• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    First off: I will admit, I haven't looked for ammo in years, because of having a healthy supply available.

After winning a hunting lottery, I thought I would pick up some local ammo to replenish what I would be using out of the stash. OMG, every ammo shelf is practically bare. Not even the regular hunting rifle caliber ammo is available.

What happened? Did the world stop living in 2020?

A lot of Bow hunting licenses are going to be sold this year...

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    I am truly amazed that you missed all the news stories and the posts here on MDS in the past year about the ammo shortages, insane high prices, etc...

Some good news is that the prices are coming down, but the supply chain may take another 6 months to catch up.

Last edited:

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    First off: I will admit, I haven't looked for ammo in years, because of having a healthy supply available.

After winning a hunting lottery, I thought I would pick up some local ammo to replenish what I would be using out of the stash. OMG, every ammo shelf is practically bare. Not even the regular hunting rifle caliber ammo is available.

What happened? Did the world stop living in 2020?

A lot of Bow hunting licenses are going to be sold this year...

there is ammo available, just at a very high price compared to 2019, lots of panic buying, millions of first time gun owners, "supply chain issues" and name about 10 other things, ammo is starting to become available again and prices are dropping but depending on caliber still two to five times the cost before everything went crazy

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I am truly amazed that you missed all the news stories and the posts here on MDS in the past year about the ammo shortages, insane high prices, etc...

Some good is that the prices are coming down, but the supply chain may take another 6 months to catch up.

Prices ARE starting to come down :thumbsup:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Some good is that the prices are coming down, but the supply chain may take another 6 months to catch up.

To be honest, I never paid attention to the ammo.

I read the posts, but I never witnessed it first hand. I was thinking it was like the Obama rush, where there was a little to be found here and there. Not to mention, I have not been shopping for ammo in ages.

The ammo caliber I am looking for, is because I only have a hundred rounds or so on hand, since it's a hunting caliber I rarely use. And I am going to use quite a bit, in the upcoming months for my bucket list hunt.

Having a stash is just for this scenario, but replenishing it is going to be a challenge.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Atlantic Guns in Rockville has a healthy supply of rifle ammo.

I'm sure you can post what you need on here and make a trade with someone as well.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I'm continuing, even today, getting emails from online sites about having lots of ammo and receiving new shipments. I don't even look locally

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As would be rational and logical , as ammo mfg struggling to catch up with demand , they will concentrate on the most popular calibers and loads , that will turn over the fastest . Alas , this is mainly handgun calibers plus .223 and .308 primarily in fmj .

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As would be rational and logical , as ammo mfg struggling to catch up with demand , they will concentrate on the most popular calibers and loads , that will turn over the fastest . Alas , this is mainly handgun calibers plus .223 and .308 primarily in fmj .

That is what I was expecting with hunting seasons coming right around the corner, with that being the second biggest selling time besides military contracts.

The most common hunting rifle calibers, 308, 30-06, 270 Win, 30-30 Win, and maybe 45-70.

I would not expect to see 35 Remington, or 30-40 Krag while the manufacturers are playing catch up.

If the manufacturers do not, are a lot of arrows are going to get slung this fall.

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    Isn't it amazing how firearms and ammo prices always go bat$#!t every time a bat$#!t crazy leftist gets in power? Every time!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    It would help if the OP told us what caliber(s) they are looking for.

I was looking for 270 Win and 45-70. I have plenty on hand, currently.

I was looking to replenish what I will be using in the near future. I was stunned upon seeing the bare shelves at all the stores.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This year is the rainy day that you had that ammo set aside for .

You got that right.

I almost had to call an ambulance when I went into Dicks Sporting Goods at lunchtime, because a coworker stated they had rifle ammo.

Low and behold DSG had 5 boxes of 45-70 ammo. At $50 dollars a box.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw that price.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But they had it . If you had zero ammo for your .45-70 , you would be glad to pay $50 for one box .

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Plenty of rifle ammo in WV. Prices up from few years ago but plenty to be had. Local shop has cases of 5.56 and x39. Somewhere around 50cents round. 9mm just dropped to 40cents a round. Plenty of hunting calibers but most is Barnes or Sierra so pretty spendy. Lots of the less common stuff too.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I keep my rifle ammo in the basement. (Except of course for the loaded Magpuls next to the 6920.)

Doesn't everyone?

:tinfoil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom