• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    When I was recently (Fall 2020) looking for a 22/45 Mk IV, I never saw a Lite model for under $500...they seemed to hover around the $525 mark.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I've had the 22/45 Mk IV Lite. Paid about $430 for it now, 2 yrs ago. I've got a MatchDot II mounted and it's a pretty accurate pistol with just about any standard velocity ammo I've fed into it. The only thing I've been disappointed with is that I cannot find any custom grips that I like. VOLQUARTSEN makes some really awesome grips for the standard model but not the Mark IV 22/45.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Mark IV 22/45 lite upper with one of the metal lowers is by far my favorite combo on the platform, but you have to piece it together. Tactical gets you close, but it’s pretty hefty when suppressed.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Who owns/shoots one and what do you think of it? I am thinking of getting one. If I can find one. Also, what did you pay for it. Ruger website says they retail for $559. Wonder if I could find one for under $500.
    The Mark IV is indeed a gem, but the price would have Bill Ruger twirling in his grave. Ruger always wanted to give consumers good prices. Now the company chases prices just as aggressively as S&W. $550 for a blued .22LR pistol is highway robbery! It's almost as expensive as its stainless .357 revolvers.

My recommendation is to find a used stainless Ruger .22LR and just learn to take is apart and reassemble it. Mark IIs are excellent pistols if you can find them. But if you can afford it, the Mark IVs are superb. In the early 1980s the Standard Autos were only $92. I was going to school and could easily afford one. If going to school now, I wouldn't be able to afford them. At the time, all I had was an RG .22lr, which was amazingly fun. I paid $69 for it and sold it for almost as much. I paid the difference and got the Ruger. And it's a fun gun.

Whichever gun you get, I think you'll like it. Shooting legend Jeff Cooper said most people ruin their .22lr autos by over-cleaning them. The burned powder in a rimfire protects the bore and internal parts, he wrote. He recommended using a toothbrush to get rid of the grit that might gum up the works of the gun, but he cautioned against over-cleaning and said a thorough cleaning should be done only once or twice a year. Still, I don't know many who take that advice. It's like flossing. Some people can't go to sleep unless their guns are clean.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Shooting legend Jeff Cooper said most people ruin their .22lr autos by over-cleaning them. The burned powder in a rimfire protects the bore and internal parts, he wrote. He recommended using a toothbrush to get rid of the grit that might gum up the works of the gun, but he cautioned against over-cleaning and said a thorough cleaning should be done only once or twice a year. Still, I don't know many who take that advice. It's like flossing. Some people can't go to sleep unless their guns are clean.

This is the first time I heard something like this? You mean 22lr guns are like the wok where you need "seasoning"?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I was at the range today with my Mark IV 22/45 lite. It jammed 5 times with CCI Velocitor HP 22 LR. Very disappointing. It didn't happen with Herter's brand 22lr.

One jammed round was bent right in the middle. 4 other rounds have frayed copper at the tip (deformed tip); too unsafe to be fired again.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I know I’m happy with my tactical version, that is when I can get it out of my wife's hands.

Attachments

• 07AB4E24-EE00-4A03-8A75-9774AB8A2B27.jpeg
      07AB4E24-EE00-4A03-8A75-9774AB8A2B27.jpeg
      84 KB · Views: 144

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I was at the range today with my Mark IV 22/45 lite. It jammed 5 times with CCI Velocitor HP 22 LR. Very disappointing. It didn't happen with Herter's brand 22lr.

One jammed round was bent right in the middle. 4 other rounds have frayed copper at the tip (deformed tip); too unsafe to be fired again.

FWIW I've never had Velociors perform well in a pistol. Every time I try they become a jam-o-matic.

Works well in bolt action rifles though. Decent groups but when my present supply is gone, I'll never buy it again

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve been looking for a nice set of target grips for my 22/45 lite. Plenty exists for the standard Mark IV but nothing for the 22/45 styles that I’ve found.

I’ve got a nice block of figured wood and I’ve been thinking about trying to make my own. First step is modeling the shape in Fusion360. I think this is sort of what I’m going for.

f59da2a737bb24a8e1129b6c05a2fb11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom