• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Where is this location may I ask?

D

That would be the Savage River Range in Grantsville. You'll find some Hooligans there usually every Sunday morning around 0800.

We shoot a variety of modern guns as well as BP including muzzle loaders, cap and ball pistols and BPCR's. While I wouldn't recommend an 1847 Walker as your entry level cap and ball pistol Uberti makes a fine replica. Here's a thread from a couple of weeks ago when I had my Walker out to play:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?250500&p=6100545#post6100545

:)

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    That would be the Savage River Range in Grantsville. You'll find some Hooligans there usually every Sunday morning around 0800.

We shoot a variety of modern guns as well as BP including muzzle loaders, cap and ball pistols and BPCR's. While I wouldn't recommend an 1847 Walker as your entry level cap and ball pistol Uberti makes a fine replica. Here's a thread from a couple of weeks ago when I had my Walker out to play:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?250500&p=6100545#post6100545

:)

That would be fun to get out to but it's a bit far from me (close to 3 hours each way). I'll start with my Izaak Walton chapter.

That does look like some quality Hooliganism, though!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    That would be fun to get out to but it's a bit far from me (close to 3 hours each way). I'll start with my Izaak Walton chapter.

That does look like some quality Hooliganism, though!

Yep a six hour round trip is long. Better to plan a weekend visit to Deep Creek and catch up with the Hooligans before heading back to the flatlands. Either way you have an open invitation to join us.

In the meantime you might check out this thread. John from MD just listed a couple of nice BP revolvers at a good price in the classifieds. If I wasn't already set to finish a deal on something else with John I'd be scheming on one of them...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=250915

:innocent0

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Yep a six hour round trip is long. Better to plan a weekend visit to Deep Creek and catch up with the Hooligans before heading back to the flatlands. Either way you have an open invitation to join us.

In the meantime you might check out this thread. John from MD just listed a couple of nice BP revolvers at a good price in the classifieds. If I wasn't already set to finish a deal on something else with John I'd be scheming on one of them...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=250915

:innocent0

Heh. Bad influence but I don’t mind!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Dixie Gun Works is my go to place to buy BP stuff. In fact today I just got a new Uberti 2nd Dragoon.
    They sell flintlock and caplock firearms and suplies. They ship UPS right to your door.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In recent years Pietta quality has improved , and most Uberti Colt replicas have improper arbor lengths .

The Remington design is most intuitive for shooters of modern revolvers . The Colt is well , Colt . It's what most people visualize as Civil War or Old West era guns . ( The Actual CW procurement numbers were closer than most realize , and Remington really was the more advanced , cutting edge gun in the 1868-72 era . So if historical authenticity is a factor , Remington has plenty also . They just weren't in all the movies and tv shows)

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Another ROA fan here. 45 cal Hornady balls with anywhere from 20-40gr FFF. It's regulated quite well for the 20gr cowboy load, which works out to around 200 and some ft-lbs as I recall. If you want to get close to 45acp power levels, have to fill it up to 40gr. That's about the max they'll take.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Indeed the Old Army was the finest mass market C&B ever made . But you're having to compete with both shooters and Ruger Collectors for them .

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    In recent years Pietta quality has improved , and most Uberti Colt replicas have improper arbor lengths .

The Remington design is most intuitive for shooters of modern revolvers . The Colt is well , Colt . It's what most people visualize as Civil War or Old West era guns . ( The Actual CW procurement numbers were closer than most realize , and Remington really was the more advanced , cutting edge gun in the 1868-72 era . So if historical authenticity is a factor , Remington has plenty also . They just weren't in all the movies and tv shows)

And how about for loading - I know some models have a more easily removable cylinder, or is that "all 1858s but not 1860s, some 1851s" or something general like that?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ease of loading in the gun, or with removing the cylinder ?

All Remington pattern revolvers inherently have the ( relatively ) easily removed cylinder pin . All Colt pattern revolvers inherently have to drift the barrel wedge, and then remove the barrel assembly to remove the cylinder .

Shorty revolvers inherently have less leverage than full length guns .

Many current replica revolvers have smaller loading window ( the relieved/ scalloped area where in gun loading takes place around the business end of the rammer) . They will work fine with round ball , but can interfere with some or all Conicals . If you will primarily shoot RB , not a problem . It is a common modification to use dremel or files to open up the window to more or less Original size .

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Ease of loading in the gun, or with removing the cylinder ?

All Remington pattern revolvers inherently have the ( relatively ) easily removed cylinder pin . All Colt pattern revolvers inherently have to drift the barrel wedge, and then remove the barrel assembly to remove the cylinder .

Shorty revolvers inherently have less leverage than full length guns .

Many current replica revolvers have smaller loading window ( the relieved/ scalloped area where in gun loading takes place around the business end of the rammer) . They will work fine with round ball , but can interfere with some or all Conicals . If you will primarily shoot RB , not a problem . It is a common modification to use dremel or files to open up the window to more or less Original size .

Really just ease of loading, I suppose. If it's an easy design to load with cylinder mounted, no need to remove it. If it's easier to load with the cylinder removed but it's hard to take apart, that's annoying.

I think I'll just be shooting ball, especially as I get started.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    1858's, New model army, Top strap revolvers, are very easy to remove the cylinder. You drop the loading lever and pull the cylinder pin and turn the cylinder and rotate it out.

1860's, 1851's, navy, or as they say "the colts's" have the "Wedge" and you hammer the wedge loose and slide the barrel off you pull the cylinder.

I remove mine and have extra cylinders and use a cylinder loader like this on the table. 21 grains in each cylinder, drive a felt wad down and then seat the ball.
    8-trad-a1309.jpg

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I've got $2K worth of BP revolvers (3), balls, wads, loading stand, powder, flask, caps, holsters, spare parts kits, extra cylinders, etc. etc. Everything that you need for years to come. All revolvers are Pietta.
    -1858 Target, steel
    -1858 Buffalo, SS, 12" barrel
    -1851 steel
    PM if interested. I want to sell it as a lot.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I would also recommend the Uberti New Army 1858 Remington. It is easier to disassemble than the Colts and also has the sight built into the top strap, making aiming easier. The Colt design is susceptible to jams from cap debris falling down to bind up the cylinder. But this does not seem to be a problem with the New Army designs. The Colts, especially the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army and 1861 Navy are elegant, light, and just beautiful. The Dragoons and the Walker are just beasts, really heavy! I have my father's old Navy Arms 1858 and it still shoots great after all these years. And you can order online from places like Dixie Gun Works.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    These days I feel like Pietta and Uberti are comparable for manufacturing and quality. Be aware that as a rule you cannot interchange parts between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom