Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rimfire
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 4th, 2021, 11:19 AM #11

I知 sitting in my car at a job site and cannot read the entire post, but I値l get to it later.

I need to ask Protege V which emoji is the one for Jealousy.....
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2021, 02:58 PM #12
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Great review! Can't believe I had missed it yesterday because I was hoping you would review the Wildcat! Really appreciate all the detail and pictures.

I think the comparison with Ruger's "Man's Best Friend" edition (which was a screaming deal a few years ago - wish I had bought 3) is a good one because the comparison of the "upgraded" iron sights and baseline accuracy/trigger is more apples-to-apples.

Great to hear on the reliability, mag compatibility, basic accuracy, light weight, and cool features of the Wildcat. Looks like the T/CR22 is the goldilocks "baby bear" between these rifles - the Winchester takes further steps away from the 10/22 baseline while maintaining compatibility. Very interesting.

Understand all of the points on the durability of the sights/scope rail - I agree that having metal sights and protective wings seems like a good baseline. My M&P 15-22 polymer rails have survived quite a bit of abuse with a red dot and Magpul polymer sights. Hopefully it would be similarly durable should you go the dot direction and use a torque limiter.

A few questions, if you don't mind:
  • You reference using a tool to adjust the sights of each - what kind of tool was it and how precise and repeatable were the changes? It seems a lot better than hammer and punch for windage adjustment on Ruger stock 10/22 sights, but is do they move as you turn a screw or is it loosen a set screw, drift/push, watch the lines on the back of the rear sight (which is the same as the T/CR-22)? Not expecting Tech Sights type adjustments, just curious how it worked and what the tools look like.

• How did the bolt hold-open and bolt release compare? May have been less of a difference if you have an auto bolt release on your MBF 10/22, but since that is a mandatory upgrade in my book, interested in what the Wildcat comes with.

• How did the hollow stock feel on the Wildcat? Seems like a low comb height and has a downward angle at the rear would make it shoulder...funny. But maybe only looks that way. Also seems to be the same length of pull as the adult module for the Ruger modular stock - is that right? I think you reference that in the post today. Sounds like a missed opportunity to have a youth sized and weighted reliable semi-auto (which is my holy grail for instructing).
Thanks again though - really appreciate the time you put into it
Old March 4th, 2021, 03:07 PM #13

Amazing write up...thanks so much! I値l have to look at the Wildcat for my youngest.
TWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2021, 03:38 PM #14
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz_man View Post
Very well-written and informative. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
I知 sitting in my car at a job site and cannot read the entire post, but I値l get to it later.

I need to ask Protege V which emoji is the one for Jealousy.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWM View Post
Amazing write up...thanks so much! I値l have to look at the Wildcat for my youngest.
Thanks, gents. It's been months since I had range time, especially as my weekends are rarely mine. So it felt great to get out.
Old March 4th, 2021, 03:53 PM #15
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYFHO View Post
Great review! Can't believe I had missed it yesterday because I was hoping you would review the Wildcat! Really appreciate all the detail and pictures.

I think the comparison with Ruger's "Man's Best Friend" edition (which was a screaming deal a few years ago - wish I had bought 3) is a good one because the comparison of the "upgraded" iron sights and baseline accuracy/trigger is more apples-to-apples.

Great to hear on the reliability, mag compatibility, basic accuracy, light weight, and cool features of the Wildcat. Looks like the T/CR22 is the goldilocks "baby bear" between these rifles - the Winchester takes further steps away from the 10/22 baseline while maintaining compatibility. Very interesting.

Understand all of the points on the durability of the sights/scope rail - I agree that having metal sights and protective wings seems like a good baseline. My M&P 15-22 polymer rails have survived quite a bit of abuse with a red dot and Magpul polymer sights. Hopefully it would be similarly durable should you go the dot direction and use a torque limiter.

A few questions, if you don't mind:

• You reference using a tool to adjust the sights of each - what kind of tool was it and how precise and repeatable were the changes? It seems a lot better than hammer and punch for windage adjustment on Ruger stock 10/22 sights, but is do they move as you turn a screw or is it loosen a set screw, drift/push, watch the lines on the back of the rear sight (which is the same as the T/CR-22)? Not expecting Tech Sights type adjustments, just curious how it worked and what the tools look like.

• How did the bolt hold-open and bolt release compare? May have been less of a difference if you have an auto bolt release on your MBF 10/22, but since that is a mandatory upgrade in my book, interested in what the Wildcat comes with.

• How did the hollow stock feel on the Wildcat? Seems like a low comb height and has a downward angle at the rear would make it shoulder...funny. But maybe only looks that way. Also seems to be the same length of pull as the adult module for the Ruger modular stock - is that right? I think you reference that in the post today. Sounds like a missed opportunity to have a youth sized and weighted reliable semi-auto (which is my holy grail for instructing).

Thanks again though - really appreciate the time you put into it
Thanks for the feedback!

I just took some snaps.

I got it wrong on the Ruger MBF tool. It's an Allen wrench. I keep it in the range bag with a keychain piece that came with the rifle and ended up conflating the two.

The Ruger rear sight drifts on windage when loosened. I haven't played with the separate elevation screw.

The Wildcat tool is also a small hex key that's in the dropout trigger/bolt assembly.

The Wildcat rear sight has one screw that allows changes in elevation and windage when loosened. It's a bit squirrelly when loosened.

Good point about the bolt release/hold open. I did this change on the Ruger MBF. I do it on all my 10/22 rifles. The Wildcat operates the same way. There's a red tab in front of the trigger guard. It's in fact easier than a modified Ruger and works in much the same way with less resistance.

As per your last question about the stock, etc. Length of pull between the two rifles is identical. I personally didn't feel there was an issue in shouldering and getting a cheek weld to look through the "iron" sights on the Wildcat, but it would be low if mounting a scope. When I was doing the final test of the 5 Ruger mags in the Wildcat, I was standing up shooting off hand.

Old March 4th, 2021, 04:17 PM #16
Appleseed Shoot Boss

Appleseed Shoot Boss

Awesome - thanks for the extra detail.

Seems like having two screws for the Ruger makes it easier to make adjustments in one axis. The fact that you haven't had to mess with the elevation is a positive - you know it is locked down.

On the Wildcat...squirrelly is a good word.

I think the T/CR was one screw too, but would have to look (didn't have enough clearance to retain the rear sight with the scope mount and bell I have on them). VERY similar to the Wildcat sights, although it had a fiber optic front (probably with similar durability concerns, though mine have stayed put).

The allen wrench storage on the drop-out trigger assembly is a great idea. Ruger would do it too...but you would need another allen wrench to get to it

The auto-bolt is a nice plus for the stock Wildcat. And good to hear the stock was working well on the Winchester.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rimfire