• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Bergara had a .22lr bolt action pistol on display at shot show 2020 that I was very excited about. Unfortunately it's been a year and there's been no update. I am considering trying to build my own, but the only current production bolt action rimfire pistol I am aware of is the Keystone cricket.

I would be willing to make an SBR after ordering a custom barrel or cutting down and threading a factory barrel, but there are not many folding stocks for bolt actions out there.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this done? The T/C encore with a 6" .22lr barrel seems like the closest thing on the market, but it would be a compromise over a bolt action repeater.

Attachments

• Bergara .22lr pistol.jpg
      Bergara .22lr pistol.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 535

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Anschutz made the Exemplar pistol. There are always a couple on Gunbroker.
    You can see if you can find a folder for that action
    They were built on the 64 action so there's a good chance there's a folder out there

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Rimx from Zermatt arms. Or a vudoo. Both run 700 stocks/triggers so plenty of choices. Lots of folders available. Even the weaker folding mechanisms like mpa will be fine.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Those were the same options I was considering. Hard price tag to swallow though. I’m curious if I could get bench rest accuracy from a 5” .22lr barrel vs a 16”. I’d assume they would shoot about the same if using match pistol ammo.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I did this as a compact stock for 1 of my 1022s . it actually fits very nice. sorry for the upside down picture :-(

Attachments

• 20210102_120801.jpg
      20210102_120801.jpg
      153.6 KB · Views: 496

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I tested a high standard pistol that I managed to temporarily get an optic on against a volquartsen 16" rifle. At 50yd, the ammo made more difference than which gun I fired it out of (ransom rest for pistol). I vote rimx because I've seen too much trouble from vudoo mags at matches to roll the dice on a gun that salty. It better work 100 percent.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Keystone has an alloy chassis for the Cricket that will accept a buffer tube. Pretty sure I've seen buffer tube stock hinges. It'd still be a single shot, though.

https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/product/crickett-alloy-model-6061-chassis/

That’s actually pretty cool. Would be a very lightweight setup. Single shot wouldn’t be horrible but I wish keystone had a self cocking bolt instead of the manual pull back.

It’s a shame Savage has not made a pistol for their rascal line.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Not a bolt action, but I put this pistol with a folding brace together using the Ruger charger as a base.

Attachments

• 892865C0-D197-4889-B404-5B4DDEC4AA3B.jpg
      892865C0-D197-4889-B404-5B4DDEC4AA3B.jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 283

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Not a bolt action, but I put this pistol with a folding brace together using the Ruger charger as a base.

Though about this but I already have a AR22 pistol with 4.5 inch barrel. Very fun, but not accurate and the action noise is loud. Like you I will be using a suppressor.

A volquartsen summit receiver is tempting with all of the 10/22 barrel options out there, but the 1000+ dollars it would take to build one brings up a lot of other competitive options.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I'm pretty set on a bolt action. I already have a .22lr ar15 upper with 4.5" barrel. Very fun, but not very accurate. The biggest hold up is there are very few chassis/stock systems out there with folding stocks and short/removable forearms to accommodate a very short barrel.

I really don't see any realistic way to build a 5" barrel .22lr bolt action with folding stock outside of staying with the (very pricey in rimfire) Remington 700 footprint.

Even with the Remington 700 footprint JTAC and Black Collar arms are the only ones making something for barrels that short. Unsure if it would be cheaper to cut down and SBR a Bergara B-14R or build a pistol from a rimx action. Both options will cost me big money.

Attachments

• screetch owl.png
      screetch owl.png
      16.6 KB · Views: 200
    • Black-Collar-Arms.jpg
      Black-Collar-Arms.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 235

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'm pretty set on a bolt action. I already have a .22lr ar15 upper with 4.5" barrel. Very fun, but not very accurate. The biggest hold up is there are very few chassis/stock systems out there with folding stocks and short/removable forearms to accommodate a very short barrel.

I really don't see any realistic way to build a 5" barrel .22lr bolt action with folding stock outside of staying with the (very pricey in rimfire) Remington 700 footprint.

Even with the Remington 700 footprint JTAC and Black Collar arms are the only ones making something for barrels that short. Unsure if it would be cheaper to cut down and SBR a Bergara B-14R or build a pistol from a rimx action. Both options will cost me big money.

I was curious who makes that chassis in the 2nd photo?

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Anyone have experience or knowledge of how short a .22lr barrel can be and maintain a high degree of accuracy? Ideally I’d like to build a gun around a 4.5-7” barrel. Trying to narrow down exactly what length to make a small accurate SBR before I start.

Granted it’s a narrow market but no one is marketing target .22lr barrels under 9”. Kidd’s .5 MOA guarantee is only on its rifle barrels, MGM only makes barrels as short as 6.5” for the contender, and patriot valley ordinance is the only company making pistol barrels for the rimx action that I can find. Even then only at 9” or 12”.

Is there a mechanical reason a super short .22lr barrel cannot maintain accuracy or can a 4.5”-7” .22lr bolt action be capable of being built to shoot 1 MOA with match ammo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom