• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    They must be backed up by end of month submissions, still have gotten anything except that they recieved my application.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I sent some email inquiries yesterday to MSP. I received this:

Good Afternoon Mr. So and so,

I have received the email you sent to the Licensing Division in reference to your machine gun registration. The machine gun process does not include a background check and therefore are processed throughout the year. We aim to process registrations within 90 days or receipt but this is not always possible and depends on the amount of regulated firearms applications the Division receives to process. Your machine gun registration 21MGR000902 was received on 5/26/2021 and you should have received an email advising your registration was received by the MDSP. Machine Gun registration 21MGR000902 has not been processed as of yet. You have complied with Maryland Criminal Law 4-403 when you submitted your registration. If any corrections need to be made, you will be notified via email and your Licensing Portal account of the needed correction and the application will be sent back to you but this will not negate the fact that you have complied with Criminal Law 4-403 for time submission purposes.

This tells me they give themselves 90 days for full processing. In the past I would send a SASE with a copy of the form for them to stamp it and send back to me. They would do this fairly promptly. Now I realize that was merely a notice they received the renewal form, like the email the electronic system sent this year after submitting online. Maybe they have always allowed 90 days. Now for me, I'll look out until near the end of this month to see what new notification I should get.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I sent some email inquiries ...
    ...... You have complied with Maryland Criminal Law 4-403 when you submitted your registration. .... but this will not negate the fact that you have complied with Criminal Law 4-403 for time submission purposes.

... In the past I would send a SASE with a copy of the form for them to stamp it and send back to me. They would do this fairly promptly. ....

This is exactly what I have been saying! Guys you need to stop this stuff! Once you submit the registration you have done all you need to comply with the law! That is it! Done! No more needed! Stop thinking about it! Stop worrying about it. Stop caring that they process it. What MSP does is not your problem. If something happens, you can swear under Oath that you did what you needed to meet the requirements of the law. They are not going to be able to prove otherwise.

If you guys keep this stuff up, people are going to think that until MSP says its ok for you to keep your MG for this year, you need to be worried. Then people will start thinking they need to keep their original ATF paperwork on them at all times, wait people already think this... This is exactly how these extra laws that don't really exist start coming into play. Soon Police will want to see my copy of the MSP approval for this year otherwise they will arrest me because they hear we need it!

You may have received stamped copies back in the mail quickly as have I. However I have also received some a year after I sent them in and some I never received back. There is no law that you must have a receipt for your registration.

IF you guys are really worried, check your CC statement and see the $10 processing charge. That is more than enough proof you registered it! Otherwise what they hell are they charging you $10 for!

Seriously guys, this is some BS required by the state of MD that no one cares about. No one is looking into it. Its a PITA for the police and they do not care about it one way or another. No one has, to my knowledge, ever had an issue with forgetting or never having registered it. I am not saying you should not do it, but I am saying, for sure, you should not worry about it and you should stop thinking about it forever once you hit the submit button! Relax and enjoy your life as you will be no more secure as a gun owner from random ATF or MSP abuse with or without this confirmation that you submitted your registration. Stop wasting MSP's time with questions on the subject, they don't care about it.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    BTW, I did get an email saying the application was completed and accepted.

When did you get your application in to MSP? I filed mine during the last few days of May and haven't gotten an acceptance.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I filed May 30, still haven’t heard back either. Was told processing them is a low priority.

I sure hope that's the case. I don't recall having ever hearing back from them, one way or the other, since I started filing about six years ago.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I sent some email inquiries yesterday to MSP. I received this:

Good Afternoon Mr. So and so,

I have received the email you sent to the Licensing Division in reference to your machine gun registration. The machine gun process does not include a background check and therefore are processed throughout the year. We aim to process registrations within 90 days or receipt but this is not always possible and depends on the amount of regulated firearms applications the Division receives to process. Your machine gun registration 21MGR000902 was received on 5/26/2021 and you should have received an email advising your registration was received by the MDSP. Machine Gun registration 21MGR000902 has not been processed as of yet. You have complied with Maryland Criminal Law 4-403 when you submitted your registration. If any corrections need to be made, you will be notified via email and your Licensing Portal account of the needed correction and the application will be sent back to you but this will not negate the fact that you have complied with Criminal Law 4-403 for time submission purposes.

This tells me they give themselves 90 days for full processing. In the past I would send a SASE with a copy of the form for them to stamp it and send back to me. They would do this fairly promptly. Now I realize that was merely a notice they received the renewal form, like the email the electronic system sent this year after submitting online. Maybe they have always allowed 90 days. Now for me, I'll look out until near the end of this month to see what new notification I should get.

I got a more simplified response back in July.I inquired about my status as well since I didnt see anything besides the auto generated 'accepted'.

Good Morning Mr. xxx ,

Your machine gun application was received by the Maryland State Police (MSP) on 5/27/2021. You will receive a notice of completion once the registration has been completed. You have completed the registration requirement submission deadline by submitting the application. The machine gun registrations are processed throughout the year.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    You guys are still going to be asking MSP about this by the time the next registration happens in 2022...

On the bright side, you guys are bugging them so much maybe they will ask the legislature to remove this requirement.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Just got a call from the trooper who has been assigned to cover this. Pretty cool and understanding guy, made some changes in their system. I submitted May 30, so they should be through their list soon.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Just got a call from the trooper who has been assigned to cover this. Pretty cool and understanding guy, made some changes in their system. I submitted May 30, so they should be through their list soon.

You should be getting a 4:00AM one knock and kick in the door soon. Be sure to put your dog in the basement at night.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

A picture Ericoak's pretty cool and understanding COP with his buddy.

pulp.JPG

I am going to bet Ericoak does not have a watch his Father carried up his anus for a number of years either...

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Just received the following email from MSP, "Your Machine Gun registration has been accepted by the Maryland State Police via the Licensing Portal. Your application number is: xxxxxxxxxx."

I completed my registration just before the 5/31 deadline, so it was about a 4 1/2 month wait. I heard nothing from MSP during those 4 1/2 months.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Submitted mine on 5/23 , got the email saying it was submitted same day and on 12/19 got the same email as above saying it is approved. No contact from anyone during this time, I haven’t gotten anything else either.

Almost 7 months but it is before we need to redo it, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom