• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coopdog373

Feb 13, 2009
    herndon
    Friends-Does anyone here have direct experience with an AR-180? Friends father died and we discovered one in his numerous rolled up blankets? Interesting fast is several markings on it only say AR-18 and that "0" means a lot. If anyone has one and can give insight to its worth, ease of getting magazines parts etc. it would be appreciated. I have some good pics to upload later, its in great shape for being stored in the crawl space....

All comments welcomed

Coopdog

Attachments

• image5.jpg
      image5.jpg
      85.3 KB · Views: 376
    • image4.jpg
      image4.jpg
      101 KB · Views: 367
    • image2.jpg
      image2.jpg
      97 KB · Views: 374
    • image0.jpg
      image0.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 375
    Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    AR-18s are select-fire...AR-180 is the semi-auto civilian version. It sounds like it has AR-18 parts on it which are interchangeable with the AR-180. Value depends on whether it's Costa Mesa, CA made, How mande in Japan or Sterling made in the UK. The US made version is most valuable...Sterling made are least valuable.

Magazines are pretty much proprietary and don't interchange with AR-15/M16 mags even though they look similar. There have been magazines made that fit Ar-180, AR-15 and Mini-14...and they don't work well in any.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I have been impressed buy your firearms acknowledge over the years.
    Especially over not so common firearms.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Would be easier if you took a picture of the left side of the receiver. Doesn't seem to have the "auto" marking on the selector.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    There's a YouTube video with Ian a dude from PWS and another dude from Brownells they get into the recoil system and provide some history. I believe this was Eugene stoners brainchild after creating the AR.

Steeles in Delaware may have one I thought I saw one on their Facebook page. They pop up for sale here and there but from the photos I've seen quality is an issue then the prices were up there

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The AR-18 was designed by Eugene Stoner as a less expensive rifle for nations with less developed technical and manufacturing bases. It was primarily made of stampings and easily sourced parts rather than expensive forgings. I've seen some say it should have been the US service rifle rather than the M16...that's arguable I guess.

Another reason behind its design was to avoid the patents on the AR-15/M16 since they were sold to Colt.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The AR180 shown in the first post was made by Sterling in England. The black paint, circlips on the hammer and trigger pins, and reinforcing welds on the front pin plate are the giveaways. All of these features are seen only on Sterling made rifles. All 180's use a grip marked "AR18" because when the grip mold was made, the 180 was not planned. Once it became obvious that no military contracts were forthcoming and the 180 came about, it was decided that it would be pointless and expensive to redo the grip molds so they were used as is. I've loved the 180 since I came of age in the 80's and have one of the first 1000 Costa Mesa made jobbers. These rifle used to be dirt cheap and nobody wanted them because they are obscure (never understood that one) and appear to be cheaply made (which is most certainly not the case). They are no longer so cheap when you find them and prices are steadily climbing. IMO, if they were more widely recognized for just how much influence they've had on modern military rifle design, they would be significantly more valuable. Costa Mesa examples in good condition are now well over $2000. In fact, I was offered $2800 for mine just last year and another $1000 for the scope.

The value of a Sterling in excellent condition (as the one in the first post appears to be) is currently about $1500 for just the rifle to $1800 if it has the box and original included accessories. There were several variations of the scope made and values on those range from about $800-$1200 depending on condition, variation and whether or not the box and other bits are included. Parts are unobtanium but if the rifle is properly cared for and treated, it should last indefinitely. Magazines are less than common and can get very expensive depending on the round count, markings and manufacturer. Standard AR15 magazines can be modified to fit but they have to be done just right or reliability will suffer. The best bet is to just use original magazines and replace the springs. Standard AR magazine springs will work just fine.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    AR-18s are select-fire...AR-180 is the semi-auto civilian version. It sounds like it has AR-18 parts on it which are interchangeable with the AR-180. Value depends on whether it's Costa Mesa, CA made, How mande in Japan or Sterling made in the UK. The US made version is most valuable...Sterling made are least valuable.

Magazines are pretty much proprietary and don't interchange with AR-15/M16 mags even though they look similar. There have been magazines made that fit Ar-180, AR-15 and Mini-14...and they don't work well in any.

You can modify M16/AR15 mags to work in the AR18/AR180. Any workbench gunsmith can handle the mods with a Dremel

A Costa Mesa or a Howa are the rifles to pick up.

https://rifleshooter.com/2019/07/ar-180-magazines-modifying-ar-15-m16-m4-magazines-to-fit-an-ar-180/

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    The “Widowmaker” is one of the most underrated and unappreciated rifles made for combat. That picture of the Provo gun bunny blasting off at the corner of the building just makes it all the better.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The AR180 shown in the first post was made by Sterling in England. The black paint, circlips on the hammer and trigger pins, and reinforcing welds on the front pin plate are the giveaways. All of these features are seen only on Sterling made rifles. All 180's use a grip marked "AR18" because when the grip mold was made, the 180 was not planned. Once it became obvious that no military contracts were forthcoming and the 180 came about, it was decided that it would be pointless and expensive to redo the grip molds so they were used as is. I've loved the 180 since I came of age in the 80's and have one of the first 1000 Costa Mesa made jobbers. These rifle used to be dirt cheap and nobody wanted them because they are obscure (never understood that one) and appear to be cheaply made (which is most certainly not the case). They are no longer so cheap when you find them and prices are steadily climbing. IMO, if they were more widely recognized for just how much influence they've had on modern military rifle design, they would be significantly more valuable. Costa Mesa examples in good condition are now well over $2000. In fact, I was offered $2800 for mine just last year and another $1000 for the scope.

The value of a Sterling in excellent condition (as the one in the first post appears to be) is currently about $1500 for just the rifle to $1800 if it has the box and original included accessories. There were several variations of the scope made and values on those range from about $800-$1200 depending on condition, variation and whether or not the box and other bits are included. Parts are unobtanium but if the rifle is properly cared for and treated, it should last indefinitely. Magazines are less than common and can get very expensive depending on the round count, markings and manufacturer. Standard AR15 magazines can be modified to fit but they have to be done just right or reliability will suffer. The best bet is to just use original magazines and replace the springs. Standard AR magazine springs will work just fine.

Anything you don't own?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Anything you don't own?

Lol. Yes sir, lots of stuff. You have to remember, I'm getting old. Back when this truly was a free state, I was buying all the firearms I could afford. I didn't drink, buy pot, or waste my money on broads. I drove (and still drive) second hand vehicles, wore (and still wear) clothing until it is literally full of holes. I own three pair of pants, a couple work shirts, a bunch of t-shirts, one pair of Converse, a pair of work boots and a pair of combat boots. I bought my first cell phone two weekends ago only because I just earned my real estate license and it will only be used for that purpose. In short, I live pretty spartan.

The pay off is that there have been a few nice things that I have wanted in life and my otherwise spartan lifestyle has afforded me the extra income to acquire those things. The main thing is my architect designed mid century modern home that I have furnished the way I wanted. I also have my old jeep, a few motorcycles, a bunch of books, a killer military strategy board game collection (worth nothing monetarily but chocked full with a lifetime of memories), some wood working equipment and my firearms. The rest has been put away to (hopefully) provide me a comfortable retirement. That's me in a nutshell. I'm a simple guy who doesn't own much. BUT, the for things I do own, I try to own Quality.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    ...and know absolutely everything about?

Seriously Combloc....we should be friends :beer:

Because I don't own much, I have the luxury of researching the hell out of what I do have. If I do know something, I enjoy sharing the knowledge but I keep my mouth shut on things I'm clueless about.....which is most things!

I was on the cusp of starting a website for the writeups I do but the current political environment has caused me to rethink that. I bought a domain name, had a logo designed and spent a fair amount of time talking to Ian McCollum about the process. I was literally in the process of constructing the website when everything went to hell in this country. I can see the handwriting on the wall and the time is very close when we 2nd supporters will have to go to war as a unit or go underground as individuals. IMO, me running a website featuring a large number of just the sort of rifles the enemy is targeting AND detailed information about each of them is a dangerous thing at this time.

As for being friends, I'm always up for new adventures (but not gay ones). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom