• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Fill out one of those triplicate no-trespass notices prior to the meeting. If she decides to be unreasonable, serve her with the notice and mention that you have game cameras all over the property.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Since the barn is "other building" you could get into trouble if you are within 150 yards of that barn AND there are human occupants in the barn at the time you shoot.

From Fab's post #24 yesterday when he posted the setback regs.
    This is where the Lady from the UK may have you by the short hairs if things get ugly.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    You can be a millimeter from the next door neighbor's property and still shoot a deer on your property as long as you are not within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling that you do not have written permission to shoot by.

This. There is no set-back regulation for property lines. You can be right up against the property line if you want.

I think the best solution (would have been) to be polite, but firm in your position. Let her know the laws, and that you are within them, and will continue to hunt with respect for her concerns.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The OP received an EMAIL not a snail mail letter. I would be interested to know how they got the email address and I would immediately put their email into my spam folder, and not reply to it. Let them LEGALLY notify me via registered mail of an issue they have. Hell, their kid could’ve sent it.....no signature was there?

The OP already said that the community itself has an e-mail list. Not sure if I would want to live in such a "community". If somebody has a problem with something I am doing, I would rather discuss it in person than over an e-mail. My neighbors next to me came over to talk about some stuff, and we worked it out without letters, lawyers, etc.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    The OP already said that the community itself has an e-mail list. Not sure if I would want to live in such a "community". If somebody has a problem with something I am doing, I would rather discuss it in person than over an e-mail. My neighbors next to me came over to talk about some stuff, and we worked it out without letters, lawyers, etc.

Trade off is no by-laws, association is voluntary. We have a party every year and properties are big enough to hunt. Especially when your non horse-tard neighbors give you permission. This nut doesnt have a leg to stand on. Barn is almost 1,000 yards away. House is further. Doubling up on blue paint and no trespassing signs on Sunday when i should be able to hunt.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    This. There is no set-back regulation for property lines. You can be right up against the property line if you want.

I think the best solution (would have been) to be polite, but firm in your position. Let her know the laws, and that you are within them, and will continue to hunt with respect for her concerns.

The right to polite ended with the immediate threat of litigation as she committed a misdemeanor while trying to dictate how I use my private property.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    This nut doesnt have a leg to stand on. Barn is almost 1,000 yards away. House is further. Doubling up on blue paint and no trespassing signs on Sunday when i should be able to hunt.

If her buildings are that far off the line you are good to go then. If it were me I'd hunt on Sunday from that stand, and shoot at something just to hear her complain. I hope you informed her she was trespassing on clearly marked property.
    I can't stand it when people try to tell me I can't do something on my property because they don't like it around their property.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    If her buildings are that far off the line you are good to go then. If it were me I'd hunt on Sunday from that stand, and shoot at something just to hear her complain. I hope you informed her she was trespassing on clearly marked property.
    I can't stand it when people try to tell me I can't do something on my property because they don't like it around their property.

Baltimore County so no go.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Technically, there was one lawyer involved....
    :innocent0

lol - was wondering who was going to catch that. The same neighbors went at it with the guy that lives across the street from them. They and a couple other neighbors actually hired an attorney. Granted, what he was doing was a lot worse than what I was doing. They even got the police involved and he ended up doing 30 days for his actions. Long story short, my neighbor knew I am an attorney and tried to enlist my help. Made it clear that I was Switzerland when it came to getting involved with neighbor disputes, but that I sure as hell was not France when it came to me being directly involved. We chatted a little about the subject and I made sure they understood my position on individual property rights and the reason I chose a community without an HOA and without restrictive covenants. With that said, it is very hard to find things nowadays without restrictive covenants, but there are some still out there and there are some covenants that aren't all that restrictive anyway.

I have also seen where some places are kept like a dump. I wouldn't want that to be my neighbor unless I was on a hundred acres.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Trade off is no by-laws, association is voluntary. We have a party every year and properties are big enough to hunt. Especially when your non horse-tard neighbors give you permission. This nut doesnt have a leg to stand on. Barn is almost 1,000 yards away. House is further. Doubling up on blue paint and no trespassing signs on Sunday when i should be able to hunt.

If there is an association, you had better look to see if there are any restrictive covenants. Associations are usually formed through restrictive covenants, and the restrictive covenants are not usually voluntary.

Just remember that in these types of wars, the one with the cool head and the deepest pockets usually wins. For instance, if she was my client and she was hell bent on taking it to you, I would instruct her to build a barn right at the corner of her property that is adjacent to your property. Then, on every Saturday during hunting season, I would instruct her to run a mower or tractor right in the corner of her property around that barn and to continually go in and out of it. Something noisy as hell. Of course, that might push the deer to you, or it might not.

Most of the time, honey works better than vinegar, but the cat is out of the bag on this one, so vinegar it will probably be. Just be prepared. Change favors a prepared mind. He who fails to prepare, prepares to fail.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    She'll need to keep this up every Saturday during hunting season for as long as she lives there. Otherwise, "Boom! Looks like meat's back on the menu boys."

Hunters are nothing if not patient.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    OP......Here is a similar situation. Bear with me for a minute here.
    I used to volunteer at a horse farm in Crownsville that has at least a dozen horses at any given time. Believe me when I tell you some of these horses can freak out over almost nothing. I was volunteering with the facilities manager when I was there (my wife still volunteers there). There were a few horses that I couldn't get near with a tractor and a few that didnt flinch when I did. They all have different personalities.
    This place is 25 acres and is used by a not for profit that does riding for handicapped kids and adults as well as a wounded worrier program. The property was actually donated to the not for profit by the gentleman that owns the property next to it. This person is well known in the community and does a lot for the non profit. Every early goose season this guy (and I guess his friends) hunt on his property. They shoot over a pond that is within 200 yards of the barns.
    This person that owns the property next door always gives the farm notice when they are planning a hunt. Of course its always early morning so the horses stay in the barns when this is going on. It's only a couple days a year from what I remember.
    There is alot more to the story but I'm not going any farther with it because it's a delicate situation.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    OP......Here is a similar situation. Bear with me for a minute here.
    I used to volunteer at a horse farm in Crownsville that has at least a dozen horses at any given time. Believe me when I tell you some of these horses can freak out over almost nothing. I was volunteering with the facilities manager when I was there (my wife still volunteers there). There were a few horses that I couldn't get near with a tractor and a few that didnt flinch when I did. They all have different personalities.
    This place is 25 acres and is used by a not for profit that does riding for handicapped kids and adults as well as a wounded worrier program. The property was actually donated to the not for profit by the gentleman that owns the property next to it. This person is well known in the community and does a lot for the non profit. Every early goose season this guy (and I guess his friends) hunt on his property. They shoot over a pond that is within 200 yards of the barns.
    This person that owns the property next door always gives the farm notice when they are planning a hunt. Of course its always early morning so the horses stay in the barns when this is going on. It's only a couple days a year from what I remember.
    There is alot more to the story but I'm not going any farther with it because it's a delicate situation.

If I’m reading between the lines correctly, it sounds as if the people who were GIFTED the property are mad at the people who GIFTED the property.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Set up several shooting ranges 151 yards from any building on her property and shoot away everyday.

We had a fella buy 3 acres up from is that connected to our property. He threatened to sue us, called the cops when we shot, called the don’t and reported us as trespassing and shooting deer on his property and he even took a hanging deerstand down and threw it in the run, a good 200 yards from his property line because he “ thought his property went to our run”.

The cops and don’t said we were fine and explained to him that we were more than legal and told him the next time he touched anything on our side of the line he would be arrested for trespassing and they explained game laws and set backs to him but he kept calling until the cops told him to quit it or he would be charged with calling in false reports since he was told several times we were in the right

That prick cost me 10,000 rounds of ammo and many miles of walking driving deer right next to his line just to piss him off, finally he quit calling

It’s hard dealing with assholes who think they own the world, but being nice, IMO, isn’t the way to deal with it

But that’s just me

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Wow, a lot of "triggered" responses, I stopped after page 3 fwiw. Reminds me of a news article stating the shooter used a FA shotgun with a deadly sniper scope. Hope y'alls day gets better, back to arfcom & Enos for me.

AACO_Salami

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 12, 2019
    Love it when people trespass to try and remind you that, in their ill-informed interpretation of statute, you're breaking the law.

AACO_Salami

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 12, 2019
    Wow, a lot of "triggered" responses, I stopped after page 3 fwiw. Reminds me of a news article stating the shooter used a FA shotgun with a deadly sniper scope. Hope y'alls day gets better, back to arfcom & Enos for me.

Stopped after page 3.... yet here you are

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I haven't dealt with hunting and horse issues but I have dealt with bat-shite crazy neighbors.

What I would do is reply to the email so that it's documented you responded. Explain to the neighbor your side of the story and politely tell them to mind their own business.

I've found that horse people are generally crazy, rich and well connected. She could make a few phone calls to make things difficult for you.

I don't know who the LEO agency would be for this situation (DNR? sheriff?) but if you have a good relationship with them then give them a heads up on this situation. Maybe call them first and let them know you'd like to CC them on this email. That would go a long way in court if the d-bag neighbor tries anything legal.

I'm not a lawyer so maybe i'm talking out of my ass here but i've read a lot. Say you happen to shoot the one day a year and their high-strung thoroughbred goes crazy and brakes through the fence. You might be liable for this if you didn't respond or take other defensive measures (like documented contacting the LEO agency). One thing I've found with dealing with crazy neighbors is to document everything as much as possible. Any interaction with this person needs to be on audio or video. If not, then at least write down in your own words what happened with date and time stamp, preferably with names of witnesses. You might want to get a little body worn camera that has audio and wear it anytime your out there.

I would not move the stands or blinds unless someone from LEO says to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom