Looking for a high quality AR10 receiver set...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JG1979

Oct 1, 2020
    Hagerstown
    I’m looking to build a precision gas rifle, probably as a 6.5CM.

I need to find a DPMS low receiver set that would have a premium fit/finish.

I’ve looked into Ranier, Nemo, and a few others.

Any recommendations?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've had good luck with Aero M5, it builds easy, fits well, and has a nice mix of features and design. SLR, PWS, and a few other companies build nice sets with different designs. The Mega Maten is awesome, but Armalite pattern.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've had good luck with Aero M5, it builds easy, fits well, and has a nice mix of features and design. SLR, PWS, and a few other companies build nice sets with different designs. The Mega Maten is awesome, but Armalite pattern.

Me too. My only real knock against the M5 is it uses DPMS high for the rail and if you look at handguards, the most options are in DPMS low. There are still plenty in high, but my limited experience is if a handguard manufacturer doesn't say, they are DPMS low.

And in canvasing, it is maybe 60% low, 40% high. Most of the higher end handguard manufacturers make them in both. The low end, most are just DPMS low.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Me too. My only real knock against the M5 is it uses DPMS high for the rail and if you look at handguards, the most options are in DPMS low. There are still plenty in high, but my limited experience is if a handguard manufacturer doesn't say, they are DPMS low.

And in canvasing, it is maybe 60% low, 40% high. Most of the higher end handguard manufacturers make them in both. The low end, most are just DPMS low.

IIRC DPMS came out with gen 1 high first, and kinda "open sourced" the dimensions, so that is what most companies started to make, including Aero, and what gave us the "AR308 DPMS compatible" pattern. Gen 1 low came out next, and companies started to make handguards for them, PSA builds their rifles as low-profile, then gen 2 came out and they never really caught on with 3rd party manufacturers. There are a lot of companies that make both, as sometimes it just takes a different barrel nut or handguard mount to run either, but Aero ONLY makes high profile.

Aero makes awesome handguards for the money, I have an ATLAS R1 on my precision build and it's rock solid, but easy to pull the lock piece and slide the guard off to mess with the gas system. Midwest industries makes bboth profiles, I have an Odinworks O2, and it's a really light, has a different adapter for high/low profile, solid guard, the 2 peice nut/mount can be a PITA to line up exactly, but it's a good rail. SLR is probably the gold standard, they make both, and have a few designs that are all excellent. Fortis makes the SWITCH is high profile only, really cool rail, has a single lever to latch it on or take it off easier than most anything else to mess with the gas block.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I’m looking to build a precision gas rifle, probably as a 6.5CM.

I need to find a DPMS low receiver set that would have a premium fit/finish.

I’ve looked into Ranier, Nemo, and a few others.

Any recommendations?
    Aero Precision M5. Good uppers and lowers, DPMS pattern, and a good number of AR-15 parts will work on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom