• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bhdpal

Jan 3, 2013
    I purchased a brand new S&W M&P Full Size 9mm from a FFL Licensed Retail Gun Shop on 7/12/2013.

The trigger has a excessive amount of travel until it reaches the break. The trigger pull feels heavy and uncomfortable. The forward reset is also awkward.

I have read forum posts recommending the Apex Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit as an upgrade to M&P 9mm factory trigger.

Some of these "post" also recommended installing the 1/8" diameter Sear Spring for use in the more modern M&P Sear Housing Blocks equipped with a 1/8" diameter Sear Plunger.

Also recommended in this upgrade is the Ultimate Striker Block and Spring, and the Failure Resistant Extractor.

I some question I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me with before I make this purchase:

1. What Apex Kit do I need to purchase to improve the performance of the factory installed stock trigger in my M&P 9mm handgun?

2. Do I need to purchase the 1/8" diameter Sear Spring and Plunger or is my M&P 9mm already equipped with the modern Sear Housing Block with a 1/8" diameter Sear Plunger?

3. Do I need to purchase the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor and Apex Ram to complete this installation?

Thank You
    jp

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Duty Carry Kit or Competition Kit and a RAM would have you set up pretty well. The RAM is nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.

The extractor is unnecessary.

JCarlton81

Oct 13, 2012
    Severn
    I will begin by saying that I am biased toward the Apex FSS Trigger Kit because of my experience with 1911s, and I highly recommend you go with it. If you are just looking to improve the trigger you have, look at the APEX Action Enhancement Kit (AEK). This kit includes the Sear spring, so you won't need to purchase it seperately, and is available for Competition or Duty/Carry. I also high recomment the RAM, regardless of with trigger kit you go with.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Duty carry will lengthen and smooth out pre travel, shorten post travel and shorten reset. It does this by moving sear engagement back. It should also make reset more pronounced although you have a new M&P so your reset should be pretty pronounced right now. RAM will not work with newer M&P's because S&W using thumb safety sear block whether you have TS or not. Difference between duty carry and comp is trigger pull weight. Duty carry is 5+ lbs I think and comp is -3lbs I think. Difference between DCAEK or Comp to FSS is FSS supposedly makes trigger feel like single action. DCAEK and comp, trigger still feels like 2 stage, but smoother. So to answer your question, it depends on what you want to change on trigger. To remove grit, some say all you need is USB. Sear changes pre and post travel. I own a DCAEK so what I'm saying about everything else is not from first perspective.

Also, you should not have to add spring to sear block. You will need to check though. Newer M&Ps should have updated sear spring and sear block. Basically, there is plunger under sear. If it's tiny, you have old version. If it's fair size, i.e., you can grab with fingers, you probably have newer plunger and spring. Sorry can't give measurements. Old plunger was tiny and you had to use tweezers to move it...or really tiny fingers.

Last edited:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Another option is the Duty or Carry AEK with the trigger - shortened pretravel and reset, but not the degree of the FSS kit - thus you retain the ability to stage the trigger though with less travel.

bhdpal

Jan 3, 2013
    Many, Many Thanks to All who responded to my Thread. Your advise was dead on. I contacted Speed Shooter Specialties and spoke with their Tech. He recommended the DCAEK and the Polymer Action Enhanced Trigger Kit, which I purchased.
    I will do the instill myself and post the results under a new Thread.

JP

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Many, Many Thanks to All who responded to my Thread. Your advise was dead on. I contacted Speed Shooter Specialties and spoke with their Tech. He recommended the DCAEK and the Polymer Action Enhanced Trigger Kit, which I purchased.
    I will do the instill myself and post the results under a new Thread.

JP

Would you be able to take pictures or video as you go? I watched one video but it was not complete. Thanks

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I have the S&W Pro CORE in 40s&w. I’m trying to change the striker block and spring (Apex Flat Faced Forward Kit) but I don’t seem to have the correct size Allen wrench. Any idea what size or, does it require an Allen wrench? Different tool?

Attachments

• 01955D21-0AC7-488C-83A6-F8123DFF4DA2.jpg
      01955D21-0AC7-488C-83A6-F8123DFF4DA2.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 115

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I have the S&W Pro CORE in 40s&w. I’m trying to change the striker block and spring (Apex Flat Faced Forward Kit) but I don’t seem to have the correct size Allen wrench. Any idea what size or, does it require an Allen wrench? Different tool?

Yes. The size you need is 0.05. I actually had to go to the hardware store and buy one when I did mine.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Yes. The size you need is 0.05. I actually had to go to the hardware store and buy one when I did mine.

I just wanted to thank you again but also I wanted to add that Apex provides great videos showing how to install their products.
    The 0.05 Allen wrench size was definitely helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom