinking I should just work a few hours of OT and stop freting over it.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I placed an order for LPP prior to it showing out of stock, but never got an order confirmation email or anything. Guess I should check to see if they charged my credit card.

I don't really think we will see primer prices below $70 per K anytime in the next few years, so buying 5K at $500 is basically scalping $150. I'm thinking I should just work a few hours of OT and stop freting over it.
    My primers are coming in today. I was not happy at spending $117 for a single box of primers, especially since just a few years ago $35 was the going rate. I think this will be like 2013 again where prices will be high for a bit, but once the availability comes back we'll see prices stabilize back to normal.

It also sucks that they had an order limit of 1, so I had to pay hazmat and shipping on a single box of primers.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I was in Shydas on tuesday. They have all types of primers covered. $10/100 pretty much for all non match pistol/rifle primers. Tons of 209s in cheddite & some other euro brand. they were $300-350/5K. Hodgeton powder was $30# and other brands were $35-40# what they had in stock. may be worth a drive. They also had sporting shotgun shells and you could buy 3 flats of any squ and 3 flats of any other squ. Call ahead, there were limits on powder/primers. I bought 4# of extra lite.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I was in Shydas on tuesday. They have all types of primers covered. $10/100 pretty much for all non match pistol/rifle primers. Tons of 209s in cheddite & some other euro brand. they were $300-350/5K. Hodgeton powder was $30# and other brands were $35-40# what they had in stock. may be worth a drive. They also had sporting shotgun shells and you could buy 3 flats of any squ and 3 flats of any other squ. Call ahead, there were limits on powder/primers. I bought 4# of extra lite.

Are you sure they had all types of primers ? Last time I was up they had a lot of primers, but no large rifle or large rifle magnum, which seem to be the unicorns now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom