• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireguy410

Mar 15, 2019
    I recently purchased a sporterized K98 in an attempt to bring it back to life. Replaced the stock. Only thing left to do is put on a rear sight (didn't have one when I bought it. I'm having a lot of difficulty removing the front sight to slide on the rear. I've tried heating it up with no success. Anyone have any recommendations?

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Most rear sights will fit over complete front sight with blade. The main front base of the sight and also rear are soldered in place. At most you tap the front sight blade sideways out of the base where it is wedged like a dove tail. Then the rear sight assy. has to go over and past it for sure. I have done a few and know Mauser rifles good.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Front sight base Mauser rifles should also have a small screw directly under the sight as an additional means of securement.
    As noted above, both front and rear are soldered in place.
    Usually the front is easier to manage than the rear for removal with a basic propane/mapp torch but the additional area of the rear often needs a larger source of heat to melt the solder.
    (play two torches on either side of the base).
    Clamping the barrel in a vise with hard jaws will bleed off enough heat to allow it to bleed into the vice other than the front ring.
    Depending on type of solder used initially, sometimes high heat concentration is necessary.
    Sometimes they are near impossible to remove without a lot of heat and its better to split the bottom of the base if you your not going to reuse it.
    Then you can scrape the solder off+polish with sand cloth before refinishing.
    Tin and use hi force 44 to reattach.
    Now that I think about it, some but not all rear bases may have an additional screw in them as well for securement.
    Mix up some lampblack and a pasty oil mixture to coat the bore to protect it from scaling when heating.

fireguy410

Mar 15, 2019
    Removed the front sight blade and the set screw under it still with no luck. I'm a little weary of accidentally applying too much heat with a torch. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom