• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I've bought a crappy Colt WWII Commemorative European Theater 1911 that appeared to be unshot from Gym Ratz sans case and dummy bullets a few years ago and just got around to shooting it recently.

It's my only 1911 so I installed a Nighthawk drop in trigger in and now holy guacamole the trigger pull is very smooth, light and crisp. Also installed a Wilson drop in beaver tail (took some minor fitting but nothing ridiculous) and Pearce rubber finger groove insert then did some laser dry fire last night. It now feels great in the hand and I could actually hit what I was aiming at sometimes.

Next up is to improve the sights, replace the grips and getting it refinished because it has some pitting and then continuing to shoot it

Before and how it sits now. .
    8e104d24cd28ff794f5d4a7424cb63f6.jpg
    b7c1647de8348a01d15cb2be77ca38f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Is this thread a joke?

I think this is the first time I have heard the words "Colt Commerative 1911” and "crappy" in the same sentence.

I'm not gonna say that, with it's hand engraving and limited run, it was worth a mint....but it's worth so much less now with a bunch of go-fast parts on it.

Oh well, your money, your gun. I do kinda wonder about your pistol abilities when you need aftermarket triggers safeties and sights to hit what you're aiming at most of the time with a 1911. As I have found the factory original trigger and ergonomics on old Colt 1911s to still be better than modern plastic wunder-9s

Probably gonna see pics of this ceracoted FDE with night sights soon, and that's a little sad. Make sure to have the ejection port lowered and flared as well, I hear all the chairborne rangers are doing it.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Is this thread a joke?

I think this is the first time I have heard the words "Colt Commerative 1911” and "crappy" in the same sentence.

I'm not gonna say that, with it's hand engraving and limited run, it was worth a mint....but it's worth so much less now with a bunch of go-fast parts on it.

Oh well, your money, your gun. I do kinda wonder about your pistol abilities when you need aftermarket triggers safeties and sights to hit what you're aiming at most of the time with a 1911. As I have found the factory original trigger and ergonomics on old Colt 1911s to still be better than modern plastic wunder-9s

Probably gonna see pics of this ceracoted FDE with night sights soon, and that's a little sad. Make sure to have the ejection port lowered and flared as well, I hear all the chairborne rangers are doing it.

Not a joke Boats, by crappy I mean the gun had major pitting plus internal corrosion consistent with water damage and was no longer of a collector value as the original owner left it to rot so the set was split up. It will live out its days like a real gun that will be shot.

You're right about it being my gun/money and I don't know you from Adam so your opinion about my choices and pistol abilities doesn't mean anything to me but thanks for chiming in.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Is this thread a joke?

Bro he posted pics, the gun clearly has finish issues and isn’t a collector piece anymore!

Just to spite boats, Joe i wanna see flames airbrushed across the slide and custom grips that have smoked rib bones lacquered into the grips

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I’m torn. My knee jerk was [a far less condescending version] of boats comment. But as I think on it, while I might have tried a restoration (assuming it were even possible, the pictures make the finish seem pretty rough), I am 100% onboard with it’s your tool and no one has any right to shite on your choices. More to the point, it is a tool to be used and making it more likely to be used and/or more useful are always good choices.

The drop in beaver tail is hella upgrade for function - but if your grip is anything like mine you won’t make it more than a few mags before your hand gets chewed up. I put one on a build a few years back and quickly bought the jig and swapped it out. Heck, you’re welcome to borrow the jig if your grip gets as “irritated” as mine did.

I’ve been intrigued by those drop in trigger packs, but I could never bring myself to buy one because it just felt wrong (especially without a reference as to their quality). Maybe I’ll take another look for my next build...

ETA - did you swap out the MSH too?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Bro he posted pics, the gun clearly has finish issues and isn’t a collector piece anymore!

Just to spite boats, Joe i wanna see flames airbrushed across the slide and custom grips that have smoked rib bones lacquered into the grips

Mmmm, ribs.
    Joe I say do whatever you want to it, after all it's your gun. Based on the condition it's not collectible so modify it, polish it, whatever you like, and enjoy the heck out of it.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I’m torn. My knee jerk was [a far less condescending version] of boats comment. But as I think on it, while I might have tried a restoration (assuming it were even possible, the pictures make the finish seem pretty rough), I am 100% onboard with it’s your tool and no one has any right to shite on your choices. More to the point, it is a tool to be used and making it more likely to be used and/or more useful are always good choices.

The drop in beaver tail is hella upgrade for function - but if your grip is anything like mine you won’t make it more than a few mags before your hand gets chewed up. I put one on a build a few years back and quickly bought the jig and swapped it out. Heck, you’re welcome to borrow the jig if your grip gets as “irritated” as mine did.

I’ve been intrigued by those drop in trigger packs, but I could never bring myself to buy one because it just felt wrong (especially without a reference as to their quality). Maybe I’ll take another look for my next build...

ETA - did you swap out the MSH too?
    I did swap out the msh for a flat one. I swapped in the the beavertail because mil spec 1911 grip safety + bigjoe's hand = hammer bite.

I thought about making it a fancy BBQ gun that's also a shooter. My version of a salvage titled Boss 302 Mustang with an LS swap. Collector value was out the window and I was able to grab a Colt for $500 so why not make it fun.

The side I posted was the good side. Here's a look at the other side...
    e91d5fd4cc95eacbd424bac047a1c4a1.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    General Observation #1 - Value wise , not all Commeratives are created equal . Some are truely rare & $$$ , some were overproduced , on otherwise standard configuration , other than modest embellishment .

Obviously if the embellishments and commeration have personal meaning for you , it will have value to you, but not necessarily on the open market . And they rapidly loose value if they are other than 100% condition .

Particularly Winchester M94 Commeratives in desireable non standard configuration , or unusual calibers such as .32-40 or .38-55 are often used as shooters .

Observations #2 - From personal experience , GI hammers and GI tangs will bite large meaty hands . A drop in grip safety will stop that , but leave the base gun unmodified to put back in the original if desired .

I haven't handled Joe's gun , so I can't comment on the stock trigger, but drop in 1911 fire controls are a thing . Can't comment on Nighthawk , but Cylinder & Slide pioneered the concept for the mainstream , and are the yardstick .

Authentic GI sights are tiny , options are vast . To keep the retro vibe if desired , there are ones that are " GI - ish , but just enough taller to be actually usable " .

It's Joe's gun to refinish or not as he sees fit .

* For Me * , my first 1911 had a " veteran " old school nickle finish , so I have an affinity for them . Modern EPA regs make old school nickle a rare thing , and $$ from the few places that still offer it , so I'd give more leeway in accepting marginal finish condition in a using gun . The Good side looks fine to me , the Bad side I'd have to see in person and cogitate for a while .

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …The side I posted was the good side. Here's a look at the other side...

:lol: Eerily similar words spoken to me by a h.s. bud trying to find a prom date, for his sister!

And, if nothing else, this thread very quickly confirmed an almost immediately addition to my “Ignore List” - sometime back - as a sound move! :lol2:

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I did swap out the msh for a flat one. I swapped in the the beavertail because mil spec 1911 grip safety + bigjoe's hand = hammer bite.

I thought about making it a fancy BBQ gun that's also a shooter. My version of a salvage titled Boss 302 Mustang with an LS swap. Collector value was out the window and I was able to grab a Colt for $500 so why not make it fun.

Yep, I gotta agree that finish is probably beyond repair for restoration purposes. Good decision! I wholeheartedly agree with the GI beaver tail, I can’t use them.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I can understand bigjoe’s perspective. Looking close, that was not a well finished pistol, and I don't mean from custom grade standards. The blends on the back of the pistol knock any value of that pistol down to fancy shooter status.

Enjoy.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

I retract the condescending comments and apologize. The initial photos looked like the gun only had a couple small blemishes.

After seeing the putting on the other side, clearly it is water damaged, and parts should be inspected and replaced as needed to ensure function and safety. While I am sure we would have different views on what and how, I appreciate that an old, unloved Colt is finally getting the love it deserves

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I retract the condescending comments and apologize. The initial photos looked like the gun only had a couple small blemishes.

After seeing the putting on the other side, clearly it is water damaged, and parts should be inspected and replaced as needed to ensure function and safety. While I am sure we would have different views on what and how, I appreciate that an old, unloved Colt is finally getting the love it deserves
    I appreciate that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom