Where can I shoot while moving/rapid fire near Baltimore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Great idea but how can someone who has never competed in a match get good quality training and lessons? It appears (could be wrong, as my wife often tells me) but the ACG doesn't allow for private practice.

I started by going to a match and watching others. I found that there was not a lot of experience needed. I made sure to bring the required items as explained by the match directors.

Sure one needs to be extra careful when they first start moving with a firearm. I did not find my military training at the time to overly prepare me for combat pistol matches so I don't think people should be afraid to show up to a match. Maybe ask a match director if they have any issues.

But getting into the AGC is a bit of a process. I'm not sure if they open matches to none members.

Miguel

Oct 29, 2020
    thank you all for the replies! i will check out the matches you all recommended as well as thurmont and york.

Miguel

Oct 29, 2020
    Crawl. Walk. Run. If you lack experience and training, why are you looking to "run and gun"?

Take the advice offered by MEGARMS and others. Get involved in action shooting sports.

I would add: pay for some training from someone who knows what they're doing. If you need some recommendations, I or others can point you in good directions.

I was marine infantry, got out and now in the reserves and want to make sure i keep my 3x expert with this new rifle range qual we have. also looking into overseas contracting so want to make sure i stay proficient at shooting and moving

Miguel

Oct 29, 2020
    I went back and reread your objective and experience level. To be honest, you are not going to find a public/private range that is going to allow for you to set up and practice on your own for any sort of "running & gunning" with your level of experience. The best thing to do is just participate in some club matches (like we have at the AGC) and learn as you go.

I get this question emailed to me quite often and my recommendation is always the same. Get yourself a gun specific holster, 3 or more magazines, about 150 rounds of ammo (more if you miss a lot), and register for our next Falling Steel match (first weekend of every month).

This is a static event (no running around), single gun event that is perfect for the first time competitor. It is easy, fun, and there are lots of experienced folks there to help you out. The addition of a timer and spectators adds just enough pressure to make things interesting for the first time competitor, but in time you will come to learn to tune those out as nobody really cares how you shoot (as long as you keep the muzzle pointed in the right direction and your finger off the trigger until you have a sight picture).

Check out our youtube.com channel for some examples of what Falling Steel is and is not.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN3-Iw3ctUi6VzMDoG85r2dWPxGpIdAzS

The next match is Sunday May 2 and registration opens this Sunday morning at 8. You can register by clicking on the link below.

https://practiscore.com/agc-falling-steel-5-3-21-dashboard/register

I have also attached the rule sets that we use to govern this match.

You can send any questions you might have to matchdirector@agcrange.org and one of us will get back to you relatively quickly.

that looks fun thank you. can i ask you a question about it? can i sign up if i only have a pistol or do i need a pistol and a PCC? i only have pistols and AR15s, no PCC

Miguel

Oct 29, 2020
    i figured i was going to get a lot of baltimore comments. i plan on only shooting at paper/steel targets haha

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    that looks fun thank you. can i ask you a question about it? can i sign up if i only have a pistol or do i need a pistol and a PCC? i only have pistols and AR15s, no PCC

You can shoot with just a pistol, and that's what most people do. Some show up with only a PCC, some double-enter and shoot twice (that's me - I'll lose more weight if I spend my pizza money on a second gun at falling steel!).

No, no AR15s at Falling Steel. You can shoot rimfire if you want (no magnums), but all other long guns are all going to be pistol rounds ... 9, 40, 45 ... nothing hot like zippy 10mm or 5-7.

It's good fun! Zero, and I mean ZERO pressure to perform in any way other than safely.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    For falling steel you just need a pistol. I think AGC 3 gun matches will be a little more what you're looking for, we do a lot of moving and shooting, and offer a 2 gun division if you don't have a shotgun which would be great for your AR and pistol.

I think with your prior experience you'll be just fine, just make sure you follow the rules and all that. Don't worry too much I just showed up as a random guy with a gun and had a ton of fun and been doing it ever since.

Also starting in May on some Thursday nights there are more casual "practice" nights that give you the feel and experience of what it's like at a match without all the formality.

rooster

Rebel looking for a cause
    Aug 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Hello,

I'm looking for a range where I can shoot while moving as well as shoot rapidly without bothering anyone. I would be using .223/5.56 and 9mm. I believe delmarva sporting clays allows this but that is a very far drive. I see that AGC has shooting bays, do they allow this kind of shooting or are their bays only for events? Any recommendations? Thank you.
    The Maryland Thompson Collectors Association is an AGC affiliated gun club that shoots full auto at ACG 2 to 3 times a month. The next shoot is Saturday 5/1/21 at 12 noon at the Barnes Rifle Range. Come and have some good fun. Tell them Bruce sent you.

RoanWrangler

Dec 29, 2020
    Rick Torres offers group and individual training for shooting sports. Contact him and see what is being offered in the near future. It is worthwhile to receive some sport specific training before participating. Even if only for some understanding of the rules.
    https://torrestrainingsolutions.com/

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    For those new to the games, consider showing up on match day and embedding with a squad. Spend the day helping paste targets and maybe learn to run the timer or scoring device. You will see how things work, make new friends, and be much better able to decide if that game is for you.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom