• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Single shot Winchester bolt gun; don't remember the model and it ended up disappearing when I came back home from the Army.

[EDIT] Not the first 22 I bought; this was given to me by another family member when I was 13 or so I think.

Last edited:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    My first .22 was a marlin model 60. I was 11 years old. My grandfather planted extra sweet corn on his farm for me and my brother to sell along the road, at the end of his lane. I still have it, and shoot it occasionally. Our parents made me and my brother save most of the money, and put it in the bank. we actually put our money together to buy it. Dad took us to Service merchandise, I think it cost around $75, and he did the paperwork. My brother and I would both put money together to buy guns, until we moved out of our parents house. When we left, I got the model 60, and he got a 270 we purchased together.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    My first was a Ruger 10/22 that I bought when I was 20 or so. My father never bought me a 22 and he was a big gun guy. Kinda strange.

I didn’t really care for the Ruger I bought as someone else had customized it and I didn’t want to put it back to factory. My first that I bought and loved was my Savage Mark ii. Still have it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My parents still live in Twinbrook on Ardennes near there. When I was in HS at Rockville High, I used to get stuff from there, WC Bell and Evans jewelers. I did not know Best Products sold 10/22s. Neat...

I grew up in Flower Valley and went to Rockville HS. Still manage to get to Twinbrook Deli every once in a while for a cold cut sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    (Western Auto) Revelation bolt action my uncle gave me as a Christmas present when I was a kid. My first real gun. That was about 1971. Still have it.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    First shooting with Dad’s 10/22. First purchased was Remington 522 Viper. Simmons made a rimfire scope specifically for it called the Viper. Shot Remington Viper bullets mostly too. Remington only made this gun a couple years, then moved on to the 597. No aftermarket parts or accessories, no parts support. Recently found some extra mags for it, very pricey and they’re now plastic where the originals were steel (robust steel at that). Always been a good shooter, PITA to takedown and clean though. Entire gun is plastic (including most of the receiver) except for the bolt and barrel. Never really caught on. Still have mine, safe queen until my next “rimfire Saturday” when I take them all out for a spin.

Last edited:

jmt476

Jan 16, 2013
    Mossberg 702 plinkster. 10 round removable mag, synthetic black furniture...sweet little gun. Still have it to this day.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Best guess is 1989, location was at the one on Parklawn Drive in Rockville.
    Still have it and haven’t done anything to it. Was actually thinking of selling it since I haven’t shot it in forever. I have a 50th Anniversary model and a Ruger American Rimfire that I shoot normally.

My parents still live in Twinbrook on Ardennes near there. When I was in HS at Rockville High, I used to get stuff from there, WC Bell and Evans jewelers. I did not know Best Products sold 10/22s. Neat...

My brother Summitcnty here on MDS worked there in high school. Both of us went to RHS too.

Window shopping in Bests gun section made my day. My dream gun at the time was the Browning Auto 5, it was brand new for $500 (IIRC)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    My brother Summitcnty here on MDS worked there in high school. Both of us went to RHS too.

Window shopping in Bests gun section made my day. My dream gun at the time was the Browning Auto 5, it was brand new for $500 (IIRC)

I remember looking through a gun catalog there (think it was like a gun encyclopedia) that had every manufacturer and model listed in it at the time. I lusted after a S&W 586 with a 6” barrel. Never got one but I do have a 686+ with a 5” barrel.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    First gun I ever shot was my dad's Marlin 80DL bolt action. I first shot it when I was four with some assistance from my father, and I was hooked from there out. I still have it and still shoot it. That rifle has killed a lot of rabbits, squirrels, and groundhogs... probably more than all my other guns put together. Lots of good memories. Still think of my dad every time that I pick it up.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My first firearm was a 22 rimfire, Glenfield Model 20. My son's first rimfire (and first firearm) was a Ruger Old Model Bearcat complete with gun belt and holster. His 5 shot six shooter as we called it. And he knew how to safely load it and shoot it. Then came the Crickett rifle.

fred55

Senior
    Aug 24, 2016
    Spotsylvania Co. VA
    I remember looking through a gun catalog there (think it was like a gun encyclopedia) that had every manufacturer and model listed in it at the time. I lusted after a S&W 586 with a 6” barrel. Never got one but I do have a 686+ with a 5” barrel.

You were probably looking at a “Shooters Bible” a great publication. fred55

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Never had much interest in .22 until I bought a Ruger Mk III 6-7/8" bull barrel. I put a red dot on it. That thing is bad-ass. I can land 80% of my shots on a 12" gong from 100 yards, offhand.

It's the last pistol my dad ever shot, so I'm never parting with it.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Mossberg 44B

It was my fathers and I borrowed it to take to Boy Scout Camp.

At the end of the week (my 13th B-Day) I came home with the rifle and shotgun merit badge.

He told me to keep the rifle, I'd earned it.

I still have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom