The Colt Cobra reborn: a legend rides again (2017 model release)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    I'm a big Colt fan...but maybe it's just me, old school, but I don't care for the fiber optic front sight.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Guns & Ammo did a whole Magazine print on the COLT Line...picked it up at the airport on my way back to work...

It seems they're trying to re-enter all of the markets except for SF Pistols...

I guess because I've heard rumors of COLT Struggling this is a reinvention of the Company you might say...

Nice Pistol, make reconsider a Wheel Gun Again...

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Guns & Ammo did a whole Magazine print on the COLT Line...picked it up at the airport on my way back to work...

It seems they're trying to re-enter all of the markets except for SF Pistols...

I guess because I've heard rumors of COLT Struggling this is a reinvention of the Company you might say...

Nice Pistol, make reconsider a Wheel Gun Again...

As long as Colt doesn't devolve into another S&W, this is a good way for them to reboot the brand and refocus on the civilian firearms market. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. The Cobra has stirred-up a lot of interest. As long as they don't do something stupid, like drilling big, unsightly anti-liability holes in the side of the frame, I can see them taking a lot of market share from Ruger and S&W with almost anything they reintroduce.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Looking at its finish I'm disappointed that they are naming it after a snake gun. The Colts of old had some of the finest fit and finish I have ever seen. And for colt to so called reproduce them again with such a ruff unfinished look is very disappointing to me. Just my opinion! !!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Looking at its finish I'm disappointed that they are naming it after a snake gun. The Colts of old had some of the finest fit and finish I have ever seen. And for colt to so called reproduce them again with such a ruff unfinished look is very disappointing to me. Just my opinion! !!

I agree wholeheartedly.

It was disappointing to see their Model 1903 resurrection, with parkerised finish, priced above a decent example of the original.

I doubt Colt retains the human capital required to replicate the older revolvers, at least at the number of units needed to satisfy demand, at a price that would be considerably less than that which the older ones command today.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I got to shoot 24 rounds of 158gr FMJ thru Fidelity's this afternoon and I was impressed. It definitely has a Colt 'feel' to it and was very comfortable to shoot both SA and DA. I give it: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Wow, one Colt Cobra at the show. I got something else instead.
    What was it priced at?
    I got to shoot 24 rounds of 158gr FMJ thru Fidelity's this afternoon and I was impressed. It definitely has a Colt 'feel' to it and was very comfortable to shoot both SA and DA. I give it:
    We lucked out at the Frederick IWLA this afternoon. Had a good time with you and DA.

I also found the Cobra to be a very comfortable shooter. Better than the Model 60 and SP101 in terms of ergos, but not quite as good as the Model 64. Need to do a more formal evaluation with different ammo at Heritage (and I want to shoot the small revolvers at 7 yards at chest level targets vs 10 yards at a couple feet off the ground as we did today).

You were right about your PPQ 45. I think you got a special one. Someone must have had a good day at the factory and tweaked the trigger. It's a better PPQ trigger than the many that I've tried, including on the Q5 Match.

Between the PPQ 45 and the S&W Governor that DA brought, I've got a couple more favorites.

Pic of the Governor and Cobra from today's range session below ...
    f9d3a615e9e174bbe6906695f551135e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    DA's Governor was fun, wasn't it? It had been several years since I shot a Governor and had never tried it with .410 before. That thing got a nice little workout today.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yeah, the S&W Governor was much softer shooting than I expected.

Even with 45 Long Colt, it felt milder than shooting a mid-powered 357 Magnum round from a S&W 686 with 3-inch barrel.

The 410 slugs, as we calculated there, are 110 grain projectiles, so less mass than the 158 grain 38 Special rounds (albeit, with the cross sectional diameter approaching 0.45 inches).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

It looks better outside under the sun.

People have been polishing the new Cobras, and they look pretty swell. Here's one sold by colt4me! on GB ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/658933996

(pasting a couple of his/her pics below)

More polished examples ...
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/672808903
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/671501993

These guys will apparently polish them for $375 according to a poster on the Colt forum.

... I doubt Colt retains the human capital required to replicate the older revolvers, at least at the number of units needed to satisfy demand, at a price that would be considerably less than that which the older ones command today.

Although the process for making the new Cobras is much more automated than in past eras (where Colt did a lot of handfitting, and because of their dependence on gunsmiths, was eventually surpassed by S&W in profit margins on revolvers), they still needed gunsmiths to work on the new Cobras so pulled in help from their already backlogged Custom Shop. Colt's old way of making their premium revolvers can no longer be replicated on a scale to reduce production costs so they aren't selling to a very small marketshare.

In truth, this revolver could have been more appropriately called the Detective Special III, but it's a cumbersome name. Although it lacks pizzazz in its current matte finish, for concealed carry, after trying it on the range, I put it above a J-frame (too small to grip), K-frame (somewhat large to carry), and SP101 (grip geometry slows me down when getting on target). It's fast to get a good purchase on and leveled toward a target with their new grip angle. If they can get enough out the door, it's a good way to start establishing their name in the DA/SA market before selling something pricier (that they might not even have the manpower to produce in scale).

Attachments

• pix416662286.jpg
      pix416662286.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 258
    • pix307349220.jpg
      pix307349220.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 253
    • pix250936228.jpg
      pix250936228.jpg
      25.6 KB · Views: 260

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    For the $1400 paid for the polished example above, you can get maybe three C&R Detective Specials if you're patient; that's one for each hand and a backup, just in case.

With all the factory automation available and in use, prices on new revolvers seem overbalanced on the high side IMO. I bought a Colt New Service in 45LC for less than 500 a year or so ago. Finish was worn, but it had been reworked by a gunsmith prior to sale; DetSpl with a hammer shroud for 400. I have no doubt you could beat those prices if you went to the right auctions.

Regarding S&W J-frames, Tyler T-grips make them fit my hand nicely.

I am forced to admit the polished new Colt above is a thing of beauty. In the long run, it will outlast the attractiveness of most females of the species, and be considerably cheaper as well.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great review Fidelity!
    Only needs a range trip report. Have you considered doing video reviews, you may be missing your calling.

You shouldn't have said anything. Now Minuteman is going to try and beat it with a review of the latest .380 caliber led rechargeable flashlight pocket knife tool.

Aw, geez. That's nice, you read my posts. :D

I want one!!!

I feel Colt didn't quite reach the legendary reputation of the original. Many collectors will want one of these if even just for the name. Maybe they were just testing the market and will later come out with other more collectible versions. I'd be more interested if a high polish, better fit/finish, with wood grips (or some such).

Now Kimber on the other hand, with the K6S...

Also reviewed by our friend Fidelity: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=212626&highlight=Cobra

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I really regret not trying to find a Colt Python or Trooper back in the late 80's when I could have more easily found one. I did not have a lot of money back then. I will definitely look at one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom