• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Very nice.:thumbsup: I think 870's used to be a little nicer, but I've always believed that Mossberg was the best value if you just wanted a shotgun that worked. Friends and family have had Winchesters and Rem's that had issues. In my inner sanctum of relationships there are probably 20+ Mossbergs, and I can't recall any of them ever having any problems.

Next, you should get one with an 18inch barrel...just cuz :shrug: If you like wood, you can get a basic big box store 500 and add the short barrel.

(I just can't believe you didn't have a 12ga pump already!:shocked3:)

Nice looking gun.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Bought this ATI Scorpion myself, good shooter and love pretty much everything about it except three minor things:
    1) Other posts are correct, at about $650 it was probably too much (@ Dicks).

They had one in stock at the Frederick Dick's Sporting Goods. It actually felt really comfortable when I tried it out. I just didn't want to spend that much. It's listed at $550 now, but they will go down. I spoke to a sales manager, and he said that if I can show him the price from a major internet retailer, he would match it. They run as low as $450 now ...

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/015813504249?view=list&mobile=true

Although you pay tax when buying at DSG (and in truth, one is supposed to for most internet out of state purchases), you don't have the additional shipping charge and transfer fee tacked on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Find yourself a $150 Wingmaster at a pawn shop.

20031877_10158969330215585_6283291479129972232_n.jpg

Spend a little time and some help from Magpul and a cerakoting job....

20229124_10159017224870585_5645543440785707759_n.jpg

Still under $500

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Joe, I followed your last thread on your 870 pick up, and it was lust inducing.

I forgot all about that....I guess I am having senior moments.

That said, The Gun Shop in Essex usually has some bargain shotguns...you can certainly find one in there for $250 or less.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I really do think used shotguns are super cost effective, esp. if you can still get parts and accessories for it. Unlike a rifle, is it even possible to shoot out the barrel of a shotgun requiring a replacement?

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    I got a Mossy 500 field combo at Dicks in Frederick last year for around $400

Sorry, left the foot out

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
      IMG_0068.jpg
      108.1 KB · Views: 228

PIPES

Apr 6, 2013
    I'd try to find a old police magnum 870 with rifle sights. That way you can swap out for a longer vent rib without issue later on.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    After range days yesterday and today, I'm wondering why it took me so long to get a 12-gauge pump. Too much fun.

First pic is from yesterday and second pic is from today at Heritage (mix of Federal tactical slugs and 00 buck flight control - amazing stuff - tight patterns at a distance). Zzzzz_man, Schipperke, and Mike (squaring up in last pic) all took turns today.

c390259bde3774ae922e240322625957.jpg
    91d57bf16bb24b99c359c4b149bcf623.jpg
    198f58075836ea96460dc400f8e3461c.jpg

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    870. Period.

I'm no fan of the Mossberg 500 line. Been there. Done that. Had the headaches.

Aluminum receiver.
    The 500 that I had, developed a burr on the disconnect, and even after going back to the manuf. a couple of times, shooting hard recoiling loads put more burrs on the disconnect, again.

I've gotten (read as won) a couple of Mossberg(s) and sold 'em.
    From .410 to a 12 ga combo set, to a 28" 12 ga.
    Gone.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    870. Period.

I'm no fan of the Mossberg 500 line. Been there. Done that. Had the headaches.

Aluminum receiver.
    The 500 that I had, developed a burr on the disconnect, and even after going back to the manuf. a couple of times, shooting hard recoiling loads put more burrs on the disconnect, again.

I've gotten (read as won) a couple of Mossberg(s) and sold 'em.
    From .410 to a 12 ga combo set, to a 28" 12 ga.
    Gone.

The debate continues! :D

20-25 years ago I would've agreed with you wholeheartedly. A 12ga. 870 Wingmaster was the only shotgun I had ever owned during the 70's, 80's and 90's. Now, I'm not so sure. I like both the 870 and the 500 for different reasons but as far as build-quality and functionality I really don't see a whole lot of difference. Both work extremely well so what it comes down to is a matter of personal preference.

I liked Fidelity's 500 Tactical so much after shooting it that I decided it was time to add a shotgun for HD to my own collection. The 500 is a lot of shotgun for the money but then so is the 870. The issue of steel vs. aluminum receiver was never really a factor (for me) because the Mossberg is all-steel where it really counts: between the bolt and the breech. If steel is supposedly so much better than aluminum, why was the 590A1 the only pump shotgun to pass all of the torture tests for adoption by the military?

Then again... there's no arguing with all-steel construction. There's a reason why the 870 has the reputation for reliability and long-term durability that it has. My older brother received an 870 Wingmaster for his 18th birthday in 1970. It still has the smoothest pump-action of any shotgun I've ever used and as far as I know, hasn't ever had a problem of any kind.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either a 500 or an 870. That Wilson Combat-modded 870 that Hickok45 shoots in the video, though, is something I wouldn't mind owning. :innocent0

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    And on this date on MDS in 1964, debate centered on the comparative upstart Remington 870, as it had driven the final nails into the coffin of a comparative but costly to produce engineering marvel, the Winchester Model 12. Also attending the funeral was an even newer upstart, the Mossberg Model 500. Which would itself later be largely responsible for spawning the creation of the Remington Express, as the comparatively much more expensive to produce Wingmaster looks back over its shoulder.

The beat goes on, now as then. There's great, there's good, and there's good enough. And always at a price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom