• ...and so much more!
  • Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/144467925/Databases-Checked-for-Gun-Purchases

Courtesy of Delegate Mike Smigiel
    http://delegatemike.com/?p=3623

Databases Checked for Gun Purchases12-12-11
    Conduct an investigation of an applicant by querying the following databases:

Department of Mental Health and Hygene (DHMH)

National Instant Check System (NICS) - Pursuant to Federal law, NICS will only be queried for dealer sales of regulated firearms

National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Interstate Identification Index

NCIC Protection Order File

NCIC warrant check

NCIC stolen firearm check

Maryland Interagency Law Enforcement System (MILES) Civil Warrant/Order File

Maryland Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) - Identification Index System

Maryland Computerized Criminal History (CCH) On-Line

Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA)

Maryland Automated Firearms Services System (MAFSS)

Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Civil System Inquiry and Update Menu

Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Criminal System Inquiry

Judicial Information System District Court of Maryland Warrant System Menu

Maryland Division of Department of Parole and Probation

Maryland Department of Juvenile Services (ASSIST) database

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    I just did a quick Google search, and came up with this: http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=49

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is administered by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). A NICS check includes a check of three databases maintained by the FBI, including the—

1. Interstate Identification Index (III), a database of criminal history record information
    2. National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which includes information on persons subject to civil protection orders and arrest warrants
    3. NICS Index, which includes the information contributed by federal and state agencies identifying persons prohibited from possessing firearms who are not included in the III or NCIC, such as persons with a prohibiting mental health history or who are illegal or unlawful aliens.

I hope the list of databases is comprehensive and each is not checked individually, since it doesn't make sense for MSP to check NCIC for the same things already checked by NICS. On the other hand, this is the MSP we're talking about.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    The next question to ask the MSP is what portion of regulated firearms apps pass the NICS check but are disapproved based on one of the other checks. In other words, if FFLs were able to do their own NICS checks for regulated purchases, how many purchasers would "fall through the cracks" because they pass the NICS check but fail something else. I suspect it is a very small percentage.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I think the question to ask is, how many 'criminals' have these databases uncovered, as opposed to deadbeat dads, traffic scofflaws or citizens who just owe money to the state or local government??

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    All i can say is wow - glad to see MVA is assured of getting their owed money- gee wouldn't want them to wait 80+ days.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Wonder if the driving public would accept an 80 day wait for a driver's permit?

A third world govt is what we have.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Having done every check besides NICS I can tell you a properly trained person (which I'm assuming if you did these all day is) would have about 10 minutes or less of their time to check them all.

The only issue that would take more time is if you got a record back and had to figure out if the crime is prohibitive or not...but even then I'm guessing 15 minutes total for all the checks.

Most of those systems are kept on the same log on. So while you have to run each name in several different systems you arent logging into different systems to check them.

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    Gesh all you have to do is type in the persons name and computer searches the databases if nothing comes up move to thr next app, that should take what, all of 5min?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I wonder what MVA records they care about. # of speeding tickets? Suspended license? DUIs?

The third DUI makes a person a prohibited person for a year's time starting on the date of the third conviction and every subsequent conviction thereafter. So, maybe they are looking at that. However, that should show up on their search of the Judicial Information System.

Who knows what the heck they are looking for. Doesn't seem as though some of that stuff can be used to prohibit a person from buying a firearm.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    2500 Checks per week average, 10 min per check comes to 416 hours. Taking no breaks, with no checks requiring extra time, not counting notifications, printing letters, filing, that is a full 40 hour week for more than 10 people (10.4 approx). And even if a check can be done in 10 min, we all know that you can't sustain that rate for long. So I wonder how many they have in the section now?

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    2500 Checks per week average, 10 min per check comes to 416 hours. Taking no breaks, with no checks requiring extra time, not counting notifications, printing letters, filing, that is a full 40 hour week for more than 10 people (10.4 approx). And even if a check can be done in 10 min, we all know that you can't sustain that rate for long. So I wonder how many they have in the section now?

They say they are working 21 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you could meet 2500 checks using the above figures if you consistently had 3 people working at a time.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The third DUI makes a person a prohibited person for a year's time starting on the date of the third conviction and every subsequent conviction thereafter. So, maybe they are looking at that. However, that should show up on their search of the Judicial Information System.

Who knows what the heck they are looking for. Doesn't seem as though some of that stuff can be used to prohibit a person from buying a firearm.

That is what they are looking for, but I bet actual use of the databases shows neither is 100% - On the other hand, I certainly would like to know if I am correct.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The next question to ask the MSP is what portion of regulated firearms apps pass the NICS check but are disapproved based on one of the other checks. In other words, if FFLs were able to do their own NICS checks for regulated purchases, how many purchasers would "fall through the cracks" because they pass the NICS check but fail something else. I suspect it is a very small percentage.
    I bet those adjudicated to be crazy are caught on the MD databases, since the state won't/doesn't report them to NICS.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    my point was the ridiculous wait, regardless of whether it's a right or a privilege. You're right driving is a privilege but the public wouldn't put up with that level of inefficiency for one minute, even for that privilege

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    my point was the ridiculous wait, regardless of whether it's a right or a privilege. You're right driving is a privilege but the public wouldn't put up with that level of inefficiency for one minute, even for that privilege

I know. I was trying to be funny.

It doesn't always work out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom