• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    This morning only had two gobbling on roost. Unfortunately I dont have access to the property they were on, so I have to try to call them too me. At 715 I swear one was coming. Then for some reason he did an about face and was gone. Had one other randomly gobble by my house, but he never came out either. Occasional gobbles until 9am from other directions.

I was hoping be able to pull one over since the hens just seem to be breaking up, but it looks like its going to be another long spring off playing chess with them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I hit my blind at 5:40 to gobbling birds, watched them hit the field about 6:30 at 300 yards away gobbling but going the other direction. I get out of my blind and do a huge stalk around to get a few hundred yards in front and I get setup and they're calling and coming and they turn and start walking back. I walk up the hill to see them as they're heading back where they came. I walk down to see what spooked them, other than probably me walking up, find a couple guys 20ft off our fence on watershed property. Better luck next time for both parties

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Beautiful morning , warm very slight breeze . Not much gobbling at all . Around 730 heard a bird and pulled him to me then he just stopped . He was close , guess he was waiting for hen to come to him. We talked for about an hour before he left . Was a good time though . Other than that heard 1 other gobble and heard only one shot today. Nice day though, back to work tomorrow ughhh

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Called this one in and killed him @ 8:00am this morning on my property behind the house.

Attachments

• 40939A75-502F-403B-97B8-CB4CC4A19866.jpeg
      40939A75-502F-403B-97B8-CB4CC4A19866.jpeg
      125.8 KB · Views: 169
    • 408F06E4-9A12-42FB-B7CC-62371F9EC26B.jpeg
      408F06E4-9A12-42FB-B7CC-62371F9EC26B.jpeg
      88 KB · Views: 167
    Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Scared a hen walking through the woods this morning, and we decided to put out our decoys and sit still for a few. Had three jakes come in about 10 minutes after. Two flew out. That's my first turkey, on my third hunt.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I was out until about 8:30, had multiple gobblers going early but not real close. They stopped making noise about 7:00 and I didn't see or hear any after that. Had a nice red fox come walking up about 10 yards away and he was wandering the woods around there for a while. I suppose that didn't help my chances for a bird with the fox in the area.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Went to the shore today. Never heard a gobble, but had 5 hens come in around 0630. Sadly that was all I saw. When I was leaving this evening, they were all over the place. Probably going to regret not sticking out the weather tonight and hunting tomorrow.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My buddy and I have had decent luck, each getting a tom in as many outings. I hunted alone yesterday while my buddy had to work. He scored on opening day. Turkeys were gobbling everywhere yesterday.

Attachments

• turk1.jpg
      turk1.jpg
      231.5 KB · Views: 161
    • turk2.jpg
      turk2.jpg
      191.9 KB · Views: 158

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    My buddy and I have had decent luck, each getting a tom in as many outings. I hunted alone yesterday while my buddy had to work. He scored on opening day. Turkeys were gobbling everywhere yesterday.
    Nice looking birds!

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County

Nice bird Outrider! I believe it was last year in a thread that you recommended the Winchester Long Beard XR. I took your advice and the 3-1/2 #5 load smoked the one I killed. No need for a follow up shot! Thanks again!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice bird Outrider! I believe it was last year in a thread that you recommended the Winchester Long Beard XR. I took your advice and the 3-1/2 #5 load smoked the one I killed. No need for a follow up shot! Thanks again!

Glad they worked for you. You did the hard part- getting a turkey within range. Congrats!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

Nice Birds! A tom per outing is not bad luck at all. :thumbsup:

They never seem to start gobbling hard here until late April/early May. Still relatively quite, but the gobbles are starting to creep up. I know that they're plenty active in the valleys/fields not far from here right now.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I had a jake on a ridge this morning, 150 yards away. We talked back and forth for 90 minutes before he slowly meandered off. He just kept gobbling at me and walking around in a 10 foot circle. Two big toms walked the same ridge at 630 am, ignoring my calls.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice Birds! A tom per outing is not bad luck at all. :thumbsup:

They never seem to start gobbling hard here until late April/early May. Still relatively quite, but the gobbles are starting to creep up. I know that they're plenty active in the valleys/fields not far from here right now.

They were pretty henned up opening day. Yesterday still had plenty of hens. We focus on calling hens early season. They'll drag the toms along with them.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    They were pretty henned up opening day. Yesterday still had plenty of hens. We focus on calling hens early season. They'll drag the toms along with them.

It can get really exciting if you get a hen riled up.They usually throw caution to the wind and come right in,hopefully with a Tom in tow

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yesterday around 11am, my wife told me a bird was gobbling behind our barn, and in the evening the neighbor said he saw one while walking the dog. So this morning I set up and called. He came in at 0630 gobbling his head off. I lined up the shot and he didn't flinch. A second followed up, and he took off running. I thought for sure I missed, but I found him piled up about 40 yards away. 10.5 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.. My second turkey ever. First one on my actual property.
    ff617d9e24917dae3bf9c0e7c79a790f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom