• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    Can anyone point me in the right direction? I asked a local dealer about the legality of printing a lower in MD and he said it was illegal. If I google it, google says it's illegal.

Federally the ATF seems to say it's legal, and I can't find anything online where a bill banning them was signed into law in MD. But maybe I'm missing something. In my mind I can understand how it would be any different then a 80% or similar. I could understand if it was a fully printed gun but that's not what I'm talking about.

I already have printers for other things. But I don't want to do something that ends me up in jail over a part as cheap as a stripped lower.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    As of this writing, unless you are prohibited by law from owning a firearm, individuals are legally able to build a firearm receiver for their own personal use. The method you use could be to mill an 80% lower, mill a sold block of metal, use an epoxy resin mold, carve from a block of wood, 3D print or any other common manufacturing method.

There are proposals to require that manufacturers of home made firearms have their receiver serialized by an FFL, but none of those legal initiatives have been passed into law at this time.

Aug 1, 2020
    Federally it is legal. In MD, the MSP require you to register stripped lowers/built lowers with a brace with a 77R.

I am not super eager to start a conversation with the MSP about registering a 3D printed firearm, but maybe you don't care for your dog so much.

Aug 1, 2020
    Federally it is legal. In MD, the MSP require you to register stripped lowers/built lowers with a brace with a 77R.

I am not super eager to start a conversation with the MSP about registering a 3D printed firearm, but maybe you don't care for your dog so much.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020

I don't plan to brace, I'd use a stock and a 16" barrel.

I'd assume it may or may not need to be a H-bar in that case. My guess would be, it's not really a AR-15 because the design would be different in several places so it wouldn't be covered under the AWB. Not really sure about that tho

Aug 1, 2020

I'd assume it may or may not need to be a H-bar in that case. My guess would be, it's not really a AR-15 because the design would be different in several places so it wouldn't be covered under the AWB. Not really sure about that tho

It is an interesting thought experiment. Saying IF it wasn't illegal according to the MSP, what would it take to be able to print a lower? It would need to be serialized and registered with a 77R regardless if you keep it a 16" barrel and a stock. When you leave your local MD gunshop with a stripped lower, the MSP doesn't know if you are going to build it as a pistol or a rifle.

I digress. I guess you would print it with a serial number, bring it to your local FFL, tell them the 77R code and give them the lower. After 7 days (if you pass the background checks), the MSP blesses your gmail with a "NOT DISAPPROVED" message so you can go back to the FFL and pick up the firearm that you made in your garage a week before.

I'd love to hear others' opinions on this as well!

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    It is an interesting thought experiment. Saying IF it wasn't illegal according to the MSP, what would it take to be able to print a lower? It would need to be serialized and registered with a 77R regardless if you keep it a 16" barrel and a stock. When you leave your local MD gunshop with a stripped lower, the MSP doesn't know if you are going to build it as a pistol or a rifle.

I digress. I guess you would print it with a serial number, bring it to your local FFL, tell them the 77R code and give them the lower. After 7 days (if you pass the background checks), the MSP blesses your gmail with a "NOT DISAPPROVED" message so you can go back to the FFL and pick up the firearm that you made in your garage a week before.

Bolded is NOT correct. The requirement for registration, serial number, etc. is only for a transfer: sale, gift,etc. where the device in question changes possession/ownership. None of that applies to anything you build yourself, at least at this moment.

As ToolAA said above, as long as you are not a prohibited person it doesn't matter where you start or how you build anything for your own use. Whatever you happen to build with any lower in your possession does still have to be in compliance with Maryland & Federal laws regarding caliber & barrel profile, length, etc. You could even build it into a pistol if you want, just don't put a stock on it with a barrel less than 16" and everything will be OK.

Regarding

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I asked a local dealer about the legality of printing a lower in MD and he said it was illegal. If I google it, google says it's illegal.

Gun dealers are often misinformed or just mistaken, and according to Google guns are icky and of course anything having to do with them is illegal, or at least they wish they all were.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

There is no requirement to serialize or register a lower that you make for your own use in MD. You are confusing building an 80 or less % with buying a completed stripped lower.

Aug 1, 2020
    None of that applies to anything you build yourself, at least at this moment.

As ToolAA said above, as long as you are not a prohibited person it doesn't matter where you start or how you build anything for your own use. Whatever you happen to build with any lower in your possession does still have to be in compliance with Maryland & Federal laws regarding caliber & barrel profile, length, etc. You could even build it into a pistol if you want, just don't put a stock on it with a barrel less than 16" and everything will be OK.

Very cool, thanks for clearing that up. Glad to hear manufacturing for personal use does not require all of the hoops as a transfer.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

If it is NOT 100% parts compatible, then it is not an AR platform or clone and does NOT require a heavy barrel.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It is an interesting thought experiment. Saying IF it wasn't illegal according to the MSP, what would it take to be able to print a lower? It would need to be serialized and registered with a 77R regardless if you keep it a 16" barrel and a stock.

Umm, NO.....anything built at home for personal use does NOT need to be registered on a 77R.

When you leave your local MD gunshop with a stripped lower, the MSP doesn't know if you are going to build it as a pistol or a rifle.

He is talking about building one with a 3D printer, not buying one, two completely different subjects.

Not sure where you got the idea for the above, but it completely wrong. No need to serialize anything you build, per ATF, and no requirement in state statute. And even if you decided to, there is absolutely no requirement to take it to an FFL and provide the serial number and do a 77R. Build it, take it to the range and enjoy it, if it's a handgun feel free to carry for personal protection if you have a W&C permit, all without any issues.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Very cool, thanks for clearing that up. Glad to hear manufacturing for personal use does not require all of the hoops as a transfer.

It's all clearly spelled out in federal law, with absolutely no Maryland state restrictions except for those prohibited from owning a firearms.

Racinready300ex-2

Apr 10, 2020
    If it is NOT 100% parts compatible, then it is not an AR platform or clone and does NOT require a heavy barrel.

The design I'm thinking about using still uses AR trigger, pins, springs etc. But the lower has more screws holding things together, and is shaped different with some reinforcement in area's to improve strength that aluminum doesn't need. It also will have bushings imbedded into the plastic for the trigger pins to pass through.

I will leave out that little pin that holds the buffer in place. If I fill that hole in, then it's not 100% parts compatible. And removing that void should strengthen up that area a little bit too.

Aug 1, 2020
    Umm, NO.....anything built at home for personal use does NOT need to be registered on a 77R.

He is talking about building one with a 3D printer, not buying one, two completely different subjects.

Not sure where you got the idea for the above, but it completely wrong. No need to serialize anything you build, per ATF, and no requirement in state statute. And even if you decided to, there is absolutely no requirement to take it to an FFL and provide the serial number and do a 77R. Build it, take it to the range and enjoy it, if it's a handgun feel free to carry for personal protection if you have a W&C permit, all without any issues.

This is great info, as another user pointed out the correction. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom