• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    So I’ve looked on here and msp website with no real answer. I want to fill out a 77r to have available when needed if I find the handgun I want. But I cannot find the answer to how long it will be good for. So if I filled out an 77r application today, got pin and password, how long before that is no good or can’t be used any longer for the purchase of a regulated firearm? Thanks

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I think you're confusing the 77r with the HQL.

The 77r is filled out at the time of purchase, and includes the description and serial number of the specific individual handgun being purchased. The submission of the 77r is the beginning of the 7 day waiting period.

The HQL is good for 10 years, and you need to have that first before buying a handgun, unless the handgun is C&R eligible.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    Shaves 5 minutes off the wait?

No. More then that. The 77r can only be filled out online now. So. If you find the gun you want before filling out a 77r you will have to then fill it out online. Wait for msp to send you that id and pin. Then you must submit that back to the ffl for them to enter into the portal and begin the 7 day wait. Usually this takes a day I think.... but i can’t remember. It could be instantly.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The advantage is you can fill out the first part at home and then go looking. When you find something you want the FFL can complete his part right then and not have to wait for you to go back home and start the process. It saves a trip.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think you're confusing the 77r with the HQL.

The 77r is filled out at the time of purchase, and includes the description and serial number of the specific individual handgun being purchased. The submission of the 77r is the beginning of the 7 day waiting period.

The HQL is good for 10 years, and you need to have that first before buying a handgun, unless the handgun is C&R eligible.

No, you can start a 77r, waiting for serial number and firearm ID. Saves time at the dealer.

But they do expire.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I think that they expire after 6 months, I have an unused one from August that was still active yesterday. I am going to try to use it on this coming Wednesday for a transfer. If it does go through, I have a newer one on hand. I usually keep several filled out ahead of time, as almost every time I log on to the MSP website, I have to do a verification code or change my password.:sad20:
    I have a bad habit of walking into a gun shop, to pick up a handgun and seeing anther one that I want.:innocent0

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I have one that I filled out, status is "Submitted To Application Pool", and that is still in my list,. I created it more than a year ago. The date forwarded and expiration columns are marked with dashes ( "-").

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    We have seen multiple 77R applications go through after 6 months in age, and I processed a 77R yesterday from 2017. The store owner indicated he had also processed a 77R from 2017. The 180 day limit appears lifted for now...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IIRC the online manual said unused 77’s age off the system after 180 days

But I’d have to go back and reread it to be sure

Inspector1489

Ultimate Member
    May 27, 2016
    FL panhandle
    My 77r went to application pool on 8/1/18. Picked up my item after 7 day wait from FFL 1/16/19. I asked FFL about expiration and was told they don't. Keep as many as you want on file, they just sit until used.
    But it's Maryland so....ymmv.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    Our gun shop has been telling customers the 180 expiration date until sometime last fall, when we noticed that 77rs older than 6 months started going through. We've seen no update in the policy as swinokur notes, so I've always surmised that either the policy has been relaxed but not been advertised, or, there is a glitch in the software allowing the older 77rs to be processed. I'm purchasing another pistol next month after my Scorpion comes in this week, and I'm going to try one of my older 77rs from 2017 and see if it works...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It seems they are good for at least 2 years.

I started one in 2017, and it is still in the system and active enough to send me the email with the PIN.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    The oldest one I processed from the other side of the counter was a hair over 9 months old so I can say at least that long. If you fill one out and it expires the only thing you're out is the 5 minutes it took to fill it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom