• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    I'll be moving to the Elkton/Newark area soon. I notice there are 2 VA hospitals in driving distance.
    Wilmington and Coatesville,Pa.
    Anyone with any experience at them? Which is better for major medical problems?
    Patient care? Cleanliness? Admin.?

Thanks!

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This is the one my dad uses. Closest to the VA nursing home in Bensalem he’s in. No complaints from him.

Attachments

• EDB1E4FB-650C-4E68-8282-7AC0C27FD0F3.jpg
      EDB1E4FB-650C-4E68-8282-7AC0C27FD0F3.jpg
      96.8 KB · Views: 393

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    VA rates their facilities on a complexity model 1A through 3; a 1A facility being the most and level 3 being least; there are in total of 5 levels, 1A, 1B, 1C, 2, and 3.

Wilmington VA Medical Center is complexity rated as a 2; ranks overall with a score of 81 which is in VA's top 10% for that complexity rating (see link provided for more info).

Coatesville VA Medical Center is a complexity level 3 facility (i.e., slightly less capable than Wilmington) and scores overall with a 100 which of course is in VA's top 10% for that complexity level.

VA Access to Care Scoring which shows the facility as compare other non-VA facilities in that area:
    https://www.accesstocare.va.gov/Healthcare/HospitalCompareData?s=PA&f=562&m=CARE

Good luck.

VA Complexity Model Explained PDF Attached.

Attachments

• 1220(1)_D_2019-05-13 (1).pdf
      666.6 KB · Views: 940

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    Thank you, Mightydog. Unfortunately it will be too far away.
    While I can drive, I don't feel comfortable on the interstate anymore. Wilmington is a straight 12 mile shot on Kirkwood Hwy. from Newark, De., Coatesville, PA. is 24 miles and easy 2 lane driving all the way so I can manage if my daughter can't arrange to take me.
    I used to live across the street from where I'll be moving so I do know the area very well.

As to no highways, I have 2 cars, neither of which has seen 40 mph in about 3 years! :D
    My 2000 Continental only has 139,xxx miles on it. Unfortunately, I'll have to sell both my vehicles here and buy something when I get to Md.

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_094130.jpg
      IMG_20190330_094130.jpg
      140.9 KB · Views: 364

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I see from the link Baltimore VA is hot garbage. Very interesting place to people watch. Overall I’ve been happy with the service there. Great info.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Let’s just say that I’ve been to the Elsmere Delaware facility on the medical side.

I would not take a dog there for treatment, let alone a loved one.

They completely misdiagnosed an extreme case of colon cancer for 2 months.

The real hospital got it diagnosed on 6 hours.

My advice, based on experience there, is that they should be your choice if you don’t have any other alternatives.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    There is also the VA Hospital at Perry Point in Cecil County.
    https://www.va.gov/find-locations/facility/vha_512A5

Not a hospital, a clinic with no inpatient care except an inpatient drug and alcohol facility. I go there for a few things but use Kirk Army Health Clinic on APG or Medicare and Tricare for 99%. Perryville sends emergencies to either Harford Memorial in HdG or Upper Chesapeake in Bel Air. For most stuff they send you to Baltimore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom