• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Know of anybody that could to a quick power wash on one side of the house? Just need to remove algae build up. No higher than 30 feet.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    LOL...no higher than 30 feet... im looking at a similar issue. i think i may rent a lift and do mine. That way i can replace all the spot lights i cant reach.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    get a product called "Spray and forget"
    get it from home depot or Lowes.
    Get the version that attaches to the hose.
    It will turn the green stuff black within a day or two, then slowly fade after each rain fall
    It takes a week or two to totally facebut then it won't come back for over a year.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I had a member here BrianinMD do my whole house and some other work. He was very professional and his guys did a great job. I’m not sure where you are located of if he would do just one side.

I’ve also used WetAndForget cleaner too with some level of success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Picked up one of these from Home Depot for under $100. Electric, comes with three nozzles. Bought it for primarily to clean my flagstone front steps. Also got rid of the green pollen and gunk on my Hardi-board siding. Just plug into an outside outlet, hookup to hose and your good to go.

Attachments

• ABE2AFF4-10FA-47E8-8546-93A8BE97BA68.jpg
      ABE2AFF4-10FA-47E8-8546-93A8BE97BA68.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 731

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It will turn the green stuff black within a day or two, then slowly fade after each rain fall
    It takes a week or two to totally facebut then it won't come back for over a year.

I use EZ House Wash. Same idea.

The one side of my house can get pretty bad but this stuff cleans it up nicely and it looks better over time. I didn't have to touch it this year.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I have a five horsepower gas power washer and still have to do it every year. Problem is it takes all day to do just the side of the house. It never gets sun.
    Now it hurts my back to do it for more than an hour so I have to either find another way or hire one of these power wash companies. I'm going to try these products you guys recommend fist. Glad I procrastinated again. lol

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I have a five horsepower gas power washer and still have to do it every year. Problem is it takes all day to do just the side of the house. It never gets sun.
    Now it hurts my back to do it for more than an hour so I have to either find another way or hire one of these power wash companies. I'm going to try these products you guys recommend fist. Glad I procrastinated again. lol

You'll be done pretty quickly compared to power washing. Make sure you spray down any plants with water before and after to keep them from dying. The bleach solution is weak but can kill them if you aren't careful.

You may not see immediate results so take your time and don't let the solution dry. The time consumed will be less back breaking work and more making sure you sprayed it properly. It works really well. Wear old clothes.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Guys I’d love to take care of fellow MDshooters members as I own a professional power washing and wood restoration business, so long as you are within decent range of Harford/Cecil/Balt co. Been at this since 2003
    PM me if you’d rather just relax, drink a beer and watch me make quick work of a dirty house

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    You'll be done pretty quickly compared to power washing. Make sure you spray down any plants with water before and after to keep them from dying. The bleach solution is weak but can kill them if you aren't careful.

You may not see immediate results so take your time and don't let the solution dry. The time consumed will be less back breaking work and more making sure you sprayed it properly. It works really well. Wear old clothes.

I don't have much growing on the side of the house. At the bottom of this wall is what I refer to as a rock garden. There is a sidewalk between there and the lawn, so I should be good. Thanks for the advice. My arthritis kills me after a little of that.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    LOL...no higher than 30 feet... im looking at a similar issue. i think i may rent a lift and do mine. That way i can replace all the spot lights i cant reach.

Not sure where you are but ABC rental in Catonsville once rented me an extended wand for pressure washing. It attached like any power wash wand and then extended to about twenty feet so I could hit the high points on the side of my house. This was several years ago but I assume they still rent such a thing.

Edit: Found it https://www.abceqrental.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=19&key=7612

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.

I've tried Spray and Pray before with mixed results?????

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I had a similar issue. My cousin owns a professional power washing/house cleaning business. When I asked him if I could power wash my vinyl siding he started laughing at me. Apparently the high pressure will force water behind the siding and can create mold issues or rot. He recommended using a bleach solution with the power washer from farther away. I followed his advice and the bleach stuff worked well. Some of the thicker areas required a little scrubbing from a ladder but it's way better than it was. I used Moldex house wash. It worked well on the vinyl siding but I tried it on the composite deck and it didn't work as well, I guessing due to the porous nature of the decking.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I had a similar issue. My cousin owns a professional power washing/house cleaning business. When I asked him if I could power wash my vinyl siding he started laughing at me. Apparently the high pressure will force water behind the siding and can create mold issues or rot. He recommended using a bleach solution with the power washer from farther away. I followed his advice and the bleach stuff worked well. Some of the thicker areas required a little scrubbing from a ladder but it's way better than it was. I used Moldex house wash. It worked well on the vinyl siding but I tried it on the composite deck and it didn't work as well, I guessing due to the porous nature of the decking.

I was told something similar by an expert. Those pressure washers can do some damage if you're not careful.

Either way, it's so much easier to use that cleaning solution.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It depends on the psi.. you don't want to use high psi and wrong nozzle on a vinyl siding.
    I was told something similar by an expert. Those pressure washers can do some damage if you're not careful.

Either way, it's so much easier to use that cleaning solution.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It depends on the psi.. you don't want to use high psi and wrong nozzle on a vinyl siding.

I agree with you. Unfortunately the average joe, like me, doesn't have the tools or knowledge to use that properly. Most people assume more pressure equals cleaner siding.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Not sure where you are but ABC rental in Catonsville once rented me an extended wand for pressure washing. It attached like any power wash wand and then extended to about twenty feet so I could hit the high points on the side of my house. This was several years ago but I assume they still rent such a thing.

Edit: Found it https://www.abceqrental.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=19&key=7612

I bought one of those extension "gizmos" and they WORK!!!!!!!

Mine extends beyond 24', and I bought a couple of extra "extension wands" from HD and can get to 30' or more.

It works GREAT............. HOWEVER!!!!!!! I've got a bad back, and can't hold that thing up for very long, without MAJOR pain later.

I've paid a couple of different people to pressure wash (lower pressure but enough to do the job), and one guy out of Calvert County (I think) GUARANTEED my house would be clean.
    Ha!!!!!!! He got called back THREE times, because the man/woman couple spent more time smoking cigarettes and smooching, than cleaning.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There are long extensions that have a downward angled head so that it sprays down, instead of up and under the vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom