• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I attended the PRS Training event at Peacemaker this past weekend. Kestrel was there with some sample units and I was able to build out a profile for my 6.5 Creedmor load with the sales rep and give it a test run at various distances. It worked as advertised and I ended up buying the Elite model with my member discount. The next day we were shooting from 500-900 yards at the frontier range. Entered my data in the Kestrel app and was able to get correct first round elevation calls at every distance (first round hits with wind calls were correct about 80% of the time.) I think the Kestrel will become my go to tool for long range shooting and has replaced Ballistic AE for me.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I attended the PRS Training event at Peacemaker this past weekend. Kestrel was there with some sample units and I was able to build out a profile for my 6.5 Creedmor load with the sales rep and give it a test run at various distances. It worked as advertised and I ended up buying the Elite model with my member discount. The next day we were shooting from 500-900 yards at the frontier range. Entered my data in the Kestrel app and was able to get correct first round elevation calls at every distance (first round hits with wind calls were correct about 80% of the time.) I think the Kestrel will become my go to tool for long range shooting and has replaced Ballistic AE for me.

What's the member price, if you don't mind?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

Doesn't the Elite model interface with Ballistic AE and use the custom drag models from AE, or does it do everything that Ballistic AE does on its own.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Doesn't the Elite model interface with Ballistic AE and use the custom drag models from AE, or does it do everything that Ballistic AE does on its own.

It will interface with Ballistic AE and Strelock, but it also has its own app that can replace those two applications. It also uses the same custom drag models. They all use the same Applied Ballistics Bryan Litz data in the application. The Kestrel app is barebones and is basically a ballistic solver. The one nice feature is a multiple target engagement screen which comes in handy getting data for multiple targets on a stage.

The advantages of the stand alone apps like B AE are the additional features like having the ability to photograph the targets to determine spreads and other features.

Personally I like the straight forward nature of the Kestrel link app.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Thanks for posting these. I just downloaded CMP Match Tracker and I'm competing in some High Power matches this year so it looks useful at least for practice. I will check out the others too and add links to the main post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may like the app from Creedmoor Sports too, great for highpower matches and you can mark your shots on your iPad instead of using a datebook.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You may like the app from Creedmoor Sports too, great for highpower matches and you can mark your shots on your iPad instead of using a datebook.

Hey this is great and free too. Very simple and easy to use. Thanks for the suggestion.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Ill just leave this here... I can't wait for it to arrive

cf-lg.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/583825

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I updated the original post to include information about the GeoBalistic app. When integrated with the Weatherflow device it works as well as the Kestrel. Check it out.

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    I downloaded the ballistics calculator from Federal to my android phone and tablet. It's basic and requires you to manually reset zero to get MPBR but works without needed connectivity and was great for doing calcs for friends rifle in the field.(he 'forgot' his ammo, had to buy locally)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I discovered a very practical shooting app called Long Shot. It’s purpose it a tool help train long range shooters how to use a mil-dot reticle to range the distance of targets of known size. The app is actually setup like a ballistic calculator in that you have to plug in all of the typical calculator inputs like MV, BC, Weather details. Then you can let the app present a target at an Unknown distance. You practice using the reticle to determine the range and then you fire a test shot. You can also set wind speed as a random factor. What is cool is you can even practice holdovers on moving targets.

Its hard to explain so I made a short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGAcMOCfcJc

Sorry about the crappy quality. I’ll try to do a better one later. It was difficult to try use the app one handed.

Here are some screen shots too.

7d7f3aa07f022774dc3b62bbe568ac35.jpg

cab38a0271eac01957c12bd095bf80c3.jpg

d2ad844801e43a55b28cb2cb14a8c6e8.jpg

From what I can tell this is only available on iPhone but for $3 it’s a good price. If anyone downloads this and tries it out I would be interested in seeing what you think.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Here are a couple other iPhone/iPad target related apps. Think these are also available to android devices too.

iTarget
    https://www.itargetpro.com/

G-sight Laser Training Pro
    https://www.g-sight.com

Both of these are free to download and try from the apple apps/iTunes store.
    You may purchase training drills and other options on top of the basic application.

These programs work with laser "dry-fire" rounds (not constant bore sight lasers). The app uses your device's camera to detect where the fired laser fell on your target. In my experience the app is accurate within .5" of laser-fall. You set up your favorite paper target, aim the camera and shoot. The app gives you feed back on the screen where your shots group and an audible hit sound.

Any brand of momentary flash laser dry fire rounds will do (don't have to buy their brand).

Attachments

• g-sight.jpg
      g-sight.jpg
      18.8 KB · Views: 144
    • itarget-pro-review.jpg
      itarget-pro-review.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 148

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Here are a couple other iPhone/iPad target related apps. Think these are also available to android devices too.

iTarget

You may purchase training drills and other options on top of the basic application.

These programs work with laser "dry-fire" rounds (not constant bore sight lasers). The app uses your device's camera to detect where the fired laser fell on your target. In my experience the app is accurate within .5" of laser-fall. You set up your favorite paper target, aim the camera and shoot. The app gives you feed back on the screen where your shots group and an audible hit sound.

Any brand of momentary flash laser dry fire rounds will do (don't have to buy their brand).

I’ve used iTarget. It actually works pretty good for a free app. If you place the camera pretty close to the target I’ve found it’s probably better than 1/2”. It does miss shots from time to time.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD

iTarget

I bought myself G-sight for Christmas along with a 9 mm and a 45 cal laser. I'm impressed with it. I use it indoors to improve my "gun control". I'm even getting better with my Glock 19, which has been a bear for me to shoot with any degree of accuracy.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The hornady ballistics calculator app seems pretty awesome. Just playing with it, I set up saved profiles for my 8.5" pistol shooting the hornady 110 gr black load and my 16" rifle. It has a lot of flexibility and seems pretty intuitive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210501-112314.jpg
      Screenshot_20210501-112314.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 75
    • Screenshot_20210501-111749.jpg
      Screenshot_20210501-111749.jpg
      38.4 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members