• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Thx for the tip
    I did not know that when I opened it up the first time but did read about that shortly after starting to look up the model.

I made up 2 cases with just a primer loaded and verified it sets off a primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're welcome.

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    Took it to the range on an extended Lunch.
    Shot on paper at 50 yards first, then on steel at 100 yards.
    These 45-70 loads are using pistol powder under a 405gr bullet. They come out around 1200-1300fps I recall. Bullets were purchased years ago and I have yet to cast for 45-70 although I do have the mold.
    I think these bullets are a bit skinny (I did not have good notes back then and need to pull and measure) and look forward to trying again once I run out of them and use cast bullets that are a bit bigger to the bore.

10 shots with front rest from the bench at 50 yards onto paper
    43ab2b6cb8a21cb6d2b680a58f589d98.jpg

Video of one shot offhand
    If yours is anything like mine, it'll prefer a .459 or .460 bullet. Out past 150-200 yds, mine really needs a heavy bullet - 500+ grains.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If yours is anything like mine, it'll prefer a .459 or .460 bullet. Out past 150-200 yds, mine really needs a heavy bullet - 500+ grains.

Yea, I plan to size for .459 then try .460
    I got 2 sizers to expand out

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    well, .459 Hard cast (~14BH) worked out great with Unique but this is the BP section so I want to mold some up for doing a BPRC for this so I can really be a true "Sharpshooter"

I have a Lee 405 Mold (hollow base if you can call it hallow base). Should I be molding up soft pure lead or harder lead for it?

Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    well, .459 Hard cast (~14BH) worked out great with Unique but this is the BP section so I want to mold some up for doing a BPRC for this so I can really be a true "Sharpshooter"

I have a Lee 405 Mold (hollow base if you can call it hallow base). Should I be molding up soft pure lead or harder lead for it?
    I do 20:1 lead to tin for mine. I think that's likely the most common BPCR alloy, though people run 16:1 up to 30:1, depending on the length and shape of the bullet. The actual science behind it is beyond my skills, but essentially the longer/heavier the nose, there needs to be a littleore tin in the alloy to keep the nose from slumping out of concentricity.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I do 20:1 lead to tin for mine. I think that's likely the most common BPCR alloy, though people run 16:1 up to 30:1, depending on the length and shape of the bullet. The actual science behind it is beyond my skills, but essentially the longer/heavier the nose, there needs to be a littleore tin in the alloy to keep the nose from slumping out of concentricity.

That is basically what I"m using right now for the smokeless Brinell hardness of 10-12. I have some harder lead but im not tossing that in for these casts. If I can use the same for BP, that's a bonus as I won't have to mold up different casts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom