• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Trepang- Still no word on shipping your Special Rack yet?

No.

Now the rack special and the luck-of-the-draw service grade both show up on my e-store account along with an ammo order but I have not been contacted for updated payment info - card I used for the order had to be canceled.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Looking at the forum, they're filling service grade luck-of-the-draw requests pretty quickly.
    I'll bet I could call them and change my order and get it filled pretty quickly but I don't want a worn out barrel. I'll wait for the Special Rack.

ironcity

Feb 6, 2013
    Taneytown
    I got my DBU on the 9 Apr and showed up in E-Store the next day. As of this writing it still listed as open with no ship date yet.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Looking at the forum, they're filling service grade luck-of-the-draw requests pretty quickly.
    I'll bet I could call them and change my order and get it filled pretty quickly but I don't want a worn out barrel. I'll wait for the Special Rack.

My buddy got his special rack two days ago. I think he said the total time from mailing in to fulfillment was right around 21 weeks.

Here were his first impressions of his Special Rack:

Initial observations:
    New wood already has some scratches and dings. CMP must be scrambling to get these built and out the door.
    Gas cylinder is devoid of any finish, with some paint by the bayo lug and a couple paint spots (I'll assume it's paint, as the part is stainless, so it shouldn't be rust).
    Front sight looks like it was completely rusted at one point and cleaned up.
    Front handguard has wiggle/rattle.
    Rear sight looks as if it might have been rusty as well.
    Some pitting visible on the receiver. Refinished over the pitting. As expected from these Philippine returns.
    If I'm dating it right, looks like the receiver was made in March of '43.
    Haven't examined the other parts, but I'll assume it's just a hodge-podge of various manufacturers thrown together.
    Barrel is a new Criterion with a manufacture date of Jan '21.

He bought it to be a shooter which it should do just fine as such.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Tallen,

Thanks very much for the impressions. This will help me manage my expectations. The CMP description of this grade clearly said "WILL be some pitting above the wood line" so I knew this going in.
    Since they are rushing, I may take it to Charlie for a look-over anyway. He can square away any issues with the sights, or a sloppy trigger. I don't want a competition trigger on this one, I just want it in mil-spec.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    My buddy got his special rack two days ago. I think he said the total time from mailing in to fulfillment was right around 21 weeks.

Here were his first impressions of his Special Rack:

He bought it to be a shooter which it should do just fine as such.

Thanks for the info.

A question for my own edification - how did he determine it was a Philippine return?

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    Sent regular mail January 20
    Received dbu Tuesday stating received January 25
    Hit estore today showing processing
    Cc not charged yet

Will update when shipping confirmed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics